Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Was Banded Yesterday!!!!

I just got home a few hours ago :) My husband and I both got banded yesterday. Just thought I would share it with you all!

Yesterday my appt was at 1pm, and my husband's was right after mine. I got there around 12:20 and they pretty much started with pre-op stuff right at 1pm. I have never had a surgery before, so I was really nervous! I got a shot in my tummy to thin my blood, and an IV obviously, both of which I didn't even feel at all. They wheeled me into the operating room where I lifted myself off of one bed and onto the operating table. They covered me in nice warm blankies. I asked the doctor when he would be putting me out, and that's the last thing I remember!!! I woke up to clouds on the ceiling, hee hee. I felt people pulling sticky things off me and talking to me. In the recovery room I felt a little groggy and my tummy was sore, so they gave me some pain meds. It felt like no time passed at all and I totally new what was going on the whole time. It was around 4:00. After making some embarassing small talk with the nurse, they finally wheeled me into my room where they immediatley gave me Jell-o and chicken broth. I have 5 little incisions, and one bigger one. They are all between my belly button and under my bustline in sort of a "row". The main thing that hurt was the larger incision where the port is. But after pain meds on a scale of 1-10 the pain was only at like a 3. Honestly it just felt like I did tons of crunches the day before!! I had absolutely NO shoulder pain. I slowly sipped broth and Jell-o. Just little sips I could feel the difference with. I got that "full feeling" all of a sudden, then it quickly subsided. My husband went in before I got out, so I didn't see him for about an hour and a half. He came in and was doing just as well as me, although he had more shoulder pain.

They kept us overnight, and we stayed up pretty late. I walked around and it really made me feel better. Standing and walking are really what make it feel better. (It's the getting up part that sucks) I fell asleep around midnight, but woke up at 3am in agonizing pain. Well, that's an exaggeration. My pain scale was at an 8, and I must have shifted in my sleep because all the CO2 floated up to my shoulders and it was really hurting. I got dressed, took a massive walk around the hospital waving my arms around, and when I got back everything was great! But I didn't end up sleeping anymore, and we kept having to request pain meds every 4 hours. Ugh.

We were able to leave at 10am this morning:D Now I am laying down and my meds are wearing off again, so my tummy hurts. No nausea though. Just incision pain. And I can drink just fine. Yay!

Very cool that you were both banded on the same day. Talk a bout a great support system. Congrats to you both.

I think it's great you and your best friend will be able to share your band journey together. I think it will be much easier for both of you. My hubby has never had an issue with weight, but he's been very supportive.

I only had the shoulder pain and as long as I walked it was minimal pain, but it appeared often and for white a while.

Good luck to you both.

Best of Luck to you & your husband... I agree, what an absolutely great support system there!!

The two of you will do awesome.

For your 1st time having surgery, you did awesome.:)

Congratulations to both of you! I was banded on Mon and I'm so relieved its over and its nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be. It's great that you have such a good support system for each other