Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A specific question about fills and such?

My question is this .. Is it normal to not feel like you have any restriction at times ,if you've never had a fill?

I put a call into my surgeons office to see if maybe they could move my fill appt to December instead of January. I'll let you know what they say :wink_smile: .

While I truly believe everyone is different, it appears from what I've read (and from personal experience) that after the intiial swelling post surgery there's very little restriction. So, many people report they are able to eat as much as pre-surgery. That was personal experience as well. However, don't do it - for there are risks. Trust me, you're not alone.

I feel the exact same way. I do not get a fill until Jan. 6th. I am still keeping with the reduced portions, I just feel as though I could eat a lot more. I weight loss has also slowed way down so I am definitely ready for a fill.

I was banded 8/29, have a 14 cc band, have 2 fills totaling 3 cc's (doc's choice, not mine! LOL) and I STILL have no restriction whatsoever. Unfortunately, you name it, I could eat it. My doctor says that's normal. Until they start "tightening the belt" (giving you fills) the band sits loosely around your stomach and most don't feel any restriction.

Yes, it is normal. It is also referred to as 'Bandster hell" because you are not feeling satisfied for hours and can eat more than you know you ought to. This is a time for learning to chew chew chew and take small bites. Many docs do not expect any weight loss until you've been filled and have restriction. Hang in there.. it's a tough time, but it won't last forever. You can try calling and seeing if they will take you sooner for a fill-- but each Dr. has his own fill schedule he will adhere to. Good luck.

Yes, it is normal. It is also referred to as 'Bandster hell" because you are not feeling satisfied for hours and can eat more than you know you ought to. This is a time for learning to chew chew chew and take small bites. Many docs do not expect any weight loss until you've been filled and have restriction. Hang in there.. it's a tough time, but it won't last forever. You can try calling and seeing if they will take you sooner for a fill-- but each Dr. has his own fill schedule he will adhere to. Good luck.

Thank you so much for your response. I've still not heard back from the nurse. I called Monday to see about getting in sooner,so i'm thinking she is waiting to consult with the Doctor.

I've been kind of bummed the last 2 days because I was feeling so in control these last weeks and then all of a sudden this happens. Your reply has helped . Thank you :)!

We were banded on the same day! And we have the same thing going on! LOL! I have been feeling the same way, I can eat larger portions and don't feel as full as I did before. Luckily, I get my first fill next week. I'm not expecting much but my dr. doesn't have a set schedule for fills, I can call whenever I feel I'm eating too much or when I stop losing weight.

Good luck with getting in sooner!