Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Available Lap Band Buddy / Mentor I'm here to help

Hi, Awesome weight loss! i have been banded since 2/13/08. my starting weight was 232lb. I got down to 162lbs. For the past 6 months I have had this i dont care attitude, putting something in my mouth all the time, which is usually junk food because it just works better and i dont have to worry about getting stuck. I am in a rut and i cant get out. i have thought about joining weight watchers, i think just for the support, but then i think how is that going to work?? i wont be able to eat all that much. I just dont know what i need :smile: I think what i need is a good buddy to be my mentor, when i read your story and your success, I was impressed. i would love to be your support buddy. i just feel that i have come way to far(current weight 185LB ) to blow it all now, your help would greatly be appreciated. i hope to hear from you soon, real soon....... I need help!! God Bless

Hi

Thanks for the cuddos.. I too have been eating more and I was banded 2 weeks before you. I've joined overeaters anonymous beczause my relationship with food is that I'm addicted. Even though I got the band, I still have issues like sabotoging myself and eating too much. Yesterday was an eating day , and although I loved the food, the whole thing about being able to eat that much with the band is scary. I could gain my weight back. Oh no, I'm scared. Yes I'd like to be a budy, I can really use it also.

Hi Tina~

Your story is inspirational! I am very smiliar to you too~ I am 34 yeras old soon to be 35. I was banded 12/16/08 to date I have only lost 25 lbs. I have had two fills and do not feel restricted. When will I feel the way I did after surgery? I h ave not really lost any weight at all in 2 months and really need too! I am starting to feel like this is not going to work for me and this is not the attitude I want to have at all!

I hate being overweight it limits me in so many ways, I avoid social situations with people who knew me when I was "skinny" at this point I just want to be HEALTHY for my two little boys.

So as of today I am 3 months out and 25 lbs lost any timeline.......should I start losing again soon? I get another fill on 4/1???

Thanks!

Angie

hi i 2 had my band 12/23/08. i have lost a total oa 30 lbs. my dr. did not have me do the Optifast prior 2 surgery.i did a low fat 2 wks & A 2 DAYliquid .i am a diabetic high blood pressure/single mom.i 2 feel like the band was a waste of my time and hard earned money. iam a self pay. had 2 charge up 3 credit cards 2 have this damn surgery that isn't worth a quarter

Hello Everyone,

I am scheduled for surgery on 6/3. My Pre Op visit to the doctors was on the 21st of May. The dietician instructed me to begin liquids on 5/22. However, I have eaten a little on Memorial day (just a piece of steak and about 3 diced potatoes). I am starting straight liquids today 5/26 until the date of my surgery. Not eating anything on Memorial Day was a great challenge.

Is a week prior to my scheduled surgery enough time to do straight liquids? Please advise me of whether this will pose an hinderance on my surgery.

Getting cold feet, as I have read several posts about perhaps making a bad decision to have the surgery -- these thoughts occurred in these individuals after surgery, during Post Opt. Scares me as there is no turning back!!!

Thoughts?

Hi just a quick note to tell you just go for it it will work but you have to go into it nowing that this is only a tool and everything you put in your mouth is going to count unlike the people who have gastric bypass where alot of there food goes right through without the body using it. I feel it was a good choice for me, and I am sure if you know all the rules and follow them you will be a success. I have 32 LBS. to go I got a little sidetracked but thats not the lapbands fault it's mine because I'm not using it properly. As for the week of liquids i don't recall being on liquids just before surgery, so sorry cant help you there. just afterwards i was on liquids for a few days then to puree foods. I wish you luck and if you have anyother questions you can private message me i dont mind we are here for each other, ok. Good Luck! you will be glad you got banded :smile:

Hi just a quick note to tell you just go for it it will work but you have to go into it nowing that this is only a tool and everything you put in your mouth is going to count unlike the people who have gastric bypass where alot of there food goes right through without the body using it. I feel it was a good choice for me, and I am sure if you know all the rules and follow them you will be a success. I have 32 LBS. to go I got a little sidetracked but thats not the lapbands fault it's mine because I'm not using it properly. As for the week of liquids i don't recall being on liquids just before surgery, so sorry cant help you there. just afterwards i was on liquids for a few days then to puree foods. I wish you luck and if you have anyother questions you can private message me i dont mind we are here for each other, ok. Good Luck! you will be glad you got banded :blush:

Minnesotalady,

Thanks so very much for your reply to my message. It was so very encouraging. I am more inspired to work diligently at maintaining my caloric intake prior to and following the surgery, as I too want to see good progress. It would be nice to be on the liquid diet for only a few days following the procedure, but unfortunately, I will have to do it for a couple of weeks prior to moving to puree foods, yuk. Nevertheless, the results will make the hard work worth my efforts.

Thanks again. :blush:

awesome weight loss.....128 LBS!! i was struggling but thankfully have got back on track. i have 30 LBS. to my first goal. i was banded 2/13/07. I should have been at my goal weight by now, but with all my stressers in my life i got side tract, so here i am looking for support to get to goal by labor day. So any good advice would be greatly appreciated. Again awesome job on your weight loss.

Hi there. I guess you could put me in the "success" category. I'm am a 35 year old female who began my lap band journey on April 30, 2007. In September 2006 I had reached the point where I couldn't take it anymore. I went to my doctor and told him that I was interested in lapband. I had to follow the six-month "diet" before going to a surgeon. I did that and didn't lose any weight. So...off to a surgeon I went.

My surgery was planned for April 30 and I had to do a two week liquid diet (Optifast). So...on April 16, 2007 I had a "Farewell to Fat" party at my house. I was done with it and ready to begin my "new life". On April 17 (the day that I started the liquid) I weighed 275 pounds.

I am married (struggling with issues currently) and I have two lovely little boys. I work for the federal government in Washington DC. I have been with this agency for over 17 years.

To date, I have lost 128 pounds. I have a new life...I feel great, have tons of energy and feel like a completely different person. I know how hard this is to do by yourself so I am available to assist anyone in any way that I can. I know that if I can do it...anyone can...

Feel free to contact me and I'll assist you as best I can.

MinnesotaLady,

I enjoyed reading your post. I too am married with various issues that I am currently trying to Iron the kinks out of, however, that is now on the back burner for now as my surgery is scheduled for tomorrow moring. I have to do my own injections at home following the surgery. I have never had to give myself injections. The injections are for preventing post blood clots and the medicine is to be injected into my stomach through the syringe each day for about 10 days.

Have you or anyone had to do this following surgery? If so, what was you experience with this procedure? I am simply not a fan of needles.:party:

Any thoughts concerning this matter is so much appreciated.

Edited by ladyT

Lady T

Good Luck tomorrow. I just wanted you to know that I did not have any major problemsfollowing my surgery, except for gas. You need to walk to help release the gas. Also, my doctor said I could use over the counter products to relieve the gas. Just for you information. No other problems were encounteres.

I don't know about the injections in the stomach and this is the first time I'm hearing about them. Do you have certain medical condtions tha require the shots.

Well good luck and best wishes on your way to a slimmer you.

Thanks so much for your reply. The surgeon that is performing my surgery is very high on preventing blood clotting. Each one of his patients are subjected to the injections.

Thanks for your support and great advice. I took look forward to a skinnier me!!

Surgery is over!!! Just like you said -- it was a breeze. I was up and walking the same day, but taking it very easy as my doctor kept me overnight for observation. I went for my follow-up prior to returning the work within 7 days following my discharge, and everything seemed to be going as planned. I am healing according to what the doctor had expected, but my abdomen was still very swollen from the surgery. Therefore, the doctor stated that he was unable to find the port for a possible fill. That was normal according to the doctor, but I am still swollen and soar on the left side where the lapband was placed.

My question to you is, "How long does it take before the swelling and soreness subside?". I would like to begin working out, and my next appointment for a fill is July 26, 2009. I hope the swelling goes down then -- I'm kind of concerned about that.

Also, my exciting news is that I have already lost 15 pounds and moving along for additional loss. Last week I started with cream of wheat for Breakfast and chicken broth for lunch and dinner. This week I am eating fat free oatmeal for Breakfast and last night I had a half of a soft taco which was so very yummy. However, but after taking a couple of bites, I was done with that taco.

However, I noticed that as the days go by, I am beginning to get hungry. Is this because I need my first fill?

Hope all is well with you and everyone on this forum. Your response concerning this matter is so very much appreciated.

In the midst of my journey!!!!

LadyT

I wasn't really swollen but a lot of people have to wait for their first fill. Your in bandster hell until your fils start kicking in. Hold on it will happen

LadyT

I wasn't really swollen but a lot of people have to wait for their first fill. Your in bandster hell until your fils start kicking in. Hold on it will happen

Bandana,

Thanks so much for your reply! Now just so that I understand clearly, the fill is what actually helps me lose weight, as it makes me feel a bit fuller?:wink:

Oh my gosh, you are a success and I so need a mentor. I was banded in Sept 08 and wt loss is just 19 lbs. Help...