Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was banded almost four weeks ago and for the past almost 2 wks I haven't lost a single pound. Did anyone else experience this in the beginning? I am consuming between 400 and 600 calories a day. Any advice or encouragement is appreciated.

I was banded almost four weeks ago and for the past almost 2 wks I haven't lost a single pound. Did anyone else experience this in the beginning? I am consuming between 400 and 600 calories a day. Any advice or encouragement is appreciated.

You need to start eating more calories. You aren't consuming enough. You may find that once you start getting a little more, you may start losing again.

I went to my two weeks checkup on the 26th of january.my surgery was on the 13th.i lost 19lbs during the two weeks my doctor told me don,t expect to lose anymore weight.roght away.until i start getting my fills.

Same happened to me. I was losing lots- about 4-5 lbs a week. Then about 4 weeks out, I plateaued. I got the same advice to eat more cals. It took about a week after i started eating 1200 cals and today I finally started losing again. If you eat the same amount of cals daily, and it is less than 1200, you body will stop losing and start storing. I hated eating more- but it is working now. Trust me. I didn't think I could do it, but I ate 4 meals instead of 3 to get it all in. I just ate some extra crackers and more Beans and liver sausage. The only bad thing is I get hungry more now.

That"s what I heard too.......1200 calories.It's hard though to get it all in and a pain to keep track of (for me)I'm really consentrating on the Protein too because it's important too!Hang in there you'll get there!!:thumbup:

Hello I was banded a year ago, I did really well and then around October, I kept feeling hungry, yes physical hunger pains, it seemed I would get a fill, it would work, and then 2 weeks later, I would feel unrestricted again. I love my lapband and until now had done really well with it. They are thinking when I got a fill, something in the tubing may have gotten punctured. Now discussing with my doctor, they are talking about perhaps removing the band all together, and doing the sleeve. Has anyone else been thru this and did you overcome it and start losing again, without having a different surgery?

That"s what I heard too.......1200 calories.It's hard though to get it all in and a pain to keep track of (for me)I'm really consentrating on the Protein too because it's important too!Hang in there you'll get there!!:thumbup:

Anytime you are struggling to get your calories in, try drinking some skim milk. If you don't like it plain, make some homemade hot chocolate with cocoa powder and splenda. It is cheaper than buying Protein drinks and taste better too!:thumbup:

Hello I was banded a year ago, I did really well and then around October, I kept feeling hungry, yes physical hunger pains, it seemed I would get a fill, it would work, and then 2 weeks later, I would feel unrestricted again. I love my lapband and until now had done really well with it. They are thinking when I got a fill, something in the tubing may have gotten punctured. Now discussing with my doctor, they are talking about perhaps removing the band all together, and doing the sleeve. Has anyone else been thru this and did you overcome it and start losing again, without having a different surgery?

Kinda sounds like a leak of some nature. I am curios though why, if indeed there is a leak, your doc wouldn't do a procedure to fix the leak and allow you to continue progressing with the band? Are you having other complications that would warrant going to the sleeve?

Brad

This is my take on the issue:

IMO... I repeat... IMO... The formula to avoid is:

Low Calorie Diet + Low Exercise/No Exercise/Low Heart Rate Exercise = No Long Term Success! / Flabby Skin Results / Excessive Loss of Lean Muscle Tissue...

I recommend:

REASONABLE Band Restriction + Moderate Calorie Deficit created by a combination of exercise and diet (rich in lean Proteins, moderate in complex carbs, light on simple carbs), low to moderate in fats (especially saturated/trans ) + Copious amounts of 60%-85% cardio workouts + light to moderate strength training = Gradual Persistant Progress with Long Term Success!

If you're already dealing with a depressed metabolism due in part from eating so few calories - then increase your calorie intake slowly. A rapid swing in calories going up will almost certainly result in a weight gain. Add maybe 100 - 200 every third day.

Protein shakes??? IMO these are for supplemental purposes long term. Once you're able to eat solid foods - you should be getting most of your Protein from lean solid sources. Solid foods and liquid foods will have different impacts on your metabolism as well. When you can't get a meal in or you aren't getting enough protein, supplement with a shake.

Your body can store fats, your body can store carbs, but it cannot store Proteins. A highly excessive protein intake can be coverted to stored fat - but it is a costly conversion compared to the other macronutrients. I have found it's best for me to eat small amounts very frequently. I'm not even certain I'd call them all meals - but every few hours I'm eating a food source that is a reasonable mix of carbs/fats/protein. It helps keep blood sugars stable, energy stable, and metabolism cranking.

Good Luck!

Brad

I was banded on jan. 17, of this year, and I stopped loosing weight 1 week ago, I was getting really discouraged and started thinking that there was something wrong. Thanks to your question and all the people that answered I don't feel like I am alone and that this was just going to be another failed attempt at weight loss. Thank you.

My docs have me on a 3 meal per day....2-3 ounces of protein/meal step right now....tomorrow I will be allowed moist chicken and fish(2-3ounces). I am not supposed to increase amts or try different foods yet. Do you think this is a "hang in there" moment? I met with the nutritionist last week and she too seemed suprised I wasn't losing.

Chiming in with the same advice as everybody else. More calories. You have to change your mindset from dieting to eating properly. You have to feed the machine to get results.

food is Fuel

food is not guilt, food is not fat, food is not your dirty secret.

Food is fuel

Chiming in with the same advice as everybody else. More calories. You have to change your mindset from dieting to eating properly. You have to feed the machine to get results.

food is Fuel

food is not guilt, food is not fat, food is not your dirty secret.

Food is fuel

dan2001....

I really appreciate the reminder that food is fuel and not GUILT, FAT, or A DIRTY SECRET. I am so concerned with sticking to the drs very structured diet that I do feel guilty if I have more than the 2-3 ounces. I had an extra shake the other day and felt terrible. I still have to stick to there parameters...at least until the 9th when I go back. Thanks to everyones posts I can feel better about not losing.....FOR NOW!!!!

you are welcome, also please worry less about losing weight right now, you are still healing

dan2001....

I really appreciate the reminder that food is fuel and not GUILT, FAT, or A DIRTY SECRET. I am so concerned with sticking to the drs very structured diet that I do feel guilty if I have more than the 2-3 ounces. I had an extra shake the other day and felt terrible. I still have to stick to there parameters...at least until the 9th when I go back. Thanks to everyones posts I can feel better about not losing.....FOR NOW!!!!