Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can my body really become a small size?

Can my body really become smaller like a size 8 or below? I don't even remember being that size--EVER! The smallest size that I can remember is 14 and that's when I was a teenager! I've always been overweight my whole life so I have nothing to use as a skinny me- there's never been a skinny me. Heck! I'll be real happy when I see size 10- that to me is tiny!

My goal is to be at 175 lbs and for me that's an attainable goal...However, I see many bandsters surpassing their goal weight and it makes me think that perhaps my goal is not challenging enough- for me?

Can anyone tell me when...

- Your mind finally clicked and you could "SEE" yourself in a small size?

- If you were ever feeling like I do and now you are a smaller than 8 size?

I feel very inspired when I look at profiles and I see bandsters in size 8 and below...But I think my mind cannot conceive of it yet... The biggest size I've worn is 24 at 257 lbs and 5'5"

Am I alone in feeling this way? I just haven't found any profiles or forums mentioning this issue.

Can my body really become smaller like a size 8 or below?

Am I alone in feeling this way? I just haven't found any profiles or forums mentioning this issue.

I was a 22/24 just 2 years ago. I wore 16s for the longest time because I WAS a 16 (in my mind). Then while getting a bargain deal I tried on a jacket- size 10. I almost hit the floor. This was January 2008.

I've been wearing size 8s since March 2008 and I went on a shopping vacation to Las Vegas to buy all these new wardrobe pieces- after all, didn't I deserve a new designer wardrobe?

Well, over the past few months my family and friends have commented on how I should go down a size, at least. Yep, one long look in the mirror showed a woman wearing the baggiest clothes.

So, off again on a shopping vacation - Hilton Head Island, SC..... I can't sleep tonight as I'm writing from the hotel.

Size 4. Yep, with room. I fluctuate between 4-6 or S thru L for my tops because I didn't lose weight up there like I thought I would.

So, to answer your questions....yes you can! And yes you will!

My goal was 150, I'm 5'4". At 150 I would be considered overweight slightly on the BMI charts. I got down to 140 without knowing it and had an adjustment to stop the weightloss. Now, I'm 136lbs and just need to pick up the pace with food to maintain.

You are not alone and the reality just hit me. I still think there must be some mistake with the clothing labels. Ralph Lauren/ Liz Claborne/ Izod/ Tommy Hilfiger..... surely these S for smalls are really a Medium or Large. And surely the size 4's are just a misprint.

:wink:

Wow! I really appreciate your input. We are actually almost the same in starting stats! I am 5'5 and started at 257 lbs wearing size 24. And you're in a size 4!!! Really, I just can't even visualize that for myself. But I am glad to know it's a possibility.

Right now I'm just spending so much time in the closet getting rid of things...can't wait to have that surprise moment too.

thanks!

Edited by bunnygirl

Its almost impossible to imagine. There's nothing wrong with having a goal you can at least visualise and changing it later.

I agree with Jachut, there is nothing wrong with changing your goal as you go along. The smallest size I remember was a 13. The last time I went shopping for clothes it was for my step son's wedding and I bought a size 30. Last week I went shopping for a vacation and I got 22's. I cant wait until I can get into a 14 and then I can reconsider my goal.

My doctors goal for me was 150 I'm now 144 in a loose 6 Yes you can get small check out my profile pics.I'm going for 135 I think that should be my final goal..

Can my body really become smaller like a size 8 or below? I don't even remember being that size--EVER! The smallest size that I can remember is 14 and that's when I was a teenager! I've always been overweight my whole life so I have nothing to use as a skinny me- there's never been a skinny me. Heck! I'll be real happy when I see size 10- that to me is tiny!

My goal is to be at 175 lbs and for me that's an attainable goal...However, I see many bandsters surpassing their goal weight and it makes me think that perhaps my goal is not challenging enough- for me?

I feel very inspired when I look at profiles and I see bandsters in size 8 and below...But I think my mind cannot conceive of it yet... The biggest size I've worn is 24 at 257 lbs and 5'5"

I was a 22/24 when i started this process. Even though in high school i was a size 2/4 I could never even imagine being that size again .

I am now a size 4 but go back and forth between a 4 and a 6.

I can tell you this . I do not see myself as Small though. I See myself as SmallER but not small. I no longer just recently see myself as fat . I still do not like what i see in the mirror. Most of that has to do with the hanging skin i have. But I do not feel like a fat person anymore.

I can tell you this . Do not sell yourself short.

If you want to be a size 4 or 140 pds and it takes you 2 yrs to get there then it takes you 2 yrs to get there.

My OB Told me when i started this to expect to lose only that!. So expect to lose and your goal will come .

You can do it . Will there be frustration along the way ? Sure. but its part of the process and the end results is AWESOME .

The rewards far out weight the frustrations .

One of THE BEST days I have had recently: Going over to my parnets house and my sister cleaning out her closet and giving me her clothes she no longer wanted. Big deal right?

My sister is 17 and a size 4 !!!!!

Hang in there its ALL WORTH IT In the end !!

LOve

Mindy

Also one of the best ways to "SEE" Your progress is pictures.

take pictures often. I did not see my progress until i looked at pictures.

To this day If i buy something I go home take a picture of me in it and see if i like what i see.

That's why i have some many progress pics !! !

So take pics ! If you start feeling like " I have not made any prgoress compare yourself to the before and the nows , you will change your mind !

Mindy

Hi guys! My name is Holly and I got my band in may 2008. I am doing ok. I have lost 100 pounds but still have another 100 to loose. I started at 357 or something and im down to 257. I am having a hard time loosing now though but the entire time i have had the band I have not worked out. I'm guessing by looking at you guys on here that you work out and that if I did it would probably make a HUGE difference... Anyways i think most of you weren't as heavy as me when u started out. But just wanted to get some advice... Thanks :wink:

I totally get you gf - my original goal was 170 - I thought I looked pretty good when I got to that weight in the 80's.

Then as I go closer to 170 - I thought oh go for 160 - well did that then thought I would strive for 145 which gave me a normal bmi.

I started out 22/24 for top - 18/20 Pants - 2X dress - 5'4 250lbs.. Well got to 14's in Dec 07 thought I looked damn good - then got to 10's in Feb oh ya this is as small as I am going to get - May 08 goal weight 160- size 8 - omw I can't belleive it - I'm sure I won't get any smaller - 6/08 size 6 - and 100 lbs gone by 7/24/08 (10 below goal) - well I just kept eating healthy and exercising - living my new lifestyle and guess what lost another 12 lbs by 9/08 and down to a size 4...

I still today look in the mirror and don't beleive what I see - but truly now I see the real me that was hiding under all that fat.

Yes it's attainable - I never thought it would be - but if you eat healthy - exercise - it will get you to where you want to be - or shall I say where your body wants to be - Happy Weight - I am no longer losing - but not having a problem maintain as I am eating like I should (healthy) and working out 3-4 times a week...

But you know what - the smaller size is icing on the cake for me - what I am enjoying most - is how much better I feel, how much more energy I have - How much easier it is to live life not carrying around 112 extra pounds...

Edited by IndioGirl55

Hi Bunny Girl. I've been overweight as long as I can remember - through elementary, middle and high school until last year. When I decided the lap band was the answer for me, my husband asked me what size I wanted to get to or what weight. I had no idea! I was afraid of saying outloud what I really wanted. I weighed 155 in high school.

I'm only 5'1". I decided to make 150 my first goal. When I reached it, I realized I wasn't finished yet. Now my goal is 135. I'm 1 pound away - hope to make it by April 12, my bandiversary! I'm size 6 - 8. I went shopping 2 weeks ago. I took all these size 12 pants in the room with me. Came out and got size 10's. Back out again for size 8's. Size 6 fit really well, a bit snugger then I'm used to by not too tight. So, I bought 2 size 8 and 2 size 6 pants. I was a sweating mess by the time I was finished. The girls working in the store were laughing at me because they tried to convince me in the first place that there was no way I was a size 12.

I'm debating if my next goal is to maintain 135 for some time, move down to 130 or perhaps move down to 125. I figure I'll come up with the answer in the next few weeks. My shirt size is medium now (size DD breasts, though they are a HECK of a lot longer now then they used to be!). My sweat pants are size small.

I'm so excited for you. When I started dropping pants sizes was when I really believed I could do it. I went to the mall with my mom yesterday just to walk around. We walked by the bathing suits. She asked if I wanted to try one on since it's been years since I owned one. I told her it doesn't matter what size you are, you have to prepare to try on bathing suits! Good luck, make realistic goals, and make best case scenario goals. All of the goals will help keep you sane in your journey to your maintenance weight!

About...

But you know what - the smaller size is icing on the cake for me - what I am enjoying most - is how much better I feel, how much more energy I have - How much easier it is to live life not carrying around 112 extra pounds...

Attached Thumbnails16488d1236967579t-can-my-body-really-become-small-size-feb-07-july-07.jpg

IndioGirl,

I am soooo glad you shared this with me and others reading this link. You look absolutely stunning in your photos. Your success- seeing you in those pics- really puts hope back in perspective. Thanks for sharing!

About...

I'm so excited for you. When I started dropping pants sizes was when I really believed I could do it. I went to the mall with my mom yesterday just to walk around. We walked by the bathing suits. She asked if I wanted to try one on since it's been years since I owned one. I told her it doesn't matter what size you are, you have to prepare to try on bathing suits! Good luck, make realistic goals, and make best case scenario goals. All of the goals will help keep you sane in your journey to your maintenance weight!

Heaviest: 217 eek.gif / Surgery: 210 :lol: / Current: 135 :thumbup: / Goal: 135:thumbup:

Hey CubsGirl,

I loved reading how others tried to convince you that you were smaller while you were trying on those clothes! I am so happy that through others experience I can "see" myself getting there as well. I'm so happy we are all here to support each other and that even though great peers like you and IndioGirl and others already at their goals take the time to fill with hope others who are just starting out or in the middle of the journey. Thank you!

I started out at 225 and 5'4.5". I was a size 20. My doc set a goal of 150 for me but I want to reach 135 in order to get in the middle of the healthy BMI range.

I'm at 147 and a size 6. I bought a bunch of 6s and yet I still recheck the tag everytime I go to the bathroom or change clothes! LOL I actually feel like an imposter when I take 6s to the dressing room. I never thought I'd be this size, I was really aiming for a 10 or as a pipe dream an 8, now I'm thinking I can get to a 4 if I set my mind to it! My 21 year old daughter is a size 4! She actually gave me a pair of her PJ pants that I admired, while she was wearing them. They FIT ME, I couldn't believe it!

You'll get there!

About...

Attached Thumbnails16488d1236967579t-can-my-body-really-become-small-size-feb-07-july-07.jpg

IndioGirl,

I am soooo glad you shared this with me and others reading this link. You look absolutely stunning in your photos. Your success- seeing you in those pics- really puts hope back in perspective. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks - That's why I posted the pic - so that pple can see that it's possible at any age - I'm no spring chicken - just an old hen :sneaky: - It's so doable - it takes time - but just take it one day at a time - and your body can and will be a smaller size - it might take a minute for your brain to catch up - but it does eventually...