Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When you need to lose 200+ pounds, how do you get started with exercise?

What exercise works best for you?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. What exercise works best for you?

Hi Ann,

You know, I read on a website that the hanging skin is mostly because people don't exercise, so their weight loss steals muscle as well as fat and they lose the "support" for their skin. The Biggest Loser shows that I've seen so far seem to support that...those folks lose A LOT of weight, but in the final episode I haven't seen alot of hanging skin. I'm wondering if that's because they work out like maniacs.

I, too, am inspired by the women on the current show. I can't believe how tough Tara is. Although the last 2 shows are heartbreaking for her...with no weight lost last week and only 2 pounds lost this week. I just want to give her a hug!

I will be watching for saggy skin on the final show too!

Spanx, lots and lots of spanx!!

hey hun I am 410 pounds, so i understand completely. I do stuff inside my home such as stairs, weights, and try some videos but cant do to many of the exercises there. Swimming is ok to but i go LATE at night lol

SO you have been banded by now right? How is it going? thanks

I just bought the Leslie Sansone Walk at home DVD at Walmart for about $10 and did it in my office with the door closed over my lunch hour today. I can't believe how much I enjoyed it! She is really encouraging and let's you know what alternate things you can do if you are unable to do all the movements with the arms, legs wtc while you are walking. There are easy steps to the side and front and knee lifts occasionally while walking to a beat and I love it. I did 2 miles out of the 4 for my first time and feel great even though I was sore a bit while doing it. I will buy more of those DVDs.

I also do "Walk away the Pounds" by Leslie Samsone 2 x a week(its a dvd).

I love Leslie Sansone... And where I live she has a couple of free "on demand" workouts on fittv!!

hi all

I also love Leslie. She helped me get the ball rolling with my exercise program. I starting my journey at 441 lbs. It was tough at first but just stick with it and you will see results.

I would also only exercise in my home too. I was to embarrassed to go outside. That feeling has gone away as I've lost weight.

just broke 200lbs lost earlier this week. Don't hesitate to shoot me a PM if you have any questions.

Craig

Momster0,

I completely understand. I started out at 379lbs. I am to the point that I don't give a flying squirrel what others think of me. It is my life and I do what I want, which means I walk. Yes, I've been spit on, taunted, and yelled at because of my size. But I've also had others who have seen me walking and then later in the store and mention how great it was to see me out there and offered words of encouragement. Bottomline, there will always be people in the world who will find fault in someone else, it's easier for them than being a better person. I just smile at them and think, someday they will piss off the wrong person and karma will come back to bite them.

Get out there girl and live your life!!!

Cherlita

i've started by walking (since being banded) before that i did Water aerobics 3 times a week and zumba 2 times a week. I hope to get back to zumba at the end of this month. It's so fun and of course you can go at your own pace. I tell you what..it makes you sweat! I've tried sweating to the oldies with Richard Simmons but it's just not motiving enough.

Good luck with whatever you choose!