Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I need motivation re:exercise please

Hi Everyone

I need a massive butt kick or some advice on how to get moving. I seem to have many constant excuses.

I started off doing a bit of a circuit daily at home: 45 mins on treadmill, bike and stepper. This lasted a week and then I ended up back in hospital and bed rest for a week.

Since then I haven't done a thing. I was banded 8th Dec and weight loss was steadily dropping off. The last couple of weeks, however, things have come to a standstill. I have had 1 fill but I know I have to exercise.

Now I'm using the excuse that its just too hot.

Any advice? How did you start your exercise routine? Please help

I am not a big fan of exercising either... my suggestions to you will be what works for me: Curves and Wii Fit! Curves is just a half hour three days a week and on the other days I have fun on the wii (wii fit). I don't get bored and it's fun! I hope this helps, good luck!:thumbup:

Yeah, I always do the running (10 min) and step (10 min), the other games are just for fun.

I'm right there with you on the exercise thing, not a big fan of that. My husband got me a gym membership for christmas (which I asked for) so i'm just beginning that. Really intimidating at first, but I just have to keep telling myself that i'm there for myself and no one else. Only you can help yourself. I understand the standstill also, I was up to walking almost 3 miles a day and then I broke my foot and was in a cast for 2 months.

I have a hard time getting the exercise in as well. I have a treadmill that I hardly ever use. I did get on it again this AM and felt good doing so. Just need to remember that feeling.

I'm a SAHM with a 2 1/2 yr old and work part-time from home. I can make all sorts of excuses to not exercise. :redface:

One thing we've started doing is walking up to the main road to get our mail. Takes about 20/25 minutes and going is uphill. It's not brisk by any means (too busy watching the road and the kiddo!) but it IS walking and getting out in the fresh air. DD enjoys it too. And it's fun. Makes a nice break in the day as well.

I think the key is just finding something that interests you. Even if you think it's more game than exercise. That makes it even better! If you're enjoying the wii, then get on it and play!

I hope I can find something that gets me going!

Best wishes!

Oh, are you in southern Australia, lol. This kind of heat makes it really hard, I mean most of the day, its actually dangerous to be out there in that exerting yourself in any way. There's a few regular runners round here that I see out at midday and often think "you're crazy" coz itsl like 30 degrees celcius, and to me, that's too hot to be running in. I wait till evening.

This past week, I've done all my exercise indoors using my treadmill, positioned under an airconditioning vent, and I've gotten up early to do it and get it out of the way before 9 am. Its the only way. I've managed every day and its not been too bad.

I dont know what to say to those who are unmotivated to do it. You just have to. Its way easier to do 45 minutes of exercise than it is to stay on a diet, that's the way I think of it. I dont want to clean the bathroom or do the dishes either, but I have to you know?

Well, I dont, lol, I'll actually exercise in preference to doing those chores. When you start to see the result, it gets easier and I found that it did take six months to a year but eventually it became something I wanted to do.

Running, and having races to train for an aim for really helped me with motivation though, I dont know that I would have stuck it out without that external motivation until the habit stuck.

Quite honestly, I think you're trying to do too much too soon. You are going from 0 to 100 and no one is going to stick with that kind of situation.

My suggestion? What I did, of course! :redface:

Start out slow, 2-3 times a week with something you, if not particularly enjoy, at least have no trouble accomplishing. When I started, I would go out and walk and not necessarily with purpose... what I mean by that is: just moving was my goal; not sweating, not briskly -- just walking. Then, after I felt like that was "routine", I added another day and began to make it a brisk walk. After another couple of weeks, when that became "routine", I decided to try Couch-2-5K instead of just walking. I would do each week until I felt comfortable. If it took me 3 weeks to get comfortable with week 1, so be it. Five weeks on week 2? So be it! After I became accustomed to that, I bumped up to 5 days a week and now, almost 9 months later, I am running up to 3 miles/with the endurance to sometimes run 25 minutes at a time (although I prefer intervals). I use the elliptical and weights on alternate days.

Exercise is key but you're not going to lose the weight tomorrow and it's okay if you take it slow. If you had told me in May (when I had my surgery) that I would be running as my exercise, I would have laughed in your face and probably fallen on your foot when I was rolling around on the floor laughing. :thumbup: Now, I LOVE it! I really, really do. I never would have believed it. So, anyway, just take it slow, make yourself do it and test the waters one foot at a time instead of just jumping in -- you're learning a lot of new things right now and jumping into them all at one time can be overwhelming so just take your time. YOU CAN DO IT!! :)

Edited by Southern Missy
it's too early!

Gee I really envy you girls who do running. I hope one day I can post something like that too.

A friend came over last night and we went for a 40 min walk and it was great. I'm going to try swimming this week.

I think you are right I need to start slowly. 3 times a week is doable.

That is great!! You'll find that all it takes to get started is a plan and then make it a priority. You're already on the right road, just by asking for help. Good going! :w00t:

Ya know, you might be on that ever famous Plateau! I am a yr out and I remember that about every 15-20 lbs I would get on a plateau. Just remember to keep walking, it does not have to be on the stepper and everything else. There will be plenty of time after your DR says it is ok. Just moving is the name of the game now. heal, eat consiously and move some more and don't for get to drink, drink and drink some more. All that drinking makes you have to move to the bathroom 4x as much. Be paitient and learn to use your new band. make it work for you. If I don't exercise now I really feel guilty. I may, only maybe take 1 day off a week from exercising. I went from a size 16/18 in Jan 08 to now a size 6/8. Love my band. Good luck:thumbup:

I work full-time plus I have a commute. I don't like mornings! So I exercise in the evening after I get off work.

Perhaps you are starting off with too much exercise?? We all have to start somewhere, but usually we start off slower.

Give yourself time to build up your strength so you can increase your workouts gradually. You will get there.

You MUST add it to your schedule. In addition to that, prepare getting your workout stuff together the night before. Most importantly, starting out, you need to find some form of exercise that would be fun to you. For instance, if you like to dance, Zumba, Body Jam or just popping in the electric slide, cha cha slide, or cupid shuffle cd's and do them for 30 min starting out and increase the time every week. You do need some strenght training so you could start of with resistance bands and small hand weights and possible a body pump class whicc I LOVE!!! Good luck in your exercise search.

Hi Everyone

I need a massive butt kick or some advice on how to get moving. I seem to have many constant excuses.

I started off doing a bit of a circuit daily at home: 45 mins on treadmill, bike and stepper. This lasted a week and then I ended up back in hospital and bed rest for a week.

Since then I haven't done a thing. I was banded 8th Dec and weight loss was steadily dropping off. The last couple of weeks, however, things have come to a standstill. I have had 1 fill but I know I have to exercise.

Now I'm using the excuse that its just too hot.

Any advice? How did you start your exercise routine? Please help