Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any restriction before first fill?

I am 4 weeks post-op. I have lost about 30 lbs due to per and post-op diet but I have no restriction. I am now on regular food and can (I am not) eat whatever just like before. Is that normal? I have appointment in 2 more weeks when I assume I will get my first fill. I am exercising and have lost lots of weight on my own in the past but I am looking forward to this tool actually helping me. Thanks.

Normal. It took 3 fills before I felt any restriction. Think of this as the practice period - small bites, chew, etc...it will be helpfull once once restriction kicks in, which it will. This is the period known as "bandster hell" (a lot of strings on this site will offer more), although I didn't find it too bad and lost o a lot of weight during this phase. Keep at it and also start an exercise routine.

I am 4 weeks post-op. I have lost about 30 lbs due to per and post-op diet but I have no restriction. I am now on regular food and can (I am not) eat whatever just like before. Is that normal? I have appointment in 2 more weeks when I assume I will get my first fill. I am exercising and have lost lots of weight on my own in the past but I am looking forward to this tool actually helping me. Thanks.

I had no restriction until the 2nd fill - which is unusual (most say 3rd fill before feeling restriction)....My second month, before I had the second fill, I only lost 2 lbs. My doc thought I'd be upset only losing 2#, but I really understood that I was in this for the long haul, and didn't have any restriction (it was also the month that included Thanksgiving!)..I also knew I was not overeating, and I was exercising, so I knew I was losing weight even if the scale didn't show it...funny thing was within 3 days after the fill I lost 7 pounds....I knew that didn't have anything to do with the new restriction I was feeling, as much as the work I did the previous month (hey, the band is good, but not that good!).

So, I suggest keep working your program (less consumption, get your Protein and exercise, and all will be fine)...Most of us have been successful with short term weight loss, so treat this as just that sort of situation, and you'll do fine until you feel restriction..which could be another 30-60 days.

Good Luck!

I am 2.25 months out with no restriction but the doc said no fill until I stop losing weight. He is not going to screw up as good thing. For me the band keeps me from overeating and thats about all I needed to lose weight.

Hi mswg welcome to the Mens Room

I am scheduled for my third fill next week I do not have restriction yet but it will come.

Having said that as you can see it will work if you eat and exercise like your Doctor tells you.

Good Luck

I just returned from doctor and received my first fill. I now have 3 cc’s and hope to get some restriction. I have gained several pounds in the last couple of weeks since being back on food and having no restriction. Past weekend visit to son’s university with family and his friends did not help weight, but back on the plan now. We’ll see how it goes. Thanks.

I was fairly restricted after surgery and did not really need a fill but decided to do one anyway and see what it was like (especially since the Dr paid for them for the first 90 days) I had my first fill about 6 weeks post ops of 4 cc but nothing would go down after that, not even Water so 2 cc were removed and I really don't think that I am going to have any more. The nurse said that I probably did not need the first fill to begin with but I spoke with a lady sitting next to me in the Dr office and she got 4 cc that day with no problems. Good luck to you but I guess the best recomendation is that everyone is different and it will be trial and error til you find that sweet spot.