Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

OH Juli's Plastic Surgery

After debating, do I put a thread on here or not, apparently I’ve decided it’s a good idea, so here it is.

I’m scheduled for my plastic surgery April 6th.

I’m having a lower body lift, a 360 incision and a vertical incision, a mons lift too. I’m having my arms done, and a revision to a breast reduction surgery from years ago. I’m not getting implants.

I’m seeing Dr. Kurtis Martin. His staff has been amazing. He makes me feel very confident in his skills. This will take 7 hours of surgery and I’m maxing out the amount of time he will work on one person. It’s good, because I don’t think I’ll need other surgeries. I was kind of apple shaped and didn’t carry a lot of weight on my legs (relatively speaking) so I’m not having leg work done. However the way he places the incision on/around my hips there will be some improvement with my legs.

I’m guessing there’s 20-25 pounds of skin that’s coming off. I’m basing that on the estimates the two surgeons I saw gave me. One said 15 with a wink, the other said 30. I’m going with Doctor 15. Doctor 30 was super eager to cut me as much as possible and wanted to give me the works. Dr. 15 asked me what I wanted and even made me defend the vertical incision decision.

As much as I’d like to get my neck done, there’s no money for that now. Maybe later if I strike it rich.

I was shooting for dropping more weight before surgery and I hope I still will, by my weight loss has stalled. I exercise regularly and hard, so I know it’s about eating fewer calories. But the good news is I’m pretty buff under the skin! I’ll be able to show off my muscles this summer.

I will have my port revised too, btw. Being unfilled doesn’t sound appealing to me, but I know I’ll work through it.

And I don’t know that I’ll be posting pictures of my half naked body. As grateful as I am to those who have gone before me who have posted their pictures, it’s just not in the cards for me.

Oh, and let me answer this before it gets asked. I do feel like if I waited one more year I’d probably have all my weight off. However, right now I have a job that will pay for the panniculectomy, and generous benefits for time off. A year from now I probably will not be able to take off for 4-6 weeks. I base that on the fact I’m finishing my MBA the end of March and I’m going to be looking for something new this summer/fall.

Surgery now is the best fit for the schedule.

Yeah, you saw right, I’ve been in school since 2005. I got my undergrad then my graduate degree while losing a bunch of weight. It was absolutely deliberate. I'm absolutely that awesome.

Juli,

You ARE absolutely awesome! Please keep us posted as to how this all goes, as I am getting ready to take this journey pretty soon myself. As soon as funds become available I will be doing a TT and inner thigh lift. Its looking like around April for me as well. Can't wait to hear how it goes for you, but from reading posts you have made on other forums, I know you are one strong chicka and will do just great!

T

Oh, good luck, I hope you are thrilled with your new bod.

I have the same dilemma, if I want any work done, it really needs to be at the end of this year. I finish my degree and this is my last chance where I could afford the recovery time. But at the moment just no money, PS is WAY more expensive in Australia and we have to pay private school fees for three kids, woe is me, lol.

Congratulations Juli on this next step in your journey. I am excited for you. I had almost 9 lbs removed. And it's amazing to see myself without my big ol belly. it sure makes exercising easier. It's like Christmas when the bandages came off. Your going to be amazed!!!

I to contempltated waiting till I got to gaol to get my TT. But the circumstances were right for me when I did it. If I had waited I probably would not have been able to get it for a long time.

Can't wait to see the rest of your transformation.

Congratulations Juli! I am having a body lift with a vertical incison and a mons lift too. I was tossing up about getting a thigh lift as well, but my PS wants to see how much of my thighs the body lift reduces first.

My surgery is on the 2nd of April, so I'll be right there along-side you!

lellow-

I'll keep tabs on you. Where are you having it done? Do you have a thread started? Should I not be lazy and just go searching for it?

Shalee

We do what we go to do when we can do it. I'm happy you are reporting it turned out well for you to have the TT earlier than what might be considered optimal. Being able to create the perfect circumstances for everything in my life would be like having super powers. And that's just not possible.

We do the best with what we've got at that time. :thumbup:

Jachut,

What are you going to do? Shoot for it or set it aside for later?

Tracymom

You'll need to keep us posted as well.

Babygrl

You know I heart you!

Juli,

my thread is here: Lellow and the Torso Lift.

I'm having it done here in Perth, Western Australia, by the cosmetic and reconstructive surgeon my bariatric surgeon recommended. :thumbdown:

I'll be keeping tabs on you as well - it sounds like our surgery is very similar!

Calling about getting the blood work lined up, getting the unfill, borrowing the recliner.

I had to create a plan for my time off at work, who will do what.

I can't wait to be off work for 6 weeks, even if I'm doubled over in pain. I shouldn't really say that. I don't want to be doubled over in pain. I just really could use a break from work.

Thank heavens school will be out. The biggest sadness about the whole April -May recovery is missing out on primo cycling weather.

Alas, I'll get caught up.

Juli and Lellow, I'll be keeping tabs on both of you as well as it sounds like we are all having similiar surgeries. I am scheduled for April 30th for Tummy Tuck with 360 degree cut, vertical incision, liposuction, hernia repair and port revision. I wanted to have the surgery at the end of March or 1st of April, but trying to schedule the plastic surgeon and general surgeon together was difficult. My surgery is supposed to be around 5 1/2-6 hours. I am going home the same day and following up with my plastic surgeon the following day. I am going to be optimistic and try to get back to work after having 3 weeks off, but we'll see how that goes. I am not at my goal weight either, but this timing is right for me. I don't know if I'll post pics or not either. I am extremely modest!! It kills me every time I have to stand naked in front of the plastic surgeon!

Cathy

Cathy good luck for your surgery! You should start your own thread so we can keep track of your progress!

Juli, I don't have my bloodwork done until the 11th March. Then I have two autologous appts (where I donate my own blood in case I need a transfusion during surgery) in the two weeks following, and then it's surgery day!

I'm going down to my PS next week to pay too, so it's all getting to the pointy end now.

How are your preparations going? My best friend reckons we're going to have to go shopping for wedge pillows, some nanna nighties and packets of disposable underwear in the week before my surgery!

As for weight, I'm still losing, but slower now I'm almost at goal. I hope to be just under goal by surgery though.

My blood work needs to be done after March 17 but before my surgery. I'm calling for that appointment tomorrow.

My band apparently doesn't need to be unfilled before surgery. My plastic surgeon thinks I'll be fine without messing with it.

What's your opinion on that?

I'm working out HARD. I was joking that I broke my Abs today.

Oh, I didn't think about a wedge pillow! good idea. I figure I'm wearin my old panties untils I fit into my happy new tiny ones.

Hey mrgrta. Ask all the quetions you can think of. You know I don't have too much of an issue of getting nakkit in front of the doctor. I just tell myself he's a professional and I can't be bothered.

Juli,

my PS wants me to be completely unfilled a week before surgery - just in case I get nauseous from the anaethetics, he doesn't want anything obstructing me being able to throw up (yuck).

But one week after my surgery, my bariatric surgeon will refill me to approx 80% of what I have now, with monthly fill visits thereafter for a few months to ensure I don't gain.

Actually it's one of the reasons I don't want to get too much under goal by the date of my PS. My bariatric surgeon wants me to stop losing at 70kgs and has indicated that if I get too much below that, he won't refill me to the kind of restriction I have now, so that I can stop losing and start maintaining. But I LIKE this restriction! So I'm trying to get to, and stay around, 70kgs right up to my PS surgery date.

My bari surgeon would have me at 110 pounds if I let him.

Actually, I really don't know where I'm going to land weight wise. I see muscles and bones under my skin...when the skin's all gone, I could be very differently sized.

I'm not worried about my weight at this point. I'm more worried about getting nutrition. I don't wear my band tight, so as long as I have Protein shakes to should I get swollen and have more restriction I think I'll be fine.

Also, if god forbids anything happens and I need an immediate unfill I'm only 3 miles from the hospital my bari surgeon works out of.

Like all my English weights and measures?

Lol Juli, after joining the board I can calculate in my head how many lbs is a kg and vice versa!

I was a little taken aback that my bariartric Dr set a goal weight for me that he'd prefer for me to not get under. But what happens after my PS and I'm refilled will be up to me. :) Basically what I'm hoping for is to get back to this level of restriction, to continue my exercise regime once I'm able to after PS and let my body decide what my weight should be. Eventually it will peter off on its own, I figure. But between now and my PS, I want to keep my lapband Dr sweet and stay on or around 70kgs, at least until after I get filled to my sweet spot again. :thumbup:

But like you, you can see my ribs now when I'm standing upright, and my collarbones stick out (haven't seen them in years!). But the bottom half of my body is all saggy skin, so who know what I'll look like once that's all gone.