Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any February 2009 Bansters?

Welcome on board ladies!

It's going to be a bumpy ride but in the end worth it.

I wanted to know about the liver pills....

I'm taking Actos which is a diabetic pill but has been shown to take the fat from the liver and move it to the outside of it. I've been on it for two years and it has worked for me. I'm hoping that eating right after the surgery and exercising more will help in stopping the pills.< /span>

They are not cheap.

NEWKID... my dr. is Dr. Griffin... wonderful bedside mannors. He is also very thorough in explaining everything. He takes his time and dosen't rush you in and out like cattle. His office staff are very nice as well. I highly reccomend him.

My surgery is scheduled for Thursday, Feb. 26, and like those before me I am excited and a little scared. I fluctuate daily--sometimes hourly--between I CAN DO THIS and I DON'T KNOW IF I CAN DO THIS!

It's great to know there are thousands of others out there just like me. It's also helpful to me to read about the struggles and triumphs of others who've gone before me. Thanks for sharing!

I have my surgery on Monday in Niles, MI. I am on my full liquids to day and Clear Liquids tomorrow with the delightful bowl prep. What a great way to watch the Super bowl right!

I am not really nervous about my surgery. I am nervous about following the rules aftewards. I don't have the connection between my stomach and my brain and I am afraid I will not stop when I should and end up vomiting.... which is a big NO NO! I have taken 3-4 weeks off work to heal and mostly to get my head on straight.

Hi Ann, My name is Nancy. I live in Allentown. I was banded 12/22/08. My daughter lives in Downingtown and is restarting her 6 month journey an hopes to be banded this fall. It's the greatest gift I have ever given myself. I had minimal pain and was back to work as a nurse 1 week post-op. Take care and good luck!!

I'm getting my band on February 18 at Cleveland Clinic in S. Fla. Dr. Raul Rosenthal is doing it. I will also have a liver biopsy at the same time because I have liver disease. Years ago when banding first came out, I asked my Gastro about having the procedure and they said NO...now, when I went for my annual I asked again and BOTH of my gastro's were in agreement that I go for it...I was so surprised. Had to go for a lot of pre-op testing but I know it will be worth it. Now I'm hoping that the 2 week liquid diet shrinks my liver so my procedure will go easy. Good luck, February Bandsters:wink:

I am so glad I found you guys!!! I have been searching for a group to connect to- can we make oursleves inot one? I am MArty, 44 yo, live in NH and am having my band on feb 17th. I vasilate from being SO excited and reading scary things here that make me really scared- my dr. told me the surgery would be like gallbaldder removal which I have already had and it was a walk in the park -but the stories on here...yikes! and it is hard to not feel like this is my "last time ever eating.."blah blah blah- I am wrsteling with what to tell my 7 and 5 year old and who in my world really needs to know other than family and closest friends etc. and I have heard mixed advice about howlong to do liquids etc. I am a positive and optomistic person usually but today I am feeling a bit overwhelmed and scared- thanks for listening!

Hi Marty and all,

I feel the same way you do...scared that I won't be able to stick with it and excited that its finally happening. I think the scared part is fear of failure as with other 'diets' and attempts at weight loss. With the band, we will have more freedom to 'cheat' than with the GB or sleeve, and that is also the scary part for me...I am PETRIFIED that I will fail and am trying desperately to be VERY POSITIVE about this journey which I will call the rest of my life. At 280 lbs. and only 5'3"...there's not much I have energy for these days. Its hard to carry around an extra person wherever I go and my back lets me know it every waking moment. I'M READY for February 18th.

Since you will go 1 day before me, I will look forward to us exchanging stories and I would be happy to buddy up with you.

I am actually being banded on the 13th, so I too am excited...a bit bummed to be spending V-day laid up, but that is fine, my hubby is totally excited, and says all Valentine's Days no matter how I am feeling or what I am going through are worth him being by my side :(

Wow it is February and in one month we will be on our journey. Some of you have already been banded and we are hoping to hear from you. This group will be a major support to me on this journey. :angry: I have given it lots of thought. Today I had an echo and a stress test and the techs have had a few patients that have had it done and they do well - moving better, no medications, etc. i hear the concerns about the diet and I too am concerned but if I am not so hungry I think I can do better. At least that is my focus. Also if I can sleep better without the extra weight I will definitely be in control.

All the best. Jane

Hey, My big day is February 19th as well. Can we keep in touch and compare our experiences? It would be great to have someone to talk to going through the same stages!

Hello All, I had my surgery yesterday at about 9:30. I was released today and am feeling good. My main complaint is the pain in port site. I don' even feel the other incisions. I had my last pain shot at 10 pm and have managed with just tylenol since then. I am very tired, but do not sleep well in my back. I was on Protein Shakes for a week before surgery and lost a litle over 12 pounds. Yeah

I was banded on Monday 2/2. Try putting an ice pack on the port site. It really does help. That is also where I have the most discomfort. It is really difficult to get the fluids in that I need- my taste buds don't seem to be working and nothing that tasted good in the way of liquids is tasting very good now. I am walking my mile on the treadmill- that has helped a lot with the gas pains. :) BTW- how do you add the ticker??

Edited by ferrismom2

I DID IT!! I am banded....feeling comfortable...little gas..but nothing unbearable...to those getting theirs this month...good luck...it will be a piece of cake...:)