Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi, I am a food addict

I say that because for some reason I forget. I had my first fill on friday. I am discouraged because , I don't know what I was expecting.

Before surgery I felt so well educated, so gung ho, feeling so hopeful!

I feel like my eating lately is worse then it was before the surgery. I feel like I can eat unlimited amounts of food. I am rarely hungry, but honestly I never really ate just when I was hungry. I used to eat just to eat.

Before surgery my main demon to deal with was binge eating. I always said, that if I could eliminate the binges I would be just fine. At a younger age, I went through years of bulimia. The purging stopped in my early 20's but the binging never really stopped. Though there were periods when the binging was not so much of an issue.

I really really need to work on the psychological aspect of this band. I so do not want to fail again.

Thanks for listening to my rants.

Hang in there. I used to binge eat as well especially when I was stressed out. Be patient. This might help. Everyday or the night before I would always make my lunch for the day for work. I would measue the volumes out in the 4 oz containers that I bought. Using a stop watch I ate every 3 hours on the dot, even if I was not hungry. I still do it to this day. While drinking lots of Water in between but never less than a half an hour after I ate. Make it a routine and as time goes by, my brain would look at the food as fuel for my body. Go one day at a time, dont scale watch and get fills when needed. if you need to talk with someone that deals with eating disorders, then by all means do it. Good luck and take one day at a time. Eventually and hopefully you will see food for what it is. "fuel for your body":thumbup:

weight.png

Surgery date 10/9/08

1st Fill 11/11/08=3.5cc

2nd Fill 12/9/08=1.5cc

3rd Fill 1/9/08=.75cc

Total 5.75cc in a 14 cc band

Thanks for your encouragement. I have had ALOT of therapy over all this and most of the time I have a good grip of the reality of all this. It seems to slip away at times.

It is fairly simple really. Eat to live. :(

I havent been banded yet.( not till next month ), but I didnt really know you COULD binge eat with the band. so im a bit confused =/

You can binge eat on slider foods, icecream, chips, Cookies. They go right through the band. If you choose the correct foods, the band will help you feel satisfied with less food, and you shouldn't get hungry until about 4 hours later once you get the proper restriction. The band doesn't choose foods for you. Please understand it won't make you lose weight.

It will work for you, if you are willing to work it properly.

Little Debbie snack cakes are sliders too, so I have figured out. grr Knowledge is power.

I am learning that even foods that aren't "BAD" can be slider foods. I love Special K Cereal with a pack of splenda and skim milk. I only eat one serving, but I am hungry very shortly after eating it. I think that along with not being able to exercise after surgery (hysterectomy 5 weeks ago) is why I am not losing now. I didn't start eating the Cereal until after my hysterectomy. The dang surgery caused swelling and my band was a little too tight. I didn't want to go for an unfill because I had 4 NEW incisions to join my 6 from banding. I did NOT want them feeling for my port when I had a new incision less than an inch away!!!:cursing:

I guess slider foods can be different for everyone. I guess I just need to trial and error.

Ouch, I hope your incisions are feeling better!

be careful about binge eating with the band. Pay attention to portion size. I'm getting banded later this month, but doctor said that pouch dilation is the highest complication rate he sees. From regular stretching of pouch. Many threads in here discuss the issue / potential problems.

Good luck, I'm know I'll have the same struggles. Hard to get used to the idea of what a real portion size looks like...

if you have good restriction you can not binge. No matter how I try I cannot eat almost anything! Hang in there.

if you have good restriction you can not binge. No matter how I try I cannot eat almost anything! Hang in there.

This is so what I am in need of. Thanks for the hope!:angry:

This is so what I am in need of. Thanks for the hope!:thumbup:

You know you shouldn't be looking for ways to get in the foods you like the most. My problem in life isn't binging but snacking all night long. dinner is not a meal it was a series Snacks. I am consciously trying to reduce the snacking. I feel like I need sweets all the time. Right now my advice for you is don't waste your money. Do the plan stick to a sensible diet fo most days. Don't eat junk but every now and then. Good luck.

Hi Rebecca,

Thanks for your post--I am in the same boat!

Have you ever tried or considered OA (Overeaters Anonymous)? I attended some meetings as part of my pre op psych requirement, and found it to be very helpful. I haven't been in awhile, but now that I'm banded and am struggling with 'head hunger' more than anything, I plan to get back to regular meetings.

http://www.oa.org/

And I'm always looking for new friends here on LBT, so please feel free to message me anytime if you want to talk one on one.

Take care,

Val

Hi Rebecca,

Have you ever tried or considered OA (Overeaters Anonymous)? I attended some meetings as part of my pre op psych requirement, and found it to be very helpful. I haven't been in awhile, but now that I'm banded and am struggling with 'head hunger' more than anything, I plan to get back to regular meetings.

And I'm always looking for new friends here on LBT, so please feel free to message me anytime if you want to talk one on one.

Take care,

Val

Great. I need all the help[or should I say support] I can get. I will be in contact.

Hi Rebecca,

Take care,

Val

Thank you so much for your response. I have been to quite a few OA meetings over the years and have even been on retreats and used to be with an online support group that was the non dieting approach to OA. I don't and cannot diet as the way society diets, with the ED. I really do believe that I can work with this band because of the intuitive eating approach.

I bring the old OA books out at times and it really helps. Thanks for the reminder. :thumbdown: