Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any one use Dr. Daniel Huacuz-Tijuana?

very interesting here. Looks like Gina is a liar It seems obvious to me Gina has some hidden agenda here.dont you al agree`? I smell the works of a patient co-ordinator amongst us using an alias, who else would know such personal info on another patient. she can say whatever she like to prove me

wrong but it is a waste of breath ive been onthese boards way to long

Wow Fran!!......Banded & Happy, No, I am not a liar...definitely NOT a patient coordinator...I work in the legal field and work over 60 hrs a week for a company in Las Vegas. I hardly have time to write and keep up with this board or much else. I must say my personal time is VERY limited and NOT for sale at ANY price nor do I have the need to make any extra money.

Here's what I know, that for obvious reasons, (the time involved in writing this!), I have not posted, nor did I want to embarrass anyone or sound like I am insensitive about what happened to Fran, before I do, I need to say that I am VERY sorry that Fran went through what she did and as such communicated that to her. I additionally expressed to her how worried I was and how I had her in my prayers for a quick recovery. It was very genuine and still is.

In June when I had decided to get banded I met Cheryl. Cheryl was to go do TJ and get banded on the same day with me although she was doing it at The Molding Clinic & I at Huacuz Surgical Center. We spoke many times and I can tell you that I continue to speak to her on a regular basis, many times a week and she has become a dear treasured friend of mine. Through the planning stage prior to the surgery, she shared with me that she had met Fran and Caroline and that they too were going to get the surgery on the same day although, at the Molding Clinic, (MC). Cheryl was quite regretful that she wasn’t able to get into Huacuz Surgical Center and that was a total mishap due to telephone tags that she & Dr. Romero had. We hoped that we were going to stay in the same hotel so that we could meet up and be together. At least, that was the plan. There were some problems with her flight and it was cancelled. she called me the morning of. I was leaving and said that she’d be there later and to not worry if I didn’t see her at the airport…. she said that Fran should have already gotten there and to please check on her…that she was going by herself and we should look out for each other. No problem! Off I went to Huacuz Surgical Center. I had my surgery and btw, EVERYTHING was perfect…including the anti-nausea medication that Dr. Huacuz administers in his center, which btw, at $150/per dose, Molding Clinic refuses to give it to their patients. I had the dose every 4 hours for the first day. I never felt nauseous or felt the urge to vomit, not AT ALL. The day following my surgery I knew that Cheryl, Fran & Caroline had already went through the surgery. When Dr. Huacuz came to see me I asked how they were doing. EVERY ONE of them…I asked about Cheryl, Caroline, & Fran. He said that Cheryl was to be banded later that evening and that Fran & Caroline were resting and he was on his way to go see them…. I know that Fran & Cheryl talked quite a bit prior and Cheryl was worried about her being there by herself and being that I spoke Spanish, Cheryl wanted to make sure that we all band together and have the safety of knowing that one of us would have no problem communicating with the staff. I don’t know if Fran recalls that, I do & I was happy to do so for my new friend, Cheryl and any of her friends.

Well, another day passed and Dr. Huacuz said that Fran & Cheryl were now at the hotel, a different one that the one I was at. Andres would not allow MC’s patients to be at the same hotel where Huacuz Surgical Center patients were staying. They were at The Emporium. He was quite upset about this and I was too. It seemed unfair that they kept us separated. I talked about it again with Dr. Romero & Dr. Huacuz and they BOTH told me how not even them being Doctors could be alone with MC’s patients…they were both visibly bothered by this and I detected that there was some discontent with MC and the administration thereof. I contemplated taking a taxi to The Emporium to make sure that they were okay and to this day I REGRET that I did not!!!!!!!!! I can’t tell you how much I beat myself up over that!!!! I know I could have done something, what exactly I don’t know. But I wish I had been there for them. I left Mexico w’/n an hour of that last meeting with Dr. Huacuz & Dr. Romero.

2 days later Cheryl got home…. I talked to her within minutes of getting home and heard the great concern in her voice for Fran. She also told me about how viciously nauseated she was following her surgery and even when she was in the hotel…. she told me how ANGRY Dr. Huacuz was when she had to go back to the hospital and he found out that MC NEVER administered the anti-nausea medication that he had ordered!!!!! Notoriously known for cutting costs where they could! She said that Fran was the same way and was extremely nauseated and lost touch with each other in the hotel. We were BOTH worried and Cheryl was trying to call her for days and could not get in touch with her…no answer on her cell or at home. Fran, maybe you should know that Cheryl & I talked for days, many times a day and were VERY concerned about your well being. I myself, made many calls to Dr. Romero to see if he had any updates about you. All we knew through Melissa was that you may have needed to stay back & get your band removed. I placed another call to Dr. Romero and he talked to Dr. Huacuz….Dr. Huacuz informed us that MC released you to return to U.S.!!!! That’s a whole other story. Just keep in mind that Dr’s do not have the same power in Mexico, as they do here. All the more reason why in Mexico, I would ONLY deal directly with a Dr. and not some patient coordinator or clinic that employs a variety of doctors.

Anyhow, Cheryl continued trying to get a hold of Fran until she received an email from Fran letting her know that her son had found a dr in Florida and was taking her to see him in a couple days. She let Cheryl know that she continued to be ill and nauseated. We both knew that was not good and were anxiously waiting to see how her appointment went with the Dr.. She sent an email saying that she had to have surgery to remove the band.

Fran communicated to Cheryl after her 2nd surgery, now with Dr. Grossbard that her stomach was punctured and that the band that had been inserted by Dr. Huacuz was a discontinued band from 2 years ago and that it had to come out! Boy!!!!! Cheryl was on the phone with me immediately and I was on the phone with Grace, (another prior Huacuz patient), immediately and we were all SCARED and worried. Worried about Fran and scared that we had a “discontinued” Inamed band inside of us as well!!! Fran was so upset that she vowed to Cheryl that she wanted to shut down Dr. Huacuz, the Molding Clinic and that she was going to go to 20/20, Primetime and everyone she could so that they could never practice again.

Let me just say that we ALL could hardly sleep that night…We ALL wondered how do we tell our husbands, who were apprehensive anyways, that we had received a “discontinued” band that potentially may have problems! On 7/17/05, I called Fran and wanted to hear it from her….my call went to her voicemail and I left a very (I thought), heartfelt message.

The following day, 7/18/05, I emailed Inamed inquiring about Dr. Huacuz. Don Mills sent me an email asking me to call him. I did, and he asked me WHY I was inquiring….I told him what we had heard….He LAUGHED! Have you guys talked to him????? He’s a very mellow, quiet man that is quite intelligent and mild mannered!!!! He laughed and said that it was not possible, since there was NEVER a “discontinued” band. He said Inamed made some design changes, but they were never mandated to do them and that he was “SURE” that we did not have “discontinued” bands. His exact words were, “It is not ‘highly’ unlikely, it is ‘just not possible…and ‘NOT’ likely, AT ALL.” He went on to further explain why and I don’t want to drag on about that here but if you want to know email me ginazzz@cox.net . He also said that Dr. Grossbard & Fran had called and that they were trying to raise ‘ruckus’ about Dr. Huacuz and that they don’t understand that Dr.’s are humans and that there is ALWAYS a possibility of problems happening during ANY medical procedure and that he has heard complaints on most, if not all doctors and that the best way to avoid ANYTHING from going wrong during a surgery, is to “NOT do it”. He also said to keep in mind that there is a POSSIBILITY of your body rejecting the band. He ALSO told me, “Dr. Huacuz is a fine doctor. You have nothing to worry about.” So now I’m being told that I am a liar????? He told me this! For him to turn to other people and say that he is NOT a “fine doctor”, well then I have to say, what IS true from this man.

After this conversation I felt a lot better about the band that I had received….I called Grace, who was physically ill over thinking she was duped and feared never having the money to correct this, and I called Cheryl. I let them both know of my conversation with Don. It was a great relief for us and everything has been fine with us…all are losing pounds consistently and we have all received our first fill. Grace & I have both traveled to have Dr. Huacuz do it. While Cheryl tried to get to him, it was not cost effective for her to do so. After I called Grace and Cheryl, I called Fran again. On July 18, 2005, she answered and she was able to talk for a bit as she was back at work that day. She never said that her stomach had been punctured or that we had received “discontinued” bands. What she did say was that Dr. Grossbard felt that the band could have had better placement. Now, we all know that had Fran had Dr. Smith from Any town, USA do her band, Dr. Grossbard would NEVER had made that statement…Never. The fact that Dr. Huacuz is in Mexico makes him wide open to any criticism from anyone because these people think he will never sue. I continued to sincerely wish Fran the best and that was it. We hung up the phone. No need to argue with the poor woman after all she went through…I really just wanted to wish her well. Period. I just found it odd that there was no more mention about the “discontinued” band after I told her that I talked to Inamed. I have not seen her post that anywhere and that is interesting to me.

A couple weeks later Fran had a conversation with Cheryl and told her that “Dr. Grossbard had taken her case to Dr. Ortiz and that Dr. Ortiz felt so bad for what she went through that he was going to perform the surgery for her, free of charge. However she needed to wait for her body to heal for at least 3 months.” Further, Dr. Grossbard is scheduled for a fill in September, and thought that she could come along then. She was ecstatic about this since Ortiz is one of the best, (& most expensive). We were happy for her as well. Now she’s denying she EVER had that arranged or that she EVER said that??????!!!!! I also happened to be reading Ortiz’s book, whereby he mentioned and credited Dr. Grossbard as his patient and as his colleague, and associate. PEOPLE! Wake up! Read Urodoc’s post!!!!! Dr. Huacuz is a well-respected doctor in Mexico and is considered competition. Possibly I am wrong, I’ll never know. I don’t care….If she says that she is getting banded by Ortiz for free and now she says she’s not…I don’t know what to believe, really. I am REALLY sorry for what happened to her and I spent many hours worrying about her well-being….I just don’t know what to believe and somehow this is the ONLY explanation I have. I feel a little bit duped here. I am a nurturing and sensitive person which is why I offered to be there next to her & Cheryl to try and help in any way I could. In fact, I have offered other people people on this site. I would do it for anyone of you, because I am a human, I care about humanity…and frankly just care that we have this surgery and CHANGE our lives. Knowing that every pound that comes off will NEVER return is an incredible feeling that I hope you all feel if you’re not already. It’s quite empowering.

You can chose to believe me or not...I & those that I know & talk to on a daily basis know that I am a person of integrity, morals & truth and in the end, that's what matters. Not emails that you may want to send me, trashing me, accusing me or judging me when you do not know me, such as Shirley. I think I stayed quiet enough….don’t think I’ll have anything more to say on this board.

Ignorance can be bliss, but truth is heaven.

After all the conversation it is obvious that you are all a very close, caring and compassionate group and would not intentionally lead anyone off the beat'in path. I do believe everyone is doing their best to be honest, sincere and helpful - "just the way the forum is designed to be used." There is no doubt there is confusion & doubt for new people searching for answers, but never are there intentions of any creating ill feelings amoung you. After all this said, I conclude that I am very grateful for all that helped me in my search and value all of your input and opinions. I would not have been able to make any final decision without all of you who cared. I plan to use Dr. Huacuz as my surgeon. My final decision was made after hearing from Gina. I felt she was that stepping stone for me.

Thank you to all who took the time to answer questions for me! I feel I have made some new and very valuable friends. I plan to stay on this forum through my journey. If my surgery with Dr. Huacuz goes well, I will be one of his biggest fans and you will all know about it! Can't wait!!!!!

Feeling liberated and envisioning a skinny me!!!

Cindyh

Thanks to all who helped me make an important decision!

You are doing great Fran. Gina, whatever..I just want people to do their homework and search to make their decisions, so when things like this happen they can explain what happened to them and let the others deceide.

Without your information Fran, we would still be in the dark. By the wat, Andres has started his own clinic betancourtmedical.com

After all the conversation it is obvious that you are all a very close, caring and compassionate group and would not intentionally lead anyone off the beat'in path. I do believe everyone is doing their best to be honest, sincere and helpful - "just the way the forum is designed to be used." There is no doubt there is confusion & doubt for new people searching for answers, but never are there intentions of any creating ill feelings amoung you. After all this said, I conclude that I am very grateful for all that helped me in my search and value all of your input and opinions. I would not have been able to make any final decision without all of you who cared. I plan to use Dr. Huacuz as my surgeon. My final decision was made after hearing from Gina. I felt she was that stepping stone for me.

Thank you to all who took the time to answer questions for me! I feel I have made some new and very valuable friends. I plan to stay on this forum through my journey. If my surgery with Dr. Huacuz goes well, I will be one of his biggest fans and you will all know about it! Can't wait!!!!!

Feeling liberated and envisioning a skinny me!!!

Cindyh

Thanks to all who helped me make an important decision!

WELL PUT!! I absolutely agree and am so excited for my surgery on Tuesday with Dr. Huacuz! Now more than ever I have complete trust in him!

Missy

Wish me luck next week!!

Cindyh and Missy4gordon, I wish you both the very best on your surgeries. I would like to set the record straight on some of the statements that was posted by Gina. #1-I did not say that the band was "discontinued" but that the band that is used in Mexico is not the same band and it is not used in the USA (according to Dr. Grossbard and Inamed).. There is almost a $2,000. price difference. #2-Dr. Grossbard is a very fine doctor, a band patient himself, and we are not in collusion to destroy any doctors reputation. #3-Yes Dr. Grossbard felt bad that he had to remove the band (he tried to save it, but could not). He did say that he would like to do something for me, but no one has promised to do any surgery for FREE. Dr. Grossbard and Don Mills said that they would try to have Inamed REPLACE my old band (that Grossbard still has). I guess you could consider that a "free" band, but I did pay for the first one. #4-I believe that Dr. Grossbard is taking some patients to MX in September, but I am not now or have been scheduled to go to Mexico with him. If by chance, Inamed will replace the band, yes I would like to do it again. I have no idea what it will cost to replace it but I expect that it would not cost as much as the first surgery. I don't know any doctor or hospital who would operate totally FREE. I hope this clears up some of this confusion. I am truly sorry for all of these posts, accusations and mistaken facts. Dr. Grossbard is a wonderful person and I have heard good things about Dr. Ortiz. If my experience with Dr. Huacuz has offended anyone, I am sorry. I only wish everyone well. I'm glad all of you are doing so well with your bands. They are a wonderfull tool and I hope that one day I will be able to join the rest of you "bandsters".

Wow...

you ladies have heated it up in here!! I just would like to take this moment to officially "come out of the closet" and say I am "Grace" the person Gina was referring to in her oh so passionate posts (i love ya G). But its true I was in a panic after hearing what Fran had said about our bands being discontinued and whatever else. I called Don also and he said she was up in the night, the bands werent discontinued or different in anyway. Huge relief. He also added that there did seem to be some vendetta against Dr Huacuz at the time.

I just have one question I guess Ive missed something.. Dr Grossberg was a patient of Dr Ortiz? Or is mentioned in some book that Ortiz wrote as a colleague? THAT in itself should speak volumes or atleast give rise to question regarding hidden agendas.

I feel bad for Fran, I cant even imagine having to go through all that BS seriously. And then to be used as a ploy agh I cant even imagine.. I would imagine I would feel very angry, confused and used. Not to mention that shes got to start all over again while everyone else is losing the weight and having their lives start anew she's got to have surgery again. If she choses to have it again. Wow.. WOW.

Im not offended by opinions, everyones got them like something else we all share. Sometimes we've got to realize that just like that other thing we share, sometimes they stink and should be kept to ourselves..

Im here for support and to give support. If youve got it, give it if you need it let me know and Ill do my best for ya!

keep the peace ladies..

g

This is a post that is a long time in coming. I will attempt to clarify some issues that affect all of us as bandsters.

My name is Lee Grossbard and I was banded by Dr. Ariel Ortiz and Dr. Juan Antonio Lopez in TJ almost three years ago, 10/18/02. I lost my requisite 105 lbs in about 10 months and have never regretted my Band or where I went for when I did. I am also one of the busiest LapBand surgeons in the US and proctor other surgeons here in the US and worldwide. This was set up by the FDA and INAMED, the maker of the LapBand, as a way to ensure quality in the US. Unfortunately, this has no bearing in Mexico. When I chose to go to Mexico three yaers ago, it wsas after looking at other surgeons in Florida and deciding based upon quality of the surgeons, and not price, that I made my decision.

About one and a half months ago a patient came to see me in extremous. That is, she was sevely dehydrated and almost in a near deadly position. This can happen to any of us undergoing surgery. We are morbidly obese and the term morbid means deadly. She was taken to an operating room where she was found to have a poorly placed or repositioned Band that had been placed on 7/4/05 at the Molding Clinic in TJ, about 11 days earlier. Unfortunately, her stomach was partially compromised; it it was decided to remove the Band and consider a new Band in the future. It should also be pointed out that I had placed a Band on her son 7 months earlier. She did well post-operatively and went home minus her Band. During her operation we found a US port, unusual in Mexico since normally they would use the international port. I have yet to get an explanation for this. I called the Clinic and never was able to talk with Dr. Huacuz. Instead, 2 days later I spoke with the owner of the clinic Andres Betancourt. It should be noted that this cannot happen in the US where clinics must be owned by physicians and not businessmen.

Many American choose to go to Mexico for their Bands for various reasons. Unfortunately, price seems to be the primary reason, and this proves to be detrimental to some. It certainly was in this case. This patient had an upper GI swallow with barium while at the clinic. She never was able to see this nor speak with her surgeon from that point forward. This x-ray showed a complete obstruction with the Band in a place it should not be. My guess is that the surgeon never saw this x-ray or he would have immediately re-operated on this patient. Some Americans choose to go to Mexico because they do not meet American (FDA) criteria for a Band. In fact, I go to Cancun twice a year to operate on these patients, where the FDA has no jurisdiction. The biggest problem facing Americans who go to Mexico for Band surgery is finding competant American surgeons who are fully trained and certified when they get back. Unfortunately, because of the litigious society that we live in, most malpractice carriers do not allow us to fill Mexican patients. If you go to surgeon, even in Mexico, and try to get the lowest price, you may get what you pay for. There have been instances of a bait and switch between types of Bands, no band at all, etc. The boards are filled with these horror stories. I do not need to restate them here. What does need to be stated is that not all Mexican surgeons are reputable and that also might be true in the US. Furthermore, sosme Mexican surgeons work at clinics that they have no say in, that is, a business person makes the rules and literally can be making a clinical decision in your care. There are many reputable surgeon, who do great work, in Mexico, but be careful. The actual cost of going to Mexico, after a legal deduction in the US, may not be much lower than when the patient has surgery in the US.

That having been said, the patient in question has done well. It is my understanding that the surgeon has repayed her and the company is trying to get her a free Band through their Mexican distributor. We will be happy to place this Band in the US or at the least, we will help her get this done in Mexico.

My e-mail address is here and I welcome any questions through the boards or directly.

Lee Grossbard

I saw a news report on this doctor out of Phoenix and he was not an INAMED certified surgeon from my understanding... he also uses a clinic for the surgery. I would not risk my life with a doctor like that... consider my doctor, Dr. Joya, he is only $8000 and includes air to a real hospital in Puerto Vallarta. Dont risk it... go somewhere safe.

Jaxson lee

thanks for the clarification dr. grossbard and you are and ehlp for this patient. i hear great things about you and if you were banded and trained by ortiz then it explains why you are such a caring doctor and care about other doctors patients well being. ortiz is the same way and will help anyone in need.

You must be very careful with what you read from this doctor also he is almost as bad as Huacuz! His interest is promoting his services in Mexico and works directly with Dr. Ortiz. Just dont believe everything you read from this doctor... he is self promoting and only interested in making money from people on this forum. BEWARE of him and beware of HUACUZ.

Alot of doctors in the U.S are associates of Dr. Ortiz and work with him in helping Ortiz patients get aftercare other then going back to Tj..( he has proctored many U.S. docs) I do not see that as a bad thing. T

No this doctor actually performs surgeries IN Mexico WITH Dr. Ortiz in Cancun! He is fishing for patients and is not reputable, Do a google search on this nonreputable doctor! His interests are about as pure as his pocketbook! BEWARE of him and BEWARE of anyone associated with him!

I had my surgery with Dr. Huacuz 2 days ago. I have complete trust that he did a fine job. It was not in a clinic as stated in a previous post, it was in a small hospital. When we got there a baby had just been born and we were watching the new dad take video of his new baby in the nursery. There are other doctors there other than Huacuz. I have had no nausea or vomiting, the only thing is that I am very tired because it is hard to find a comfortable position to sleep in a hotel. I am a bit sore and there is some pain that comes and goes, I think it could be the gas they put in? He gave me all the operative reports and a card with my Inamed band serial number, I watched him open the box and take out the card and we took some pictures. (And no, I don't believe that he "switched" the band and surgery) My experience has been good and I would recommend him for others as well, and I feel bad that there are such negative comments about him. He was extremely sweet and caring. I was terrified but he instantly put me at ease. So far I have heard one bad experience first hand, the rest is rumor, possibly trying to damage his reputation and put the fear in anyone that is considering him, for whatever reason. So basically I just want to let people know that I am fine, Dr. Huacuz is great and I could care less about what anybody has to say about him now because I know first hand.

Thanks for listening.

Missy

North Dakota

banded 8/30/05

Dr. Huacuz, TJ

**Can't wait to get home!!**