Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need Pep talk! Lap Band Surgery 1/21/09!

:yikes:I am having Lap Band surgery on 1/21/09! :crying: This is my first post. I'm new to the lapbandtalk thing, Please bear with me. any tips are greatly appreciated.Although I have a good support system I'm really doing this on my own. I've noticed that even the most Supportive friends & family are still a little jealous & weary of what kind of person you will be after the weight loss...:::tt1::: very frustrating. I had P.A.T's today & med. clearance. I have anxiety & panic disorder BUT PUSHED MYSELF to go alone. It wasn't bad... I quit smoking 12/23/08,i will quit eating on 1/20/09 & I suppose I can't drink alcohol 4 a while either! :sneaky:The price we pay for being thin!!!:wink: Any tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks! Talk 2 u all soon!

Congrats, and good for you! Try not to be afraid. I know, I was sooooo nervous and there was absolutely NO reason to be.

Here's what happened w/my procedure, and yours will probably be more or less the same.

They take you back and have you put on one of those hospital gowns that your butt wants to poke through the back of...only they'll probably give you an extra big one or two...one to be used as a robe, so your butt won't poke out the back.

They'll put those tight sock thingys on your legs to keep blood clots from forming.

They take your vitals.

They'll put your I.V in...and if they don't offer it, you can probably ask them to give you a little stick of Lidocaine, if the I.V freaks you out, and when they do put your I.V in, you won't even feel it.

The anastegeologist, will come in and say hello, they'll put your hair under a paper cap, and you're off to begin your new life!

The procedure for me, along with the incisions wasn't painful at all, but GAS from the procedure was horrible! Walking...for whatever the reason really helps, and my gas was gone 4 days post-op.

I was home 3 hours after my procedure, and 4 days post op I was shopping at the Mall of Georgia!

Most doctors won't put anything in your band after surgery because they want you to heal for the next month.

1 week of "clear liquids"...juices, popsicles, broth. 1 week of "liquids" ...same of previous week only you get to add creamy Soups, cottage cheese. 1 week of "mushy" foods, and then "real" food. During this time, the trick is staying "satisfied" and not being hungry. You may experience "some" restriction, due to swelling, but after that swelling goes down, there's nothing in your band, nothing to keep you from getting hungry, and really...nothing to keep you from eating whatever you want. I have continued to loose weight during this time (I'm yet to get my first "fill". I get it this Monday!) I took in LOTS of lean, liquid protien. You can get it at health food stores. If you take in enough protien, it's impossible for you to get "physiologically" hungry. That doesn't mean you don't have to deal with "head hunger," but taking regular protien during the day really helps. Also, the Special K protien Water is great! The iced tea flavor can be prepared cold, but it's really good heated up in the microwave.

I tried to find something that I enjoyed more than eating to preoccupy me. For me, it's "art," but everyone has something. So, keep in mind that the above is only "my" personal experience with the band, and things may be different for you, somewhat. Just remember that the band is a "tool" and ONLY a "tool." You have to make major lifestyle changes, but the band definately makes it "do-able."

I will tell you that I paid for my band out of pocket and I'd do it again in a second! I feel so blessed to have had this second chance. Don't let anyone bring you down. You're on your way to a new wonderful life and you can do it.

Try not to think of the things you're giving up as the price for being thin. More importantly (although as a fellow bandster I completely understand the desire to be thin part) you'll be more healthy. Congrats on quiting smoking! And as for the alcohol, give it till you heal, I'm still in the healing stage myself, but if you can tolerate it, why not have a cocktail or glass of wine once in a blue moon? However, I was presented the opportunity this past weekend and ya know, I really didn't want it, I'm losing now and I know that if I did have even a little liquor or wine, it's still a lot of empty calories. Again, try not to think about what you can no longer do, but think about what you will be able to do once you lose the weight! It's a great motivator, and also, maybe try reading the Beck Diet Solution. I read on one of the forums on here that it's a must read for helping get your mind in order to lose weight, and honestly, it is really great. It helps with the temptations and sabotaging thoughts.

Even though you have a great support system, you've already found that right now they can't 100% support you. Even though they love you, and want to see you succeed, they don't fully understand the step you're taking. The actual surgery isn't bad, isn't a huge step, it's the fact that you are willing to change your entire lifestyle to be healthy and happy. They warn you that this can be an emotional rollercoaster as you lose the weight, so hang tight, immediately befor my surgery I was a basket case because I felt like no one understood and they weren't supporting me enough, but now I'm losing and feeling better and the little support that I get is working just fine.

And remember, while you may feel completely alone, and you may feel like you are doing this all by yourself, you're not, there are thousands of people on this site that have gone through and are going through the exact same thing, I'm glad you joined. The site has helped me and I'm sure it'll help you.

My experience was just about the same as above. But I will give you insight to my mental state. I was extremely calm until I got in the car to go to the hospital. My husband and daughter were with me. I cried and thought why am I crying I am going to be fine, better in fact and will be healthier in the long run. So when I was lying on the "cart" to go in I thought I could just get up and walk out of here if I wanted. But I just sat there and breathed in and out and talked to the very nice nurses and they helped relieve my anxieties. So I was banded on August 27, 2008. My recovery was quick and easy. walking and gas x strips helped. I felt good the day after and tried to do too much and then felt like crap after that. So just remember to take it easy the first 5-7 days.

Anyway, you must make "friends" with your band and come to the conclusion that you need this for your health. Also, my family doc helped me relieve anxieties with a prescription , i only took 2 halves and was able to sleep through the night and as time passed I felt better mentally and phsyically.

Listen to your docs and follow every instruction they advise to you because they know best they have many many patients that have had this procedure and they know what you should be doing. I wish you all the very best of luck with your band. Keep in touch and let me now if you have any questions. I have lost 68 lbs so far and hope to lose 100 more.

All the best always,

Angcal26

Good Luck, it sounds like you are on the right track and that track is called loving yourself. The better you treat your body, the more love and respect you have for it. You will be able to drink again after five weeks, but you will be suprised at what a light weight you will be, even though lap band does not change the absorption of alcohol. I found that because I eat such a small amount of food, that I get drunk very easily, so be careful and good luck. Lap band was by far the easiest surgery I have ever had (hx c-section and gall bladder removal). It is the best thing I have ever done, I have had 0 complications so far. I had a lower BMI going into surgery(34) so my weight loss has been very slow. I just started to feel my band working about 2 months ago after my 5th fill, so far I lost 25lbs before surgery and 25 after.