Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Sergio Verboonen in Tijuana,Mexico

Guest fairyalison77

Guest fairyalison77

Hi!!! My name is Alison and I´m new to the group. I´ve gone a little bit crazy posting messages because since I don´t know anyone I hope that somebody can read them .

I had my surgery with a great doctor!!! dr. verboonen and his staff are great. I got the MIDBAND about 7 weeks ago and I´ve lost almost 20 pounds!!!!.. The advice from the nutritionist has really helped me with the dieting tips to complement the procedure. If anybody has some question about dr. verboonen please feel free to ask or visit his webpage

www.obesitygoodbye.com

I really recommend him, he´s very qualified and they took very good care of me. I even got to do some siteseeing and a little bit of shopping!!!! :cool:

Hello ... I jusy called Dr. Sergio's office today! I had a great conversation with Sandy. I was worried, however about going to Mexico. My sister and boyfriend, as well as my best friend are not happy with my choice of doctors. I, personally like the professionalism and quickness of what my needs are. But, I do wonder, is it just as clean and professional as US&Swedih hospitals? I am confident in the doctors experience as well. Just wodered has anyone else been "banded" in Mexico by this doctor, or any dr. down there? Experiences?

I am so excited ... If all turns out I will go the first week in November!!!

Because I have the choice of 3 different bands, what made you deceide on the mid-band? I hear the Swedish one is very popular. So far, I'm sticking to the Lapband, because it's USA

FDA approved. I know we Americans are "behind" a bit, but I canot find info on the others.:cool:

Sue ...

I read this when I first put his name in a search engine! I didn't want to say anything, because as you said, it has nothing to do with his work. I did enquire about the case when I called this am. Sandy did acknoweledge it, and as I read last night it was an insurance case. One ... what do you think?:cry

Should this have any bearing on surgery?

From Las Vegas, an airline named Aviacsa (not Avianca) used to fly to Monterrey, Mexico, where several experienced LapBand doctors practice. Does it still? it's kind of a Mexican Jet Blue. I had my surgery there with Rumbaut and could not be more delighted.

In Tijuana, I'd check out Dr. Kuri's new facility (and probably new prices.)

There are several very experienced doctors in Europe, as well.

Meanwhile, Johnson & Johnson are in clinical trials with the Swedish Band now. No reason it shouldn't pass with flying colors. Then more US doctors will learn how to deal with it.

Sue

Thanks Sue ...

I don't know about that airline, I'm from Cali originally. But, I'll check it out. Dr. Sergio does more Swedish bands, by request. They are thinner. I just don't want to be too far away and if something happens, I don't want a doctor saying "What kind of band is this?" I was even thinking f going to Austria. So far, I feel comfortable with Dr. V. But, I will check out the others. For 8,500, the airfare and 5-star hotel is included as well as a trip for another person to come with you.:cool: ... Again, thanks!

Well, I'll tell ya. My granddad was a cop, so I was raised as a skeptic. I would not be sending money in advance to anyone who I knew was less than honest.

I took my money with me when I went to see Rumbaut. And he had no problem not receiving it in advance. (He just didn't want me showing up with a personal check, but I don't blame him for that.) Ask on the Yahoo boards, too. But since you asked me, if I had the choice of a doctor who I at least thought was honest and a doctor who had been convicted of fraud, I'd not choose the convicted felon.

Sue

Good point. When I ask, it was a patient that had him bill the insurance company after the sugery. I guess they paid or overpaid ... all in all it's what he pleaded. I would like to ask him personally, though. The reason for the 1,000.00 upfront, is for the flight/hotel/transportation/lab costs.

I'll let you know what I deciede.:cool:

Hi Alison,

My name is Mary. I was banned by dr. verboonen. I also read the "guilty plea" letter. I take it with a grain of salt & I'll tell you why.

1- My father is a doctor and I hear of other doctors who bill insurance companies without mercy all the time. It is out of control in So. California. This could also be a misunderstanding between the patient paying the doctor and asking him to also bill insurance and then deciding that they don't want their insurance to know so the patient claims to have never been seen by the doctor.

2- Since I was banded by Dr. verboonen on Aug 7th. I too was concerned about the cleanliness and safety of doing the procedure in Mexico. So I went down there with my parents.

I was nervous at first because obviously their location is not like clinics in Beverly Hills but it wasn't bad either. The hospital was very professional, the staff was very friendly and caring.

In short I had such a good experience that I am planning on taking both my sisters and my causin to Dr. Verboonen.

He is really nice and knows what he is doing.

Let me know if you have any questions. Make sure to check the doctors thoroughly. When I did research I found a doctor in Monterey who claimed to have attended Harvard Medical School and also claimed to train other doctors for Johnson & Johnson. Neither one was true because I called both the University and the Johnson & Johnson and no one had heard of him!!!

By the way I got the Midband. With my research I found it to be the best. The US band had the higest rate of corrosion. So do your research and decide.

Good Luck

Mary

Hello,

Is there any way I can e-mail you? I have some questions about Dr. Verboone in Mexico. Where will you go if he is convicted in Decembe. I hear a lot of his patients are now going to Dr. Kuri for fills, because of this case. Please let me know how to contact you.

Thank you:cool:

Originally posted by GeezerSue

Well, I'll tell ya. My granddad was a cop, so I was raised as a skeptic. I would not be sending money in advance to anyone who I knew was less than honest.

I took my money with me when I went to see Rumbaut. And he had no problem not receiving it in advance. (He just didn't want me showing up with a personal check, but I don't blame him for that.) Ask on the Yahoo boards, too. But since you asked me, if I had the choice of a doctor who I at least thought was honest and a doctor who had been convicted of fraud, I'd not choose the convicted felon.

Sue

you sound much too harsh :cool: , health insurance recoding is done more then you think. I am not condoning it, but please... all you know is what you have read in that article...

No need to sound to harsh aight :D

I had surgery with Dr verboonen, he didn't steal my deposit or cause me any harm, he doesn't hang out with other "convicted felons" and I know this first hand. I am also not too worried about getting fills, because there is always Dr Ponce de leon. I knew about this insurance issue before I got banded, but I didn't think to much of it, and if I had to do it again I would still choose Dr verboonen.

I guess what I am trying to say is, we all love our doctor the best. If you want try to bring out the best of your experiences with your doctor, that will convince more people that your doctor is great then trying to put other peoples doctors down. :D

Like I said...

"Okay, somebody is probably going to get mad at me for posting this link. AND, I agree it has nothing to do with how well he performs surgery, but apparently he did plead guilty to health care fraud...'

I didn't say he wasn't a good surgeon; I did said he was a convicted felon. :rolleyes If I were inquiring about a surgeon who had a criminal record, I sure hope someone would mention it and let me make my decision based on all the information I could gather. I think I'm grown up enough to sort through it all, and I think anyone who asks probably is, too.

It was not my goal to convince people that my doctor is great. I've met four Mexican LapBand surgeons, and recommend three of them to others, plus one doctor whom I haven't met but who also has an excellent reputation. If verboonen has nothing but happy patients, that speaks highly of him as a surgeon. (But I still wouldn't be sending any substantial amount of money in advance. Not because I wouldn't trust him because of his convinction, but because, like I said, I'm a skeptic...and I don't trust many people, especially if they're asking for money!)

Harshly :rambo yours,

Sue

Originally posted by GeezerSue

Like I said...

"Okay, somebody is probably going to get mad at me for posting this link. AND, I agree it has nothing to do with how well he performs surgery, but apparently he did plead guilty to health care fraud...'

I didn't say he wasn't a good surgeon; I did said he was a convicted felon. :rolleyes If I were inquiring about a surgeon who had a criminal record, I sure hope someone would mention it and let me make my decision based on all the information I could gather. I think I'm grown up enough to sort through it all, and I think anyone who asks probably is, too.

It was not my goal to convince people that my doctor is great. I've met four Mexican LapBand surgeons, and recommend three of them to others, plus one doctor whom I haven't met but who also has an excellent reputation. If verboonen has nothing but happy patients, that speaks highly of him as a surgeon. (But I still wouldn't be sending any substantial amount of money in advance. Not because I wouldn't trust him because of his convinction, but because, like I said, I'm a skeptic...and I don't trust many people, especially if they're asking for money!)

Harshly :rambo yours,

Sue

lol the only part I find harsh is calling my docter a convicted felon. But I guess I don't have much ground to debate that part with you...

And since I misunderstood your intentions I just offer you my sincere apology.