Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Self-Fill are you doing this?

Are you self-filling?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Are you self-filling?

• Yes, I am bring me a needle.
    • No way! That is why I have a doctor.
    • I am thinking about it.

I only hope the people who are self filling are kidding; esp. the ones using something other than saline. I've been a critical care nurse for 30 yrs and have been banded over 2 yrs. The risks are beyond your wildest imagination when you start injecting yourself.:redface:

This thread is useless. if your doing this your a fool. Just my opinion. I am frustrated every time I see this one come to the front of the line.

I roll on the floor laughing again everytime I see it. Then I think, "I guess that's why there is directions on a can of corn. Open before heating." Some people??????

If it were at all serious, it would be frustrating. But even the phrasing of the poll makes it evident it's completely tongue-in-cheek. And sometimes, funny is a good thing.

I personally wouldn't risk it unless I was a nurse. Mistakes can be very costly.

wow, I am so impressed with your numbers, how did u lose so fast. why a new band? i ask because i was just told today my band has slipped and i may need surgery and i wonder if they use a new band and if it works as well as the first one.

This thread is useless. if your doing this your a fool. Just my opinion. I am frustrated every time I see this one come to the front of the line.

scott, I have been banded since june of 08' and I was told today i have a slipped band and will need surgery, i too was unable to drink Water. and had terrible reflux. how was the second surgery and is it as succesful as the first? any reply is appreciated... thanx vicki

Wow, West Africa! What an amazing opportunity. Let's hope you will not need to do an emergency unfill. I hope you have a safe trip. :cursing:

I have taken 3 trips to Africa since this post. I carry the kit with me every time and thankfully have not had a need for it. I would NOT use it myself. I would go to a Dr or hospital there. The problem is that they would not have a clue about a lapband and they would not have the correct needle, hence the need for me to take my own. My Dr. told me to tell them to access it like a mediport. I'm sure he would not want me to do it myself unless I was dying and he does encourage me to get an unfill each time I go, but I don't want to go through the trouble of getting back to where I need to be and more importantly, I am self pay and cannot afford the cost of an unfill and then a couple fills.

This is a funny thread and it seems it will never die. Seriously, I do believe there are some people who do attempt their own fills, but these are very few I'm sure!!!!

Taking a kit with you is an awesome idea. I will ask my doctor about that if I ever travel out of the country. Fortunately, my most frequent travel destination is Houston--where finding a doctor well-versed in band adjustment is super-easy.

Denise, you are KILLING me! I mean, really, have a heart, I'm only on my second day post-op and it just HURTS to laugh that much:lol:

Seriously, though, I worked in medicine for years, and I don't consider myself squeamish per se, but I wouldn't attempt a self-fill, no way. There are just too many vital organs in that area (like my liver!), and with my luck, I'd miss that damn port...I would have to have a target tattoed over the site to have any chance at all.

Best, Christine

I roll on the floor laughing again everytime I see it. Then I think, "I guess that's why there is directions on a can of corn. Open before heating." Some people??????

Too funny! Thanks everyone for injecting levity into a subject that is often wrought with fear.

I have self filled and unfilled myself, and as well have filled and unfilled my band buddy.

My dr. gave me a handful of huber needles for emergency use. The first time, it was an afternoon fill by the dr., and during the night I closed right up. My stomach must have swelled and I awoke literally choking, I couldn't breath and really thought for a minute that I was going to die. What had happened was all my stomach mucous couldn't go down because of the restriction, so it came up and into my trachea, making me unable to breathe. Very scary.

After much heaving I managed to get some breath and decided to unfill right then and there. (My fill dr. was several hours trip away on the mainland so not quick and easy to get to.)

It's not rocket science. Find the port and sterilise. I think the biggest risk is not infection if you're careful but possibly puncturing the tubing. I wouldn't do it if I couldn't find the port easily.

I did my banding buddy in a similar emergency and gave her much needed relief.

I've also had a fill from a dr. inexperienced with bands and he was so out of his comfort zone that I felt better doing it myself. I had to show him where to put it exactly and how to measure the saline. The only thing I didn't do was swab and push the plunger.

wow, I am so impressed with your numbers, how did u lose so fast. why a new band? i ask because i was just told today my band has slipped and i may need surgery and i wonder if they use a new band and if it works as well as the first one.

Thanks.

Actually, I didn't lose fast at all, just average between 1 to 1.5 pounds a week during the early days of banding. I have been banded for more than two years now.

I slipped while in the hospital after giving birth to my daughter. It happened the morning I went home. I was offered pain meds, took that kind for the first time on an empty stomach(maybe it was a darvocet), vomitted miserably and that is all she wrote.

The new band, which is a large size 14cc Allergan Lapband works as well as the original 9cc Johnson and Johnson Realize band. There isnt really a difference other than it took a lot longer to hit the sweet spot in my new band.

However, it is harder to lose the second time around.

I regained a little after the slip but it is extreeemmely slow going to get it off again eventhough it is not too much weight. I think it is harder because I spent almost all of 2009 either without fill or unrestricted, it is more difficult to become as motivated as you originally are at the beginning of banding, and finally, it is harder to lose weight when you have less weight to lose.

My true weight right now is between 145-146 (haven't changed the ticker) and I am losing around 0 to 1 pounds per month. I am OK with this because I am still size 10/Medium and as long as I am not gaining I am OK.

Good luck with everything and I am sorry for your slip.

I have been totally amused by reading through this thread today. The posts where people were irritated were even more amusing than the ones where ppl were purposely being funny. I really loved the reference to Helium. I was picturing myself floating away!! LOL....

Actually I am one who if there was a class on it, I would probably show up and learn to fill myself. My port is near the surface now, and my fill doc says he uses the shortest needle. I give myself insulin so the needle thing is nothing to me. I haven't heard of a class so I guess I will just keep going to my fill guy!! Darn!!! Thanks for the amusing thread!! Hugs to all!!!

I know it seems absurd that anyone would even consider doing this, but I know a Dr. that tried to do her own fill a little while back.... she used the wrong kind of needle and the port wouldn't seal. She had to have a port revision ($7000) to replace it.

So, it DOES happen! LOL