Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long after a c-section until you can be banded?

I was all set to have my surgery last summer when I found out I was pregnant. Does anyone know how long after a c-section until you can be banded?

Thanks!

I don't know "the rules" as both are considered major surgery.

I was 10 months out from my c-section with our first daughter when I was banded. I would have been banded sooner but my original surgeon and his office were idiots.

I would call your surgeon again to check their policy. However, I would guess it to be six weeks. Have you already delivered the baby?

Hi,

You may already have your answer to your question but just in case you don't - I went last week to see a LapBand Surgeon and I have a 10 week old C-section baby. He said as long as it had been 6 weeks then it was fine. I guess each surgeon has his preference but that's probably close to standard.

I'm schedule for surgery on March 31st. I can't wait to begin my journey. Best of luck to you.

Dalaina

I think it also has to do with whether or not you are breastfeeding. Due to the large amount of medications that are standard during and after surgery, I would think you would have to be completely done breast-feeding. Even in a routine surgery you are given anesthesia, blood thinners, steroid or antibiotic injection, anti-nausea, pain pills, etc.

In addition to having a 10 week old C-section baby, I am also breasting my baby and plan to continue until she is 1 year old. My LapBand surgery is on March 31st. Breastfeeding doesn't exclude you from surgery but it does make it a bit more difficult. For one thing, you must keep you calories at 1600 to maintain your milk supply. Therefore, my doctor said the weight loss would be slower. Also, maintaining 1600 calories during the Clear Liquids faze is going to be challenging but others have done it successfully. But you have to use Protein Drinks and basically drink all day long to do it. You also have to pump and dump for 24 hours after your surgery to allow time for the medications to get out of your system. If you plan to take anything stronger than Tylenol or Iboprophen for the pain following surgery - then you can nurse and then take the tablet and then nurse again 4 hours later by which time the medicine will be out of your system.

Good luck to you! My Dr wouldnt do the suregery until the baby was 1. I wish he would have been willing to do it sooner.

Good luck to you! My Dr wouldnt do the suregery until the baby was 1. I wish he would have been willing to do it sooner.

Wow, that seems ultra conservative. A year is a long time to wait.