Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Isn't $450 too much to pay for a fill?

Does anyone else think that $450 for a simple fill (no fluro) is excessive? My husband and I both had lap band fills and just got bills dating back to Nov 2007 for every fill and unfill we have had since then. The original charge had been $50 which we paid, and now they changed the amount due to $450 for each visit. Anyone else have this happen? We were self-pay and had a certain number of fills included, but apparently after those were used, they decided to stick it to us! Any advice on how to handle this would sure be appreciated.

To make matters worse, I had to have my band removed because of a slippage--I'm just sick about that!

Frustrated in PA:mad:

Are you saying that you were originally charged and paid $50/fill, but now they're re-billing you for those fills at $450/fill, so that you now owe an extra $400 for all those previous fills?

Yes, that's right. They never, ever told us that fills would be $450. They just asked for $50 every time we checked out.

That's what I thought you were saying, but I couldn't believe it. If, by chance, you have your records, I would first try to correct this myself with their billing dept. Between the two of you, I would guess this may run into a significant amount of money, and it would be prudent to get legal counsel if you can't get anywhere with their billing office. I'm very sorry this is happening to you.

I'm self pay too, and I get free fill for one year. After that, I pay $200/fill.

Edited by kiz

$450 is crazy high and appears to be very deceiving. Have you called your doctor asking why they missed the charge by so much and why are they just now figuring it out to where they have to back bill you (sounds fishy to me). I get free adjustments the first year, then 3 free fills after that then they are $75 a fill or $50 an office visit. Do you have any documentation from your seminars before surgery where prices were discussed?

Does anyone else think that $450 for a simple fill (no fluro) is excessive? My husband and I both had lap band fills and just got bills dating back to Nov 2007 for every fill and unfill we have had since then. The original charge had been $50 which we paid, and now they changed the amount due to $450 for each visit. Anyone else have this happen? We were self-pay and had a certain number of fills included, but apparently after those were used, they decided to stick it to us! Any advice on how to handle this would sure be appreciated.

To make matters worse, I had to have my band removed because of a slippage--I'm just sick about that!

Frustrated in PA:mad:

My doctor charges $100 for the fill + the doctors visit.

It seems excessive, especially if they didn't tell you upfront. I agree about trying to resolve it with them as soon as possible. $450 isn't fair.

It even sounds unethical and illegal (or at least it should be). Hopefully it's some sort of misunderstanding and you can get it straightened out with the billing department.

Wow..that sure seems excessive. My dr. charges $6.00 for the needle. I recently went in for my 7th fill. He put in another 1 cc. Its the first time in a while that I have felt any restriction. It certainly feels good to have some restriction again. I was branded in December of 07 and have only lost 35 lbs. I recently started going to a gym as I know I need to beef up my exercise program.

My Dr. said that he was not disappointed in my weight loss as he could tell that I have lost a lot of inches. Beats me on what he is basing that except he had no trouble finding my port today and usually it has been such a matter of frustration that I doubt if half of my fills even went in. I could tell todays did though. I am just taking it one day at a time. The process has been slow for me, but this is the first year that I can remember when I started the year weighing less than the previous year. Hang in there everyone!

even for a DR that isn t the original one that was responsible.IT IS TOO MUCH .The going price for non installing Dr isaround$225-$250.

Over all this is CRAZY!!!!n I think less than a 5 minute appointment is such an outrageous price I will be looking real soon if my surgical center is charging that kind of a price!!!!!!