Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello All...especially those from DFW

Hello everyone! I can't believe I have finally registered as an actual user on this site. I have been browsing this site for a little over a year and have found this site very helpful.

This time last year, I was in the process of trying to get my insurance to approve low and behold I was denied because of my low BMI. I have just received funds from a settlement and am ready to go ahead and have my surgery done ASAP.

I previously thought about having the surgery in Mexico but after reading several posts felt like the aftercare will be an inconvenience. Especially when looking at the trying to find a fill doctor, thinking what if something goes wrong and the like. And decided it may be best for me to stay in Dallas and cough up a couple more thousand dollars just to be safe.

I am considering TLC Edge Dallas or Dr. Barker since they offer an affordable cash price offer and considering I have heard many good things about both.

I only have one question if someone can help me... Although I will be self pay, will I be able to use my private insurance to pay for some of the pre-op tests associated with the surgery? Also, after the initial fills that are included in the plan...will my insurance cover the fills or will I still have to pay the $200 to $250 for fills?

I am a school teacher and would love to get the surgery during Christmas break because I would at least have a week to rest...does anyone know how fast you can get an appointment for surgery? :rolleyes2:

s006.gif to LBT! We are glad you joined.

I was also private pay due to my insurance not covering the band. They would not cover any of my pre-op testing, nor do they cover my fills now. However, your insurance may be different. Never hurts to ask.

Being private pay and not having to jump through the insurance hoops, you can get scheduled pretty quickly. The biggest obstacle you may have with trying to get your surgery done over Christmas break is that most docs require a one to two week pre-op diet. So, between that and the required pre-op tests, I think it might be too late for that. The time from my first appointment with my doctor to my surgery was 17 days.

Let us know how it goes and when you do get scheduled.

hi narose -

i would give your insurance a call and find out what they will or will not cover - there are so many nuances to the different policies.

my insurance also would not cover me because my bmi was too low - however they paid for all pre-op testing & now cover my fills minus my $10 copay.

from the day i was denied by insurance; decided to go self pay - my surgery was w/in 10days...(didn't have pre-op diet).....i would call first thing monday both surgeon and insurance and get all the specifics up front.

good luck to you ...

Thanks for all the helpful information. I hear a lot of people say that u can return to work fast. Maybe i can check n see if i can schedule around MLK holiday because that is a long weekend and the students take exams the following week so there is minimum stress.

By the way keep us posted on your upcoming banding patty n fill me in on all the details

Hello everyone,

I'm a newbie. I'm about to have my first consultation to explore if getting banded is right for me. My BMI is nearly 40. I am very worried about the whole thing and need to hear from people who have actually gone through it. Please share!

Howdy!

I'm from the DFW area as well and had the surguery on 12/12.

For self pay questions give the baylor weight loss center a call, they would be able to answer your questions.

Edited by Michkopra

I am in DFW...had my surgery with Dr. Manuel Castro through TLCEdge. I am dealing exclusively with Dr. Castro now though and not TLCEdge. He is honoring the same deal/price TLCEdge offers, so no loss. He will do my fills after my initial 6 free ones are used up at just the cost of my office visit co-pay by billing my insurance for an office visit. He's a great surgeon and I love him and his office staff.

I was banded on 11/21/2008 and am doing well. I get my first fill this coming Monday (12/22).

All basic pre-op testing other than the psych eval is included in the TLCEdge price (blood work, EKG, urinalysis). Presumably if you need a sleep study or something like that, your insurance should cover it, but msot insurances do not cover a bariatric surgery preop psych eval (and you probably dont' want them to know you are having bariatric surgery).

Feel free to PM me with questions.