Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Kaiser Southern California Pays for Lap Band

thanks mb20mom!

i just got my options packet in the mail. they're asking for documentation that i've been in a weight loss program for at least six months BEFORE i come to my options orientation meeting. are they kidding? does this mean i have to dick around with jenny craig for half a year, then do options for five months, then maybe have surgery?

does this mean i have to dick around with jenny craig for half a year, then do options for five months, then maybe have surgery?

I don't think so. They want to know that you've tried many times to lose weight and failed. You'll want to list all the different ways that you tried, like Jenny Craig, WW, Nutrisystem, Atkins diet, etc. They're looking to see that this isn't your first attempt at losing weight, that's all. I'm sure that once you start listing them you'll fill up years worth of attempts, not just 6 months.

My classes are over, but they told us at the end that they are approving the Lap Band again. I'm still doing the sleeve, and I'm on the waiting list at Harbor City for it...just waiting for my call...Good luck with the classes!

i hope you're right! here's what my info packet says under the "are you a candidate?" section:

>> 2. You have made several serious attempts with traditional approaches to lose weight (e.g., programs that include dietary counseling, behavior modification, and exercise). We desire that you provide proof that you have participated in an approved weight management plan for at least six months within the last ten years; attending weekly, missing no more than two sessions. Acceptable proof of participation will include weights and dates on program letterhead with appropriate signature. <<

then in "how to begin":

>> Step 1: Gather documentation of your past weight loss attempts and complete your Bariatric Pre-Program Questionnaire. You need a letter or some form of documentation (weights and dates on letterhead with a signature) to show you have participated in a weekly supervised weight loss plan for at least six months. Qualifying plans include those that provide nutritional education, behavioral support, and exercise fitness guidance. Acceptable documentation includes:

*Three areas of supervision and education for weight loss to include behavioral support, exercise, and nutritional counseling.

*Participation in a supervised program like Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, NutraSystem, or any hospital-based program plus six months of documented exercise and documented behavioral support conducted at the same time.

*Participation in the Weight Management Programs (good attendance required). If you have been in one of our programs for six months or longer within the last ten years, you do not need to provide documentation. <<

what the hell? this is in my "things to do before i attend the OPTIONS orientation session" literature.

It seems like they changed the paperwork then. As mentioned above, I only had to list everything I did in an attempt to lose weight... I did do WW and Jenny, but didn't have to show any proof. Maybe now they are looking to be sure that you have done that, because there are so many people in the system trying to get into Options. I would like everything and see what they say. The Options program is great! I only one class left and they say that I should have my surgery before the end of the year or during the winter break (between Christmas and New Years). I'm very happy with the Options program and what they teach. Go for it and don't look back... Good luck.

thanks for the info! i'll definitely pursue the OPTIONS program, but i'm disappointed in my interpretation of their guidelines. i'll know soon enough if my interpretation is wrong, though.