Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi All. I had my seminar with the Doc and his nutritionist. I was dead set on getting the band, but after the seminar, and going through the pros and cons, I don't know. He didn't try to influence us in any way. He just went over the pros and cons.

He said with the band you can only expect to lose 45-55% of your excess weight, whereas 65-75% with gastric bypass. He said it takes sometimes 2-3 years to lose it with the band, and 1 year with gastric bypass.

I also have GERD, which he said could be a contraindication to the band. With the gastric bypass it is totally eliminated.

He also does not do a fill at all until approximately 6-8 weeks after surgery.

Thanks. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Susan

Every person is different and I think how much you are willing to change your lifestyle effects what % of your excess weight you will lose and to some degree the speed at which you will lose. I have lost about 79% of my excess in about 7 months. I think if you search the board you will find a ton of successful losers.

The issue of not being filled until 6-8 weeks is fairly common and while a lot of people have a tough time - they make it thru.

I cant help you with the GERD because I have never had that.

You have to be comfortable with what ever you chose. I knew passed on the risks, and # of people who regain the weight that GBP wasnt for me.

Good luck with what ever you chose.

I had GERD... its gone... I was banded July 2008 ... almost 8 months ago and i have lost 100 pnds... im 5 pnds from my goal... 170 isnt my ideal weight... but it looks the best on me... My sleep apnea is gone... You have to want the surgery... no one can talk you into it... My friend had gastric 1 month after me... i have lost more weight to date then him... Dr's get paid like $10,000-$20,000 more to do bypass... so i see some pushing it more then lapband... its sad but true....

PS

My Dr wouldnt fill until 6 weeks too... that is the protcol for the Inamed lapband...

My physician told me the same thing too. However, I had done my research and already decided that I did not want the gastric bypass surgery. I was not comfortable with having malabsorption my entire life and all of the other side effects from the bypass. I didn't want to be old and in a nursing home some day and my kids trying to figure out how to get nutrients into me. I didn't want to be "different" my whole life, (I've already spent a lot of it being different and I'm finished with it). It was completely a personal decision. I knew the statistics, but also knew that with diet and exercise and determination, I could have the results that I wanted with the lapband.

True, your weigt loss may be a little slower, but it will appear more natural, and your body will have more time to adjust to the changes. It just seemed like the healthier option for me.

I have friends who have had bypass and they swear by it. I have friends who have had the lapband and they swear by it. It's a personal journey and a personal choice. The route you choose it yours entirely. I wish you the best of luck with your decision. :party:

I agree with everyone on the board here. One thing also to consider is this: my doctor said that initial weight loss is faster with GBP, however after 5 years GBP and LB patients have the same amount of weight lost. Also, about the GERD, I don't have that either, but if you try LB and find it doesn't work because of the GERD, you can have the band removed. You cannot have GBP "undone". This is what helped me make my final decision for LB.

Any chance your GERD is related to a hiatal hernia? I had horrible heartburn pre-op, and my surgeon actually repaired a very small hiatal hernia I had at the same time that he did the lapband. I didn't even know I had the hernia, but he did tell me that he'd fix it if he got in there and found one.

Guess what? I've been banded for 6 weeks and have not had ANY problems with heartburn, GERD, etc. It's the most wonderful feeling! He did say that most people, even after just losting the first 20 - 30 pounds, notice a major improvement with any sort of acid indigestion.

Also, my surgeon gave me a 2 - 3 cc fill when he put the LB in. I've lost 30 pounds since New Year's, when I started the pre-op liquid diet (had a second fill about a week and a half ago).

I realize it's going to be different for everyone, and maybe I'm biased, but I think the LB is the best way to go!

I agree Susan it is a confusing decision to make if your only source of reference is your doctor. I suggest reviewing medical journal for studies pertaining to WLS. Some times they offer free WLS study reports on their web sites.

JAMA, the Journal of the American Medical Association, a weekly peer-reviewed medical journal published by AMA

Mayo Clinic medical information and tools for healthy living - MayoClinic.com

I would also attend support groups for both banding and by-pass patients and ask them how they are doing. Find out if they have any regrets witth their procedure.

When I was trying to make my decision, I went back and forth from thinking I would have the band and then swining back to having the by-pass.

I wanted the least amount of complications and risks, so I picked the band.

Good luck with your journey!:thumbup: