Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Alcohol post op?

Hi everyone

I was only banded 2 weeks ago and about to move from liquid to pureed foods but with christmas and new year coming up I was just wondering when it is ok to have a couple of glasses of alcohol. The only thing in my notes from my dietician is that alcohol is ok in small quantities but it doesn't say when.

Thanks

There would be no harm in the alcohol as long as it isn't too fizzy and you don't have too much of it. Fizziness might and make you burp too much irritate your band site so just be careful.

Just remember as I found out the hard way, that as you lose weight your tolerance to alcohol reduces, had a very messy night after not much to eat all day and a few glasses of wine. There was no problem, but I couldnt believe what a cheap drunk I was LOL

Ok, this is gonna sound strange, but I can actually drink more alcohol now than I could before. I can handle it better. I just can't eat and drink at the same time because that makes me feeling violently ill.

Well, I decided on post-op day 1 that white wine is a clear liquid : ) and so had 1/2 glass each evening (2oz) which I personally think was good for my recovery. :)

the only thing to remember that some have empty calories. but for new years im just going to have one drink for a treat. i really like your idea!!!!

take care all

sus

Well, I decided on post-op day 1 that white wine is a clear liquid : ) and so had 1/2 glass each evening (2oz) which I personally think was good for my recovery. :wink:

Susan, you are a woman after my own heart!

I had my first post-op drink when I went on solids. I try to just stick with wine (lower calories), but occassionally have a martini (I love to get creative with them). The amazing thing is, although many bandsters say they feel the effects of alchohol quicker after being banded, I have noticed just the oposite. I usually have a glass or two several times a week. Since I don't eat sweets, and do watch calories, I figure I'm ok, as long as I keep it in moderation.

Joan

Hi Guys

I never drink at home, for me drinking is a social activity and I love it! I have told my surgeon this, and I have no intention of giving it up completely or saving myself until new years.

I was banded 26 days ago and in the past week I have had four social functions and have consumed 2 to 3 glasses of wine at each. This is obviously the exception, not the rule, as I won't be drinking THAT MUCH on a weekly basis - but it certainly hasn't killed me.

Despite what I drank, I still lost 0.6kg (1.3lbs) as I was always watching what I ate and still exercising.

Lapband is a life style, not a life sentence - you have to find a balance and ensure you're still doing things you enjoy in moderation.