Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

to have or not to have surgery in mexico

Guest Denise R. Bass

Guest Denise R. Bass

Thank you for all your help everyone. I know I have a lot of material to cover and find all the facts. I am thinking of going to a seminar in Milwaukee with Dr. Englstead (not the right spelling but close) His costs run anywhere from simple in out surgery of 15,000 to 30,000. That is to much for me to pay but still am working on insurance also. Not going to rush right into this until January. I sure like am pleased to be a part of the lapband community.

Denny

My wife has decided to have lap band surgery next week with Dr. Ortiz in Tijuana. She's been talking about having lap band surgery for about 4 monthsand since she does not qualify for insurance coverage she has elected to look at Mexico. I would never try to tell you who to go to, you need to do your own research and be comfortable with your decision. But I will tell you that I am happy with my research on this Doctor(he proctored my surgeon) and his cost is $9000. Of course I have to pay for the airlines. One other ineresting thing. We don't have to pay any up front money prior to arrival in Mexico. My wife needs to show up with two checks, one for the hospital, and one for the doctor. If she arrives and changes her mind she can turn around and come home with checks in hand. Good luck in your decision

Hi Denny,

I had the procedure done in Mexico on Aug 7, 2003. I can only tell you about my experience and let you decide.

I went to dr. verboonen. He is fabulous, knowledgeable, professional, kind and most importantly very good at what he does. He has done the band for close to 900 people.

I was very hesitant at the beginning to go to Mexico, so I took my parents with me and we had decided that if anything at all seemed the least bit out of the ordinary, we would leave. By the way my father is a doctor so he knows what to look for.

When we got there, we were treated so kindly and dr. verboonen -who has a team of 5 other doctors, explained the whole procedure to us and then took us to the hospital.

Everything from start to finish was handled very professionaly. I have since gone back for my first fill. I am very happy with my decision to use Dr. verboonen. So much so that I am planning on taking both my sisters and my causin to him.

Good Luck,

Mary

Denise,

I was banded in Monterrey by Dr. Rumbaut. He's one of the Inamed trainer surgeons and has placed close to 2000 bands. He also has the band himself and has lost 100 pounds. I paid $10,000 in two checks, as mentioned before. I paid the doc $7500 and the hospital $2500. I had a wonderful experience and am very happy.

Check out my good friend Lori's website. We met in Monterrey and she has put together a wonderful site with pictures of the hotel/hospital, doc and everything. You'll even find me in her pics! Good luck to you!

http://www.cascadeaccess.com/~kbauer/Lori/lorilapband.html

Lisa (Las Vegas, NV)

Dr. Rumbaut 7-8-03

Fill 8-12-03

Loser of 40 pounds and counting!

My surgery was performed by Dr. Rodriguez in Acuna, Mexico. This is right across the border from Del Rio, TX. The cost of my surgery was $6500 all paid to the doctor. He then pays the hospital. The cost has recently went up to $7000 due to an increase in the hospital fees. My husband and I took the greyhound bus to Del Rio ($288 for both) and then stayed at Best Western ($110 for 2 nights). Dr. Rod, all his staff and all the hospital staff were wonderful. I had good care and never felt neglected. I was never scared about what was going on and never felt uncomfortable. Do your research and remember we are here for any questions. That is how I found most of my answers....by asking other patients. Dr. Rod's website is www.joseband.com and he also has a yahoo group as do most of these doctors and their patients.

Good luck in your journey!

Originally posted by lisae

Denise,

I was banded in Monterrey by Dr. Rumbaut. He's one of the Inamed trainer surgeons and has placed close to 2000 bands. He also has the band himself and has lost 100 pounds. I paid $10,000 in two checks, as mentioned before. I paid the doc $7500 and the hospital $2500. I had a wonderful experience and am very happy.

Check out my good friend Lori's website. We met in Monterrey and she has put together a wonderful site with pictures of the hotel/hospital, doc and everything. You'll even find me in her pics! Good luck to you!

http://www.cascadeaccess.com/~kbauer/Lori/lorilapband.html

Lisa (Las Vegas, NV)

Dr. Rumbaut 7-8-03

Fill 8-12-03

Loser of 40 pounds and counting!

~~~~~

What she said. Only he's even better than that.

Sue

I was banded in Monterrey Mexico by Dr. Zapata, July 2006, I was very pleased with this kind, compassionate doctor and his associates. I am very happy with my band.

Lucy

feel free to email me

Welcome Denny

Best of luck in your investigations...we look forward to seeing your progress on LBT..

:)