Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need Help

Hi Everyone

I will make this short and simple. In Dec 2005 I had the lap band. My weight at the time was 320 lbs. I got down to 267 lbs as of 4/17/06. I was doing well, working out and eating right.

Well I have regained my weight. Not eating right and not working out. The last time I went for a fill I was 295 lbs and that was about 8 months ago. I would hate to go back weighting more then I should. With the weather starting to get warm I need to get back on track.

First I need some help, would like to know what is your basic menu and how much do you eat ( as in oz)..

That would be a great start...

PS- I will also make an appt for a fill!

Thanks for your help!

Joe

Joe, my heart goes out to you! I know from all my research before finally deciding to get the lap band, that a lot of people can lose weight and then it can creep back up. The good thing is that you DECIDED to do something about it. I just got my band on 12-20-08 so I am a newbie at this but our struggle is the same. But just start slow. Get your cardio going at least. Walk a little bit farther every day. I wouldn't try too many changes at once- One thing at a time. Also, does your insurance cover your nutritionist visits? That's such a great resource that helped me.

We are all here to support one another. I am really glad that you are here. I think you are brave for not giving up.

Hi Bunnygirl

does your insurance cover your nutritionist visits?

Yes it does.....However The doctors office is 2 hours away..That is one reason I did not go especially with the gas prices being so high....Sine the prices have come down, I will be able to go get my fills...

I am sorry your having such a hard time.

I am sort of reading between the lines here. But are you not getting fills ? It seems to me your not utilizing the tool you have , therefore not getting fills as often as you should? I could be wrong if i am please tell me .

as for what I eat , suggestions. that can be an on going process . Mainly to keep things interesting. Here , on my blog are some examples of things i eat.

Getting Skinny in Texas: What do you eat ?

I dont measure things . But i eat until im satisfied not full.

Also this blog site has some amazing band friendly food suggestions on it . You might try that !

theworldaccordingtoeggface

Good luck

The best part about the band is it allows us to get back on track !

Mindy

Hi Bunnygirl

does your insurance cover your nutritionist visits?

Yes it does.....However The doctors office is 2 hours away..That is one reason I did not go especially with the gas prices being so high....Sine the prices have come down, I will be able to go get my fills...

Sorry i just read this a little better .

I would suggest when you go in for your next fill also make an appt with your nutrionist . Its sometimes good if you need it ( I had to do this a few times ) to get a refresher with the nut.

tell them you MUST get an appt with both on the same day since your so far away . I live over an hour away from my doc and i usually see the nut fist then the doc .

The band is a great tool. ya just gotta use it in order for it to work. I understand about the money . I am self pay and my fills cost anywhere from $125 to $250 depending if i get flouro or not . But I look at it this way , i came all this way I do not want to go backwards. I may have to wait a little longer than I Should or need to for fills. But I get them .

Good luck !

Mindy

I totally agree with Mindy too on doubling up the appointment. That's terrible that your doc is so far away! I know nothing about bikes but yours looks really awesome for the ride there :wink: You have probably already done this, I am sure, but I will ask any way...Have you called the insurance and asked for a nutritionist closer to home? Also, have you considered e-mailing the list to your former nutritionist and having a phone consult instead? That may be a creative solution as well.

Like Mindy, I do not measure my foods either but I do eye it out. I know I shouldn't consume more than 4 oz at a time which doesn't get me full but it does satisfy my cravings until I get hungry again.

I totally agree with Mindy too on doubling up the appointment. That's terrible that your doc is so far away! I know nothing about bikes but yours looks really awesome for the ride there :wink: You have probably already done this, I am sure, but I will ask any way...Have you called the insurance and asked for a nutritionist closer to home? Also, have you considered e-mailing the list to your former nutritionist and having a phone consult instead? That may be a creative solution as well.

Like Mindy, I do not measure my foods either but I do eye it out. I know I shouldn't consume more than 4 oz at a time which doesn't get me full but it does satisfy my cravings until I get hungry again.

really the "brush" up appt is a good first step and probably better done in person in my opinion . And i would guess something that would not need to be done a lot ?

I needed it initially just to kind of give me some ideas of what i could eat as some foods had to be eliminated.

its just a good idea to kind of give you motivation. My nut is VERY motivational . She does a great job of encouraging me.

So that's helpful too.

But i say if your insurance pays for the visits. If you need them schedule one every fill appt .

Mindy

Hi Joe

Straight up, man to man? Go back to the Dr., don't worry about being heavier than you "should be". You are still down in weight, and most heavy people would've simply gained on top of your original weight had you not opted for surgery back in 2005. Where would you be, maybe over 400#'s

Well, thats where I am and its no joy :wink:

I'm simply here to encourage you do INDEED go back to the Dr., let him see your weight and get you back on track. Until you go is not going to kick start this effort in your head.

Here is another thought. If you managed to lose down to 260 you had the fills in place, now you technically need to be emptied and refilled, right?

You need to basically get back on track, at this point I'm sure you've worried yourself to death that you've hurt your band, stretched your stomach etc? I assume anyways...

I think the Dr. might be hard on you, but whatever! After you leave that day you'll feel the journey starting over and you WILL be able to handle it.

I personally don't want to be in the minority of ppl that have failed with the lapband, and I don't want you to end up in that group either :-)

Talk it out here, but most importantly get back to the Dr. so he can check out where you stand physically with the band and your New (in 2005) stoma.

Take care Joe!

whats up joe

im sorry for your trouble. but look man you are going to have to start doing the right things. you know yourself that not eating and not working out will not allow you to lose weight. im sorry that you have gained weight back. but please start going by the rules. remember this bands are just tools and they dont lose the weight for you, they just help you on your way there. you can pm me and i will be glad to help uoi in anyway man. i know how hard it is to do this. i was 419 pounds and now im down to 332. and i had to work hard to get there.

please call your dr. and set up an apointment with them. and another thinng go to some support group meetings. i have gone to one almost every month after surgery and it helps alot.