Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hair Loss...how long does this go on?

:blushing:

My hair is falling out. It is really thinning and of course it is on the top which is most noticeable. I started taking Biotin yesterday. My big question is...how long does it take on Biotin before you start to see your hair come back in? And will it always be like this? Will the Hair loss thing always be a problem or is only for the first year? I would really appreciate it if I could find out what is going on. Thanks. Pam

I have pretty thick hair to start off with, so I've always shed a lot. About six weeks after surgery, I started losing A LOT. This went on until almost four months after surgery, and went away as quick as it began. Basically, overnight. I didn't take anything for it. I just figured nature would take its course, and I had also lost hair like this after the birth of my children and after two previous surgeries, so I wasn't too worried about it. It also made a difference that I have thick hair to begin with (fine strands though), so it wasn't noticeable. I can understand being more concerned if your hair is starting to look thin. Everyone I've seen comment on the Hair loss, says it comes back.

Edited by kiz

does everyone lose hair through this surgery, im 4 weeks post op & so far i think my hair is doing ok, but then my hair is very thick & it normally sheds a bit when i wash it..

Nothing you can do. It has nothing to do with how much Protein or how much Biotin you take. Its hormonal and as soon as your system gets back to normal, it will stop.

It also usually doesn't start right away after surgery... It's usually at 3-4 months out that it starts to happen.. "They" say that by the time you start to notice it your body has already started to fix it... Thank goodness I have lots of hair and have no worries about going bald... This has happened to me before after a major surgery and it stopped after a while and came back strong again... I wouldn't worry too much... Just make sure to eat healthy and you'll be fine.... Julie

At almost a year out, I think it's finally safe to say I haven't had any hairloss. I was always too scared to say it before. LOL. I don't think all that Biotin and stuff will help though. Some might say it does, but from what I've seen and heard, it's just a waiting game. I think the hairloss stops at about 2-3 months after it starts falling out. Now, even though I didn't have hairloss, my menstrual cycle was totally jacked up. For a few months I had a period like every other week... only 8 days in between them. That scared me but my gyno said it was normal with weightloss that fast. It too got back on track.

I am 8 weeks post-op and starting to experience a little of this. I know that it is from not getting enough Protein. Start drinking at least 1 shake a day to increase your protein. Women should get at least 60 grams of protein and men should get at least 70 grams of protein per day. This is what we were taught in our classes. Hope this helps!

Have a great day!:mad2:

Thanks everybody. You are all blessed with having thick hair. I have this stringy, fine blond hair. It does make sense what you've said. And I do need to remember the protein! How could I forget that??? Well thanks. I had my surgery in June and noticed it starting to thin out sometime in the fall. Hopefully it will stop soon! Pam

Once your hormones get back in check, the hair kiss will stop. Doesnt make a difference how much Protein or Biotin u take.

Thanks everybody. You are all blessed with having thick hair. I have this stringy, fine blond hair. It does make sense what you've said. And I do need to remember the protein! How could I forget that??? Well thanks. I had my surgery in June and noticed it starting to thin out sometime in the fall. Hopefully it will stop soon! Pam

Obviously you can't see my hair.. I've always had stringy thin hair too. lol. Ponytail holders fall out of my hair. But, it was thin before the surgery. Heck, I think it's actually thicker now. I do know that I drank a lot of milk in the beginning to get my Protein in. Perhaps that helped. But, not everybody loses their hair.

I'm so glad I found this thread. My hair started falling out like crazy about 2 weeks ago. My surgery was 11/7/08, so I guess it's the 3-4 month out thing like has been suggested. I'm fortunate to have thick hair, so it's only noticable to me. Thanks for easing my mind!:tt2:

My doc and I actually discussed this at my appointment 3 days ago and he said it's due to the hormonal change. The loss of estrogen can result in Hair loss. Once the hormones get balanced out, the hair loss should go away. This came up because he told me to stop my Protein supplements and I asked if it would result in the hair loss. He explained the loss of hair is not related to the protein. He wants me to stop the protein because the benefits of the protein are not worth the extra calories consumed to get it in. HTH!

My surgery was November 11 and right around January 1, my hair started falling out in scary chemo looking treatment clumps. And I am not on chemo. I stopped washing my hair daily.

I figure I will be bald by summer. Seriously, it freaked me out so bad that I took ones days worth of clummpy hair to the doctor and said "What's up with that?" They don't know. :-(

My thryroid is testing okay and I take my thryoid meds every day, so I don't know. I live close to San Francisco and was thinking of going to China Town to get some herbs specific for Hair loss. I am really desperate.