Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Will I need someone to take care of me after surgery?

My mother is going to stay with me while I'm in the hospital, and I'm planning to stay at her house to recover afterwards. However, I'm dreading it. I've recovered at her house for another surgery, and it was terrible. We don't get along and she's a cruel control freak, so if there is any way I can go back to my own house after surgery, I would like to.

Does anyone know how much care I will need afterwards? Will I need someone to stay with me after the first day, or is it okay to stay by myself? Will I need someone to help bathe me, etc? I have friends that can pick up prescriptions for me if needed.

Thanks for your advice.

i would have been fine alone & would have preferred that way - or an extra night in the hospital.

i was banded the same day as my husband, and he had the "worst pain" ever & i had to hear it 24/7. i like my quiet when not feeling so hot / he prefers a lot of attention and i was up and driving the next am for ice pops and prescription fills. if you have friend to help - take them up on it. you would do much better in an environment that your comfortable with & without distractions.

good luck on your surgery!!

I imagine the best person to ask is your surgeon, i think itwould be wise to have some one with you for a few days, if you happen to slip whilst bathing who is going to be there for you in an emergency?, prepare your meals? etc etc

I was banded 9 days ago. My mom stayed at my house for a week.

I have two dogs and that's really what I needed help with. One is very old and demanding, and I didn't feel comfortable taking care of him alone until Tuesday after my surgery. I probably would've been fine by myself, as I could shower and everything on my own. I couldn't bend to tie my shoes for a couple days, so I would suggest slip-on shoes. Also, if you have a pain pump and don't want to pull it out yourself like me, a friend or relative is good to do that.

I just wanted to congatulate you on your amazing transformation! How long did take to lose it and is it difficult to keep it off now? Are you constantly watching what you eat? Thanks for the advice. Cara in KC

I just wanted to congatulate you on your amazing transformation! How long did take to lose it and is it difficult to keep it off now? Are you constantly watching what you eat? Thanks for the advice. Cara in KC

thanks, it took me 10 months to lose about 75lbs. it was very slow in the beginning - but it kicked in around month 6.

i eat pretty healthy & exercise regularly.....i had been maintaining for 5 months, but i had a bit too much fun around the holiday parties, and i need to shed a few.

i found getting back to basics over the wkend has helped a bunch...just needed a nudge to get past the "treats".....

i would have been fine alone & would have preferred that way - or an extra night in the hospital.

i was banded the same day as my husband, and he had the "worst pain" ever & i had to hear it 24/7. i like my quiet when not feeling so hot / he prefers a lot of attention and i was up and driving the next am for ice pops and prescription fills. if you have friend to help - take them up on it. you would do much better in an environment that your comfortable with & without distractions.

good luck on your surgery!!

How was that being banded on the same day as your husband?? My husband and I wanted to, but the Dr. thought it would be better if we had them at different days, so we are going to be 3 weeks apart.

How was that being banded on the same day as your husband?? My husband and I wanted to, but the Dr. thought it would be better if we had them at different days, so we are going to be 3 weeks apart.

it was fine by day 2 - he annoyed the crap out of me, but once i got him loaded up on pain meds he was FINE & so was I. LOL

actually we are very grateful to have gone through every step together - it was a blessing, one knew what the other was going through w/out having to explain it...facial expression and hand gestures were well read..:)

our surgeon still laughs at how competitive we are w/one another....not to discourage you, but DH got to goal w/in 6 months. it took me a LOT longer, and he only needed 3 fills - me i needed 8 for restriction. so comparing one another might not be a good thing - if that at all is possible.

all the best~!

it was fine by day 2 - he annoyed the crap out of me, but once i got him loaded up on pain meds he was FINE & so was I. LOL

actually we are very grateful to have gone through every step together - it was a blessing, one knew what the other was going through w/out having to explain it...facial expression and hand gestures were well read..:wink2:

our surgeon still laughs at how competitive we are w/one another....not to discourage you, but DH got to goal w/in 6 months. it took me a LOT longer, and he only needed 3 fills - me i needed 8 for restriction. so comparing one another might not be a good thing - if that at all is possible.

all the best~!

Hey Luluc, still want all the dish on the band....and how it works for you. You said you needed 8 fills for restriction. I heard if it is to tight that you can't even drink Water, that it feels like it's getting stuck? So you know you need a fill if you are hungry? How many calories do you try to eat a day now and when you first got banded? Do you feel normal or do you feel like you are always on a diet? Sorry to ask so many questions but I don't know anyone that has had it done and have only been to the lab band seminar. Thanks for your help! Cara:blush:

Hey Luluc, still want all the dish on the band....and how it works for you. You said you needed 8 fills for restriction. I heard if it is to tight that you can't even drink Water, that it feels like it's getting stuck? So you know you need a fill if you are hungry? How many calories do you try to eat a day now and when you first got banded? Do you feel normal or do you feel like you are always on a diet? Sorry to ask so many questions but I don't know anyone that has had it done and have only been to the lab band seminar. Thanks for your help! Cara:blush:

cara - i view restriction in eating less & it sustaining me for longer periods of time. i never got to a point that i couldn't eat what i wanted to, let alone have trouble drinking Water.< /p>

it just took me longer, which my surgeon thought would be my case (having a low BMI).

in the beginning i ate between 800-1000 calories per day. once i was working out with a trainer i bumped that up to 1100-1200 per day and that's where i'm at right now.... give or take.

i don't feel like i'm on a diet - i eat pretty much what i want; the band helped curb my savory carb addiction and eating healthy is the norm. that's not to say i don't have wine or treats every now and then....reason i don't view it so much as a diet rather lifestyle change.

tink - hubby and i did grow closer going thru the process together. we both realize i would have been difficult if only one of us did it. good luck to you both!!

I am single, so there was no one to take care of me. I did have my brother take me home from the hospital, but after that I was on my own and I did great. I planned ahead of time.

1. I cleaned house ahead of time before surgery
  2. I picked up my RX pain meds the day before surgery (I asked the doctor to call them in ahead of time)
  3. I purchased all my liquid drinks ahead of time
  4. I purchased liquid Tylenol & GasX ahead of time
  5. When I needed more supplies I ordered them at Safeway.com and had them delivery (I received free delivery)

Basically, I just slept, drank, and walked. My fluids were by my bed, I have exclusive remote control rights, and I fluffed my own pillows. Everything was great. On day 7-post-op, I was driving and shopping.

Good luck!

I spent the night in the hospital, but went home the next day.

I have horses and a dog kennel and they still had to eat.

Was tired and sore but up and around right from the beginning. I prefer to be alone when not feeling good.

Just take things easy and take your pain meds!!!!

CAHCHA