Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was banded April 18, 2008. I am down about 65 lbs, but still considered a slow loser. But that's not the problem, I can't even drink Water, it started 5 days ago, at first I threw up everything I ate. So I tried shakes and Soups and they come back up too. I am getting dehydrated, headache and my bodyaches! My surgeon is on vacation, but I called and spoke with the nurse and she told me i must be eating and drinking too fast! I can't even slowly sip water, it makes my chest feel like there is a bubble in it and it hurts! She said well you have been a slow loser because apparently you just eat and drink too fast and cause these problems yourself! Prior to this I thought I was at my "sweet spot" , then out of no where 4 weeks after my fill I'm this way. She said there is no way it could be an over fill problem because it would have happened sooner. Anyone with similar problems, I am very discouraged! As I sit here crying trying to figure out what I did wrong?! Any suggestions?

U sound very tight!! After i get a fill it doent kick it for a couple weeks or so...if u cant even drink Water u need to get help right away...go to the ER if u have 2! But u need help ASAP..good luck

You should call back and INSIST on an unfill. If even Water won't go down, you are too tight, for whatever reason. You must get some relief so you don't get even more dehydrated and cause even more problems.

You sound like you are too tight. Try to get some Fluid taken out. I was banded June 27, 2008 and was doing okay until hitting a plateau in November. The only thing I was losing for several months was my hair. I have had fills every month except for December. My last fill (January) kicked in 3 weeks after it was done. It was only .2cc bring me to 7.6cc in a 10cc band. I noticed I felt like I had a lump in my throat and swollen glands. At first I thought I was getting sick but then I started getting tighter and had to really pay close attention to eating and chewing my food or it would get stuck. I felt on edge all the time. My weight wasn't budging even though I was eating correctly and even edged up a couple of pounds. I went in for a partial unfill (3cc) and by that evening the pressure or lump in my throat was feeling better and the next morning I woke up feeling better than I had in weeks. The scale is moving down again. I didn't have reflux or heartburn or any problems at night that people talk about so I wasn't sure that I was too tight. Now I know I was. I didn't realize how miserable I was feeling until after I had the partial unfill.

I was banded April 18, 2008. I am down about 65 lbs, but still considered a slow loser. But that's not the problem, I can't even drink Water, it started 5 days ago, at first I threw up everything I ate. So I tried shakes and Soups and they come back up too. I am getting dehydrated, headache and my bodyaches! My surgeon is on vacation, but I called and spoke with the nurse and she told me i must be eating and drinking too fast! I can't even slowly sip water, it makes my chest feel like there is a bubble in it and it hurts! She said well you have been a slow loser because apparently you just eat and drink too fast and cause these problems yourself! Prior to this I thought I was at my "sweet spot" , then out of no where 4 weeks after my fill I'm this way. She said there is no way it could be an over fill problem because it would have happened sooner. Anyone with similar problems, I am very discouraged! As I sit here crying trying to figure out what I did wrong?! Any suggestions?

I would get an partial unfill asap! I would also report the nurse!

Edited by gone 4 ever

I had a very similar experience as Deb.

You need immediate medical attention. Does your doctor have a partner or a PA who can help you? Either call back and INSIST on a partial unfil or I would do what ckelly suggested and head to the ER.

Wow, that's just amazing that a nurse would even think about talking to you like that. I'm surprised not more doctors send their folks to fill centers, like what my doctor does. Anytime there is a problem they can get me in that same day. I just can't believe a nurse would be so mean to you. I'm sorry that happened but don't get discouraged. If there is not a fill center you go to, then you might have to go to an ER. Especially before you start fainting from lack of food and Water. You could have a slip or stretched your pouch or just be too tight. They should probably do a barium swallow. All of these things are fixable with an unfill though; so you should be fine. Oh and if you are considered a slow loser, then I guess I'm SUPER slow loser. LOL. Cuz I was banded before you and you've lost more than me.

5 days is too long to go without food or water! Did something trigger the tightness at some point 5 days ago? It could have caused some inflammation that is closing off your stoma and an unfill (even .5-1cc) would help, as would anti-inflammatory medication after that, to get it under control. I went through this 6 months ago and thought I'd have to have surgery it felt so bad. My trigger was filet mignon and brocolli, even though it was chewed thoroughly, after 3 bites I was in pain, threw up 20 minutes later, but the inflammation continued through the next day until I had 1.5cc removed.

If you can't get your surgeon's office to help you, you need to go to the ER for fluids (IV) until you can get an unfill. GOOD LUCK!

Tell the nurse to come here, we'll give her an education in her job.

AMEN to that, Wasa!

Demand a partial unfill right away. If the office is unwilling to accomodate you, you should go to an emergency department. 5 days it way too long to not have any intake, and you are in danger of dehydration and electrolyte imbalance. I would also make sure your surgeon knows about the nurse in question. That is not ethical behavior on her part. Good luck!

I am going through the same thing right now. I had my last fill four weeks ago and then all of a sudden last week I couldn't even drink Water without throwing up. I had .4 taken out two days ago but I am having the same problem again and today is Sunday. I am going to go in tomorrow and demand more out.

I hope you can an unfill soon too. I know how bad it sucks!!

I am not a physician, but it sounds like a slipped band after the PB episode. At the very least your stoma is extremely swollen. Go to the ER, then report that nurse....

I managed to convince the nurse that I needed to be seen. I went on Friday and my surgeons partner whom has only assisted on a couple of lap band surgeries attempted to take out Fluid. He stuck me 8 different times, he just couldn't get the port! Once I was home and looking at my stomach I realized he wasn't even in the right area! So I have to wait till my Dr. gets back on Tuesday! He told me to drink Ensure, guess he didn't get that I can barely take in any water! Now I am sore there on top of it all! I am managing to survive though, I am taking the tiniest sips of Water and gatorade to try to keep hydrated. I am sore all over and feeling weak but the good news is my new total weight loss is 71lbs!

Thanks to all the support! It helps to know that there are people out there who understand what I am going through!

Cameroncapt, so sorry that you had to go through that. I can't believe he would just send you away without finding a way to help you. That's awaful.

On the bright side, congrats on your weightloss. Hopefully your doctor can provide you with some relief tomorrow.