Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

BIG Embarassing Moments - Fuel for Success

So many of us enjoyed the thread 'Things I Won't/Don't Miss About Being Obese'. I thought we could also share (laugh/cry together) our most embarassing moments :tt2: due to our current/past large size. We can use these experiences to fuel our desire to succeed!

A few of my BIG embarassing moments....

:tt2: Running into some old friends at a wedding, and having them congratulate me on my advanced pregnancy (I wasn't pregnant). I've had several people at work assume I was pregnant over the years, too. They must think I'm an Elephant with a 2-year (or in my case 20-year) gestation period!

;) When my Husband mistakenly picks up my jeans instead of his, and two of him could easily fit inside!

:lol: My young sons asking me about the 'waves' on my back, and enjoy running and bouncing off my big belly.

:lol: When I was a child, my friends wouldn't allow me to ride their 'Big Wheel' bikes, 'cause they said I was too heavy and would break them.

:lol: Being weighed (along with my luggage) and deemed overweight for a helicopter ride to Catalina Island, CA.

:lol: Being weighed and assigned to the largest mule they had on a mule ride in Yosemite. This required everyone to wait while they got a step stool so I could get on the beast!

Wishing success to all - and no more BIG embarassing moments!!! :lol:

Mamadot

(1st surgeon visit scheduled 3/9)

my most embarrassing moment to date. going snowboarding with my hubby when i weighed about 250, um i got 10 feet down teh mountain and had to crawl back up it was awful and i felt like such a fat butt and everyone probably thinking what the heck is she doin this for. I need to go back :tt2:

This one really stung bad, was at my pre-banding cardiologist apt and when it was time to be weighed the scale was not capable of weighing me :tt2:, i was to large. I was so mortified.

KelinTX - Just look at yourself now - you should be SO PROUD! You've come a long way and are an inspiration to those of us starting this journey!!!

Edited by Mamadot

Chicamam1 - Snow Skiing has been on hold for me for years because of my weight. I'm planning on getting back into it as soon as I get back into shape. I hope you get back to snowboarding and shred past everyone!!!

Edited by Mamadot

This is almost so sad I feel like crying. OK I am not usually that sappy but it is so sad what we have to put up with in being overweight. I remember going on a horse trail with my husband and girls and them having to bring the biggest horse they have out for me. I was mortified and my poor husband you could just tell he felt bad for me. Also a couple of years ago we went to NYC and I was going into all the 5th ave shops and the ladies in there wouldn't even acknowledge me. I felt invisible. I LOVE MY BAND!!

Being on an airplane and trying to disguise the fact the belt wasn't about to fit around me. For years I got away with laying my sweater over my lap and on a trip to TX I was caught. That was so mortifying that I took the belt with me for the ride home so I wouldn't have to ask for a belt again and have people see the attendant give me a belt again. I know it is crazy, b/c who am I kidding everyone knows I am as big as I am except me.

Being on an airplane and trying to disguise the fact the belt wasn't about to fit around me. For years I got away with laying my sweater over my lap and on a trip to TX I was caught. That was so mortifying that I took the belt with me for the ride home so I wouldn't have to ask for a belt again and have people see the attendant give me a belt again. I know it is crazy, b/c who am I kidding everyone knows I am as big as I am except me.

This was what I was going to write also! Once I had my shirt pulled over the unbuckled belt, and this princess of a male flight attendant asked very loudly if I needed an extension. I said yes...and took the damn thing with me! I hide it in my bra now when I board a plane.

When I was a sophmore in high school, a group of senior boys always picked on me. I was outgoing, and had lots of friends, and for some reason...I think I scared them. Fat girls weren't supposed to be happy. I was always in dance. We were getting ready to perform at half time of a basketball game and we were dancing to some James Brown song. We started on our knees, sort of balled up. In the formation, I was right in front of the student section...and the front row was full of the senior boys. The crowd was quiet and the music hadnt started yet. All of a sudden, the boys started chanting "two lunches, two lunches". That is what they called me...two lunches (implying that I ate two lunches). It was one of the most painful embarrasing moments of my life. I finished dancing. And that was the last year I danced for the school. It's the only time I let me weight affect me to the point that I gave up something I loved.

Dont worry now. I am sure that those guys are all fat bald losers, with small who who's! :tt2:

This one was really embarrassing. At a family b-day party. My family and friends decided to play a friendly game of softball. I love softball. I had no pockets for my keys so I kinda draped them over the elastic on my shorts. After the game, I couldn't find my keys. I checked my shorts..everywhere. I had everyone looking over the entire field. I had to have my brother drive me all the way home (which wasn't so close) to get my extra set. While I was home, I had to go to the bathroom and guess what I found under my stomach roll. I could not believe it. I couldn't bear to tell anyone, so I just grabbed my extra set and went back to the party.:tt2:

I've had all the embaressing moments one could imagine...

hiding the seatbelt on an airplane

could fasten myself on a roller coaster and had to get off

overhearing my grandparents discuss how much i eat

my lil bro saw some pics of me when i was younger, and exclaimed "look how skinny you were!". in front of my boyfriend, no less!

and just few months ago someone thought i was pregnant

i CANNOT wait till i no longer have to worry about this kind of stuff just and i can just LIVE!!

Last year in the ninth grade I was in my pottery class, the boy who I like so much was sitting at a table with some of his friends. When I walked by the other tables my but knocked someoes pot the table, it hit the floor and broke into several peices. When this happened the whole class started loughing.To make things worst the boy who I liked ever so much was also loughing and later on in the class i herd him and his friends making fat jokes about me. I was embarresed I had my schedule changed so i wouldn't have my pottery class anymore. I seriously can't wait until my surgery, I can't wait to start living.

This past summer was the final straw. My husband and I help out with the football team boosters in our town; when at our end-of-double sessions cookout I overheard one of the parents say " my god, she is getting huge!" I went home that night and cried.

I certainly won't miss:

The fat comments.

Not being able to get out of a chair like regular people.

The pains in my knees and lower back.

Asking for a table instead of a booth.

Not being able to wear a bathing suit while on vacation.

Always being out of breath.

My mattress dipping down where I usually lay at night.

My CPAP machine.

My medicines.

Shopping in the plus size department.

I could go on and on, but this list of things was enough to say Lap Band surgery was for me. I have dreams of looking like I did when I was 21. Can't wait for March 12.

I've had a lot of these same things. This thread above all others has made this pre-op week bearable and is keeping me from backing out. I don't know how to request it to be "sticky" but it should be. These are stories we all have and it helps to remember why we are doing this.

God, this is a hard thread to read, because so much of this has happened to me, or I FEEL your pain. :sneaky: Good luck to everyone on this journey (and those who are a good way along the path!).

1) sitting in a training class for a new job, on one of those wire-type chairs that only have a plastic back and seat. I shifted in the seat, and realized the plastic seat broke from the wire. I had to try to focus my weight on my legs and sit on the edge of my seat - pretending to be interested, but mortified that I had broken my chair.

2) Going to work with coworkers to a cute cafe, and not being able to squeeze into the ornate booth because there was hardly any room between the booth sides and the table. Had to SQQUEEEEZE into the seat. Of course, was with two super skinny coworkers.

3) Taking public transit, and taking up a little more than just one seat - not being able to sit in the seat that is between the poles (if you take the bus, perhaps you know what i'm talking about).

4) Having to wear something not dressy enough for an event because I realized at the last moment that I couldn't fit into my dressy clothes.

5) Being in grade school and having a HUUUGE crush on this boy a year older. One day a friend of mine asked him if he liked me, and another girl with him said, "he'd have a lotta woman!"

6) Falling head over heels for a guy over the internet, spending an AWESOME weekend with each other, and having him eventually tell me that he didn't want to continue things because I was too fat.

7) When dating my ex-fiance, a mutual "friend" once told him that I was like riding a moped - "fun, but you don't want any of your friends to know you ride it"

8) Airplanes. Enough said. I try to take the train.

9) Knowing I've backed out of a lot of social invitations because I was self-conscious about my size affecting my ability to enjoy the activity.

10) Having to listen to my two skinny coworkers talk about how they buy everything at "Banana" (Republic) and I can never join the conversation.

11) This CPAP machine that makes me feel like I'm 80 years old and needing oxygen in a hospital bed to survive. Rediculously embarassing. I couldn't imagine taking it to a "first sleepover" with someone I was dating.

12) Having to wrestle out of control top nylons, girdles, shapers, etc. when wearing fancy clothes just so I can pee. I can't wait to just WEAR A DRESS. And that's it. (and underwear, since I'm not Britney)

13) The thought of running into an ex would mortify me right now, because I'm bigger than I ever have been (well, minus pre-op weight loss).

14) Having to use chafing cream on my thighs when wearing a skirt or dress, because if I don't they HURT and get all raised and red. Fire, anyone?

15) When my friends lament having to lose weight after having kids, and how fat they feel after childbirth, and how it will never be the same... and I'm way bigger than them, and have no kids.

16) Not fitting on some of the machines at the gym... and not realizing that until AFTER you attempt to use it. ha!

17) At my highest weight, having difficulty, um... wiping. (god that's embarassing)

18) Feeling like I have to wear makeup or have my nails done just so I can try and make up for some of the fat... like I need to convince people I'm not a LAZY, DUMPY fat girl... but a cute one.

19) watching the Biggest Loser, and thinking "my gosh, that girl is really big!" and realizing I weigh about 50 pounds more.

20) going out to a team lunch for work, and worrying about whether the chairs will be comfortable, or if we'll be in a booth, or worrying about the seating arrangement so I don't "crowd" anyone.

OKAY! There's a good 20... i'm sure many of you can relate to some/all.

Thanks for this thread... it's going to get me working my butt off at the gym tonight! :mad2:

Mandilou thanks for your post I feel you on most all your posts. I think being so overweight you feel so alone and that no one understands what you worry about. This thread is very therapeutic knowing others feel just like me and worry about the same things