Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is anyone else COLD all the time?

I was banded in September and have lost 31 pounds so far. One thing I have noticed lately as the weather is really starting to get cooler is that I am feeling COLD all the time. I am going around my house wrapped up in a blanket all the time which I never used to do. I always used to be hot all the time and even in winter I would walk around in shirtsleeves (OK, I live in California) all the time. But not now. I feel like I am weathering some fierce New England winter and I need to brace myself against the cold when in reality it is in the low 50's outside and the thermostat in the house is set at 66.

It can't be that I have so little padding, because as you can see from my ticker, I am still very, very padded and will be for some time. The only thing I can figure is that when I was overeating my GI track was working overtime and burning like a furnace, but now that I am eating so moderately that furnace is set on low and I am not used to it yet. Hence the blanket wrapped tightly around my shoulders right now.

Yes. When I am losing weight I get cold more easily.

I am almost 4 years out next month and that's one of the side effects I have since I've lost weight I am always freezing, my hands and feet are always really cold and I am the only one complaining every where I go that its cold. The only time I don't complain is if I drink alcaholic drinks then I tend to warm up a bit but other than that I am always freezing and I hate it.

Yes, hands and feet. My husband and mom laugh and say it's about time, since they call me the "ice queen" I have always been warm.

It has been explained to me since the calorie intake has decreased so much since the surgery, your blood sugars and such don't make the "heat" for our bodies we were used to.

made since to me

happy losing!:lol:

Yup, my hands and feet are cold to the touch. Wearing socks and slippers together seems to help my feet but my poor hands! I need my fingers bare to type on the computer for work; maybe I should look into getting some of those fingerless gloves. But I am also cold down to the bone, the kind of cold that you have to be bundled up for a long time before you start to feel warm again. Yesterday I caught a patch of sunshine through the window as I was reading and I kept moving my chair around to stay underneath that patch of sunshine as the sun moved in the sky. It felt so good even through my blanket! But before this I was always chasing the shade.

My dh refered to me as a polar bear in the past, now I am cold all of the time! It is crazy how cold I am. Oh well, at least I can throw on a sweatshirt and warm up at home. My classroom is always about 90+ so no worries there.

I don't think it ever goes away because I am always freezing and I do have a heater under my desk but when I walk away I feel worse, I am thin and cold rather than fat and hot.

i can never get warm unless completely bundled up & a few labs on my lap & feet.

i'ts only 50 in Dallas, TX today and might as well be below zero.

even tho cold; i'll take that over the extra lbs.

wow! I am not alone. Banded in jan 08.11 months out, slept all summer with a quilt on my side of the bed. Ladies, it is NOT just the excess weight coming off, I was told it comes from the blood thinners they give us at surgery, you know to prevent the blood clots. I have noticed when I do my lunch time walk outside (45-55 temp) late in the afternoon I feel this chill go through my arms and hands. Just a little later I can touch my leg and it just radiates heat. I think this cold feeling is a good thing. When we exercise it leeps us warm. If we sit idle we continue to stay cold. It must be a silent motivator. Most nurses have told me it is coming from the blood thinners, so Prepare for the long haul. I was able to donate to red cross blood drive last month for first time and she had to give me a heat pad to warm the tips of my fingers before doing the needle prick. watch your Iron as well took me 3 months to get it up enough to donate with them. Now maybe I can get new blood in my veins and it will keep me warmer. Just a thought....:wink:

The blood thinners given at surgery wear off fairly quickly (about two weeks maximum) and would not affect you 11 months after surgery in the slightest, unless you are on them chronically (every day). Its not the blood thinners making you cold.

I am FREEZING as well. I have alway been cold natured, even when I was fat, but now it's rediculous. I feel like my bones are clattering. I'm begging DH for an electric blanket, but our bed is an antique and full sized and full sized electric blankets don't come with dual control. I think I'm going to buy a heated throw and put it just on my side of the bed.

Glad to hear I'm not alone. I was beginning to wonder what was wrong with me.

Also, at my last doctor appt my heart rate was 43! Doc put me on an overnight monitor and asked me to exercise. I did and he said my heartrate goes up when I exercise so he's not worried bout it just yet, but I was starting to get nervous between that and the slow heart rate. I feel a little better about it now.

Hey LuLuc and BooBooKitty, haven't seen a post from you guys in a while. This is the first day I've been on here in a while. How's it going?

You can buy dual controlled blankets in the UK.... but how about getting a single sized one and just having it on your side of the bed then Hubby won't be affected.