Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help!!!! I am in sooo much pain

I am 24 hours post op and I have been in extreme pain all 24. I came into pacu with the shoulder pain already so bad I was crying. I have a high pain tollerence I've had 3 c-sections and only took maybe one lortab for each on the first night. I also have had my gallbladder out and have had the normal shouder pain. This is different!!! I hurt so bad I can't get relief. I also have incision pain and distention bloating. Oh my god I can't believe I did this to myself. I put a call into my doctor but he hasn;t called back. Was anyone else this miserable?

IF you went to the ER please come back as soon as you feel like it and update us on how you are doing. PLEASE!!

Given your past high pain tolerance, the kind of pain you're experiencing doesn't sound right. I would rate my pain after lap band to very similar to gall bladder surgery - very minimal. I hope your doctor has already called you back, but if he hasn't, please do as Jack suggested.

I hope you went to the ER. That does not sound right. They will be able to control your pain in the ER if the pain meds that the doctor gave you can't get it under control. Keep us posted :thumbup: Julie

I am so sorry that you are feeling so bad. I have never experienced any type of surgery, child birth, gall bladder etc. so when I had my procedure the first 3 days were the worst. I had all the pain in my shoulder. Have you tried taking some gas medicine like infant gas drops or Gas X strips?? They semi helped me. If you did go to the ER I hope they were able to help you. Hopefully you can get something for the pain.

I am 30 hours post-op and am still in a lot of pain. the port area is very sore and swollen. as far as the gas i have a hand held massager that vibrates, i ran it up and down my back and my lower abdomen. that reall seemed to help. they kept me 2 nights because the pain was so bad.

hope you get some relief soon

I was absolutely that miserable right after surgery. I remember the hospital pain chart, where it said 10 was crying and moaning, and I didn't think you could express pain that way, but that's how it was. I couldn't do anything but cry and moan. I wanted to smack all the people who told me they were up and about and back at work in a few days.

My father was here helping me, and I was hysterical. I wasn't comfortable sitting up or standing up, and could not walk out that air bubble in my shoulder for a couple of days. I wanted to give up and hated myself for doing something so stupid. However, I want to tell you... You did not make a mistake! This is one of the most difficult parts! You are strong and will make it through, look how much other stuff you have overcome!

I couldn't sit up, sit down, lie down, or get out of bed on my own for the first few days. After my first night back home, I woke up super early and had to go to the bathroom. I couldn't get out of bed. I yelled for my dad, but he was sleeping and didn't hear me. I started screaming and crying, it took him half an hour to wake up and hear me. I couldn't help it, I was in so much pain and couldn't move myself - it was an extremely scary situation for me, I'm not used to being dependent on anyone else.

Let me tell you something. On day 4, when I sat up on my own in the morning (while holding on to the side of the bed and a nearby bookcase), I felt so damn accomplished! It took something I've done at least once a day, every day, for my entire life to show that in just those few days I'd made some sort of progress. Not necessarily in weight loss, but in my inner struggle to overcome something I hadn't been able to do the day before.

There will be bad days, and you will overcome those as well. Please be patient, kind, and loving with yourself (stuff I couldn't do for the first few weeks, so I understand how hard it is) but you will be fine.

Best of luck, we're all here to support you!

I was absolutely that miserable right after surgery. I remember the hospital pain chart, where it said 10 was crying and moaning, and I didn't think you could express pain that way, but that's how it was. I couldn't do anything but cry and moan. I wanted to smack all the people who told me they were up and about and back at work in a few days.

My father was here helping me, and I was hysterical. I wasn't comfortable sitting up or standing up, and could not walk out that air bubble in my shoulder for a couple of days. I wanted to give up and hated myself for doing something so stupid. However, I want to tell you... You did not make a mistake! This is one of the most difficult parts! You are strong and will make it through, look how much other stuff you have overcome!

I couldn't sit up, sit down, lie down, or get out of bed on my own for the first few days. After my first night back home, I woke up super early and had to go to the bathroom. I couldn't get out of bed. I yelled for my dad, but he was sleeping and didn't hear me. I started screaming and crying, it took him half an hour to wake up and hear me. I couldn't help it, I was in so much pain and couldn't move myself - it was an extremely scary situation for me, I'm not used to being dependent on anyone else.

Let me tell you something. On day 4, when I sat up on my own in the morning (while holding on to the side of the bed and a nearby bookcase), I felt so damn accomplished! It took something I've done at least once a day, every day, for my entire life to show that in just those few days I'd made some sort of progress. Not necessarily in weight loss, but in my inner struggle to overcome something I hadn't been able to do the day before.

There will be bad days, and you will overcome those as well. Please be patient, kind, and loving with yourself (stuff I couldn't do for the first few weeks, so I understand how hard it is) but you will be fine.

Best of luck, we're all here to support you!

That is sooo true,I was in so much pain for the first 3 days after surgery too and all i could think of was that nobody told me the pain would be so bad or else i wouldnt have done it!,but that being said,4 weeks later,i am so glad i did do it.Its abit like childbirth,you think the pain is so bad and you will never do it again,but 2 years down the track youre trying for another baby because the pain seemed all worth it and thats the same with this.

it will get better...i am such a sook when it comes to pain and i carried on a treat straight after surgery,but now it really does seem worth it.

you'll get there,by day 3-4 things will seem so much better,believe me it will,i promise you

take care

cindie

Hi Banderoo (and all the other 24thers),

I'm home and completely miserable too. I can't believe I did this to myself. I know it's going to get better but right now, I can hardly move without pain, I have terrible gas (and diaherria) and couldn't find a comfortable position for sleeping last night.

I spent a good part of the night cursing the insurance companies because I suspect i would have been more comfortable had I been in the hospital for another night.

i also has 2 c-sections so I know what pain feels like. This is totally different.

Ugh.

How are you feeling banderoo?

day 4 post-op, and the pain is getting better. its hard in the morning because i haven't moved all night. i said this earlier on this thread if you have some sort of hand held massager use it on your lower abdomen and back to help break up the gas. it has really helped.

the part that hurts the most right now is the area where the port is. it is very swollen and brused.

hang in there, it can only get better.

They kept me in the hospital for a week because I could not move. I was in SO much pain, I don't even remember that week, except begging for the CEO of my company to come fly me home on his private jet....that may have been the morphine talking :))

Over one year later and I feel GREAT and have no regrets. I really hope that you are doing better, and that you continue to do better. Keep up the prayers and you will do just fine!

I am feeling a lot better.:thumbup:

port area still very sore :)

but i know it can only get better. for the first time since the actual surgery i have felt hungry.:thumbup: i will check the list to see what i can have to eat.

thanks for the well wishes.:tt2:

I am 24 hours post op and I have been in extreme pain all 24. I came into pacu with the shoulder pain already so bad I was crying. I have a high pain tollerence I've had 3 c-sections and only took maybe one lortab for each on the first night. I also have had my gallbladder out and have had the normal shouder pain. This is different!!! I hurt so bad I can't get relief. I also have incision pain and distention bloating. Oh my god I can't believe I did this to myself. I put a call into my doctor but he hasn;t called back. Was anyone else this miserable?

I sure hope you are better....please let us know

I am about 35 hours postop and I have been in more pain than I had imagined! At times, I would rate my pain as 7-8/10 and then others around 3-4/10. I have had a c-section and tubal ligation before, but it was also 15 years ago...hence I am 15 years older!! I think that makes a difference. The gas pain has been bad in the shoulder, just like everyone says. GasX and heating pad are what help me and moving around. The stick sites are pretty sore too and sleeping has been only on my back so far and in the recliner. I am going to try the bed tonight and see how it goes. I hear that after day 3, it should be going nowhere but up! Hang in there guys and don't regret the band, I think you will see what a great choice you have made in the near future! Take care!