Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Count calories or carbs?

My doctor says - Atkins only on lapband, but I am so tight I cannot eat the high Protein foods - I can usually eat very tiny (1/2 cup) of mostly high carb foods. He says I will just gain weight that way - how can I be eating such small amounts of food and still be gaining???

I have been told a calorie is a calorie whether it is comes from Protein or a carb.

Carbs tend to have more calories. And they usually involve some type of processed sugar. Not all carbs are like this, such as fruit and those found in veggies. Processed carbs tend to not satisfy your hunger, do not fill you up, and leave you more hungry than before.

Track your calories. There are free web sites out there that track how many calories, carbs, and Protein your consumed food items contain. It is a real eye opener.

I've been such a bad girl lately i cannot begin to advise anyone but calories are calories whatever they come from... only thing i can honestly say is that from my own experiences b4 the band low carb was better for weight loss if u can handle the withdrawals!

Ah, sheesh. Your doctor is bending the truth. A calorie is a calorie is a calorie, no matter where it comes from. If you truly eat 3 teeny serves of carb food a day you will lose weight exactly the same as if you eat three teeny serves of Protein. You will be taking in way less calories than your body needs.

Now - if you continually drip feed yourself easy carbs fifteen times a day you will probably not lose.

It sounds like you are too tight though - if you cant get solid Proteins down, long term you're not going to do too well with a band. Most people tend to start eating junk like Cookies and ice cream simply to get some energy in.

Atkins only with the band? Hmmm. We dont do that in Australia. The band is a lifestyle tool not a device to keep you on a miserable diet forever more.

Sounds like you might be a tad too tight. I'm surprised your doctor didn't notice that. You should be able to eat meat and Proteins just as well as carbs - just not nearly as much as you used to.

But I agree with others above that its all calories in and calories out. Your body cannot process certain amounts of anything in one sitting however, i.e. more than 25g Protein or 500mg of Calcium, etc.

I'm taking a course in Nutrition in a coming semester - maybe next one. It will help alot I'm sure with what I'm trying to achieve - and that is building a more healthy body.

Your doctor doesnt sound sensible. My nutritonist and doctor dont want us doing Atkins at all. Its not healthy. and once you start eating carbs, you will put all that weight back on. You need to unfill a little, so you can eat healthy foods, like vegetables, Protein, and some whole grain carbs. Good luck

You should be able to eat "anything" in small amounts and still lose weight! Just keep the calories low (like 1200 or under) and you will be fine!

I'm losing and I eat Pasta every day.

Don't count either. If you are tight, just make HEALTHY food decisions and eat till you are satisfied. The joy of the band is if you work it and make good choices and are at good restriction, you don't need to count...

I agree, it sounds like you are too tight. I would see about getting an unfill. It is important to get in your Protein, but strict Atkins can make you crave carbs! IMHO you should have a healthy balance of nutrients.

My nutritionist has me on 1100-1200 calories a day and 80 grams of Protein. I definitely have to eat protein first, to make sure I am getting it all in.

I hope you can find a good balance!

I was told that you need to keep the Protein levels higher than the carb levels to keep your hunger controlled. I find that's true. Instead of only having high carb foods that go down have you tried the Protein Shakes? They really keep me going during the day...

Low carb works better for me, but definitely not Atkins. That is such an extreme choice.

If you can't eat healthy Proteins, than I agree you need a small unfill.

Getting all your calories from heavily processed carbs may not be the healthiest choice and makes it harder to lose. However, calorie counting can work if you are going to eat the carbs.