Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

six days POST-op appointment

Today I saw my surgeon to have my staples removed.

Several things.

I knew to expect bruising, but my lower abdomen is seriously a violet purple. About 6 inches long, and 4 inches wide.

My surgeon told me "I must have done something in my sleep".

To my knowledge I wasn't hit by a truck in my sleep.

Has anyone else suffered from severe bruising?

Is there something I should be worried about? I am pretty young, 24, but can't you get a blood clot or something like that from bruises so violent looking?

And, I actually GAINED weight.

My surgeon is Dr. Kwon he is from upstate New York. And I heard from a lot of people he is amazing, but he makes you follow an extremely strict diet while recovering.

The first five days was Water, diet snapple, water, crystal light, and more water. Nothing else. On the 4th day his nurse called me and said I could introduce sugar-free ice pops.

And, I followed everything. It was hard as hell. But I got though it.

Prior to the surgery they took me off my blood pressure pill, because it also acted as a diuretic. Only consuming water products, they didn't want me to dehydrate and get sick.

Is it possible that I retained SIX pounds of water weight?

My doctor almost seemed angry with me. I never had surgery before, so you better believe I am following every detail of every instruction.

I asked him if I could go back on my regular blood pressure pill, and he seemed to be ok with that. But I don't want to cause any harm to myself.

For the next two weeks I am allowed water, tea, diet snapple, and now protien shakes. But not milk-based protien shakes.

I noticed when they did switch my blood pressure pill I wasn't using the bathroom but once or twice a day.

I started back on my old blood pressure pill this morning, and used the restroom several times. And I am keeping hydrated.

Sorry if this seems scattered, but I am new to surgery so my brain always goes to the dark place first.

Thank you, guys!!!

Edited by twoheadedgirl

i think Water can be a cause of weight gain, inthe hosptial I of course had nothing for 2 days, I got out and gained 3 pounds, three days later it looked like I actually lost the 3 and then 2 more.

You can swell and retain fuild. The amount will always be different person to person. I am surprised at the lack of Protein in your first week though. But as you continue on your journey you will find that doctors are all different. You will find what works for you, keep the faith. The brusing is normal and while I didn't have as much as you they will fade in time. Go Luck

You can swell and retain fuild. The amount will always be different person to person. I am surprised at the lack of Protein in your first week though. But as you continue on your journey you will find that doctors are all different. You will find what works for you, keep the faith. The brusing is normal and while I didn't have as much as you they will fade in time. Go Luck

My surgeon is pretty notorious for how strict he is.

All the pamphlets from the Lap Band company itself, he hands them out with stuff crossed out in black marker and replaced with his own diet.

I am now on the Protein shakes. My Mom, and Aunt have both had the Gastric Bypass, so we've taste tested ever Protein shake out there, and we all find that the nectar Protein powder is really good. I am on that now 3 times a day. And plenty of fluids inbetween.

In 2 weeks I meet with my surgeons nutritionist, and from there she will tell me what foods I will be allowed to reintroduce back into my life.

Since I switched back to my original Blood Pressure pill I have dropped 3 pounds. So, that made me feel much better. I don't want to start this off on a bad foot.

Sorry for the novel long reply. I still haven't told any of my close friends about my surgery yet. So I have all these questions, and concerns and no one to talk express them too.

But thank you so much for the reply, and the encouragment!!

You aren't the only one who has kept quiet on the surgery. I didn't say anything to anybody for the first month, then gradually told close friends. Now I'm more open about it and 2 coworkers are attending the seminars for themselves.

This forum is a great place to ask questions and vent when things go wrong. No doubt somebody is going through the same things you are. If reminds us that we aren't alone. But remember nobody takes the place of your doctors orders.