Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Seriously thinking about Lap-Band...still not sure

Hello everyone, I'm new to this site. I've been learning about the Lap-Band and it's positives, along with it's negatives. I'm beginning to see the benefits outweighing the risks and I'm thinking it could be an amazing tool for me to have on my weight loss journey. I currently weigh at least 100 lbs above a healthy weight and have never been a thin adult. I've already seen personal successes of others in my life, and now, I believe, it's my turn. Still, I have some reservations and I'm not 100% sure-I'm probably around 60% convinced right now. I just went to an info session @ NYU in NY city and learned a little bit more. I'll be checking out the forums and learning about other people's experiences in the coming weeks and go through the process one small step at a time.

Gina

Gina,

I am right there with you! I am also weighing the pros and cons and so far, the pros are on the upside. I too, have been overweight for most of my adult life, but not as a kid or teenager. I barely even remember being "skinny"! So, this will be such a new experience for me. I have an appt with a surgeon next week and I am really excited about it. I think the most important thing that I have learned from reading this forum and other resources, is that this is NOT a magic wand, it is only a tool and you still have to be committed to lifestyle changes to be successful. Your world will be forever changed with the lapband, but I think the good outweighs the bad. Good luck in your decision and if you want to talk more about it, email me at tntreg2@aol.com.

Welcome to both of you :)

Hi Babbs! Thanks for the welcome! I am both excited and scared! Do you think this is normal?!

Hi Shelly,

I too am considering Lap Band. I went to a seminar and the doctor told me things that helped me lean more torwards the surgery. He said that people who loose a substantial amout of weight without WLS almost always gains a portion of it back if not all of it. Losing weight has never been my problem, but keeping it off is my problem.

The doc also said that people who lose weight on the band, change their eating habits and decide to have the band removed always gains back the weight, even if they change their diets. He said that there is really no medical explanation as to why this happens, but that it does.

It makes me wonder if once our body grows fat cells if they ever die? Maybe they (fat cells) still remain once the fat is gone and lurk around waiting for us to feed it just one crumb of fat to blow us back up?

After seeing Oprah and the biggest loser winner balloon back up despite all their efforts, helps me to make the lap band decision.

Edited by Kimber7

Hi Babbs! Thanks for the welcome! I am both excited and scared! Do you think this is normal?!

Hi Shelley :w00t: Goodness yes, I think that is completely normal! I know I too had those feelings all the way until I actually had my surgery :tt1: I was worried I would fail, but anxious to try - so many thoughts went through my head on a daily basis :thumbup:

I can't wait to see more from you guys as you travel along :eek:

Hey there, I'm in Irving, Tx and also considering getting the lap band done. I've been working my way through meeting my insurance requirements, think I'm finally done! We'll see if they approve me.

My biggest struggle right now is between that "well... have I really done EVERYTHING that I could to get the weight off?" and "If I were going to be sucessful without surgery wouldn't I have done that by now." It toys with me that this seems to be the thing I can't control and dealing with issues of failure around that. :tongue:

How did you guys decide that the band was the right thing for you?

I'm afraid to do anything permanent to my body (i.e. Gastric Bypass) and I can't seem to keep the weight off on my own. Lap Band is the best choice for me.

Hey there, I'm in Irving, Tx and also considering getting the lap band done. I've been working my way through meeting my insurance requirements, think I'm finally done! We'll see if they approve me.

My biggest struggle right now is between that "well... have I really done EVERYTHING that I could to get the weight off?" and "If I were going to be sucessful without surgery wouldn't I have done that by now." It toys with me that this seems to be the thing I can't control and dealing with issues of failure around that. :tongue:

How did you guys decide that the band was the right thing for you?

I do not think I have actually told anyone exactly why and what made me decide to have this surgery on this site - but here it is...

My Aunt who has watched me struggle for so long finally asked me when I was going to stop punishing myself with food and learn to live.

That is what did it for me. She and her daughter had both had gastric bypass and that is what they did - they lived emotionally and physically. It made me (and I say me personally) realize that I was going to be this way for the rest of my life if I didn't get help and I didn't want to live the rest of my life this way.

Good luck to you :lol:

As a matter of fact a fat cell used is never destroyed. You can shrink it and deplete it but that actual cell membrane is always there......well unless you have it removed via surgery. So basically, your right, fat cells themselves never go away and are anxiously awaiting excess to replenish themselves.

I got the band, because, I haven't been thin since 3rd grade. I won't be thin because of the lapband, but I will weigh significantly less, and it will be easier to control how much I eat. I will still have the responsibility to make the right decisions on what to eat.

Right On Jaffe Steve! I'm with you on weighing less!

Your aunt hit it right on the head Babbs. I too am tired of punishing myself. I don't want to and will never be a size two, but I will be a size healthier.

I believe the Band is the right choice for me because it will allow me to get back in the driver's seat of my life and health by helping me control my relationship with food. The Band is the least evasive of the wls and has a faster recovery time.

Two people in my life had Lap-Band. One of them had it revised to a sleeve. The other person, (who is my wife, but we're separated) I saw struggle with the Lap -Band in the presence of a significant eating disorder, including bulimia. She has managed the bulimia to some extent and has kept off about 60 lbs. Seeing her struggle has been one of the reasons I put off surgery for so long. Another reason was that I didn't want any thing "permanently" left in my body (yes, I know it can be removed through surgery). I also knew I didn't want to have my organs and intestines rearranged through bypass surgery, so I stalled...for a few years. Neither felt right. Recently, at the end of May/ early June, I came across an article on Gastric Sleeve and felt this would be the best surgery for me. Everyone's needs and wants are different, but I just wanted to share my experience, so far. Also, my surgeon (Dr. Atwa, East Setauket, NY) said that he removes more Lap-Bands than he puts in. I think him and the other doctors no longer do the lap band. Good luck on your journeys, whatever surgery you choose.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using the BariatricPal App

Hi Shelly,

I too am considering Lap Band. I went to a seminar and the doctor told me things that helped me lean more torwards the surgery. He said that people who loose a substantial amout of weight without WLS almost always gains a portion of it back if not all of it. Losing weight has never been my problem, but keeping it off is my problem.

The doc also said that people who lose weight on the band, change their eating habits and decide to have the band removed always gains back the weight, even if they change their diets. He said that there is really no medical explanation as to why this happens, but that it does.

It makes me wonder if once our body grows fat cells if they ever die? Maybe they (fat cells) still remain once the fat is gone and lurk around waiting for us to feed it just one crumb of fat to blow us back up?

After seeing Oprah and the biggest loser winner balloon back up despite all their efforts, helps me to make the lap band decision.

I've had the lapband since 2008. If you opt for a lap band my best advice is do NOT do it unless you are committed to follow ups with your doctor. If you want a maintenance free surgery, prolly go sleeve. Every time I get too busy and not follow up every 6 months, I get in to trouble. I'm currently going through the process of getting the revision to sleeve but haven't made up my mind. Glad I found this forum.

To anyone who may be considering LapBand: don't.

I had the procedure done in February 2008. I lost roughly 30 pounds during the first eight months, but spent the entire time vomiting back at least one meal in three.

I plead with my bariatric surgeon (a man evidently so incompetent that he stopped practicing due to all the malpractice suits he was losing) to do an adjustment under flouroscopy to see how the band was functioning. He refused each time I asked, and after eight months I had an insurance coverage change that made seeing him a financial burden.

My change in insurance coverage (to United Health Care, whom I recommend to NO ONE) resulted in an inability to be administered any form of bariatric care for eight years. The 30 pound weight loss was as good as it got - over the time since, I regained it all plus six pounds, all the while still vomiting about one meal in four.

On August 1st my insurance coverage finally changed (to BCBS), whereupon I initiated a new round of bariatric care, the ultimate goal of which will be to remove the band, probably in favor of a duodenal switch. But just since then, I've heard of so many stories and outcomes similar to my own that I can't help but chime in and repeat: if you're considering a LapBand? Don't.