Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

ask a nutritionist - free advice offered

Hi there.. I haven't been banded yet, but trying to learn everything i can now....i am a vegetarian...i hear how important the Proteins are.... I hardly eat them now(you could call me a pastaterian) what can i do after surgery to make sure to get enough without eating meat....thanks for any advice

First tell me what you are willing to eat instead of meat....fish, tofu, ect.... then I can answer your question.

Also, what have you been eating to obtain Protein in your diet now.

I am very confused and puzzled by the term "glycemic index". Could you please explain (define) and how this can help a bandster?

Glycemic index is a ranking of foods based on their immediate effect on blood glucose (blood sugar) levels. If your blood glucose levels become high you run the risk of getting diabetes, which is a common side effect of being obese. Diabetes can affect your body when it comes to healing itself, ect.....not fun.

It can help a bandster because even though you are banded, if you continue to eat these bad foods they can start causing problems and keep you from losing weight while you are banded. Here is a chart to help you figure out what foods are high on the list and lower:

food List Rating

Bakery Products

*Pound cake Low

Danish pastry Medium

Muffin (unsweetened) Medium

Cake , tart Medium

Cake, angel Medium

Croissant Medium

Waffles High

Doughnut High

Soya milk Low

Apple juice Low

Carrot juice Low

pineapple juice Low

Grapefruit juice Low

Orange juice Low

Biscuits

Digestives Medium

Shortbread Medium

Water biscuits Medium

Ryvita Medium

Wafer biscuits High

**Rice cakes High

Breads

Multi grain bread Low

Whole grain Low

Pita bread, white Medium

pizza, cheese Medium

Hamburger bun Medium

Rye-flour bread Medium

Whole meal bread Medium

White bread High

White rolls High

Baguette High

Breakfast Cereals

All-Bran Low

Porridge, non instant Low

Oat bran Medium

Muesli Medium

Mini Wheats (wholemeal) Medium

Shredded Wheat Medium

Golden Grahams High

Puffed wheat High

Weetabix High

Rice Krispies High

Cornflakes High

Cereal Grains

Pearl barley Low

Rye Low

Wheat kernels Low

Rice, instant Low

Rice, parboiled Low

Barley, cracked Low

Rice, brown Medium

Rice, wild Medium

Rice, white Medium

Barley, flakes Medium

Taco Shell Medium

Millet High

Dairy Foods

Yogurt low- fat (sweetened) Low

Milk, chocolate Low

Milk, whole Low

Milk, Fat-free Low

Milk ,skimmed Low

Milk, semi-skimmed Low

*Ice-cream (low- fat) Low

*Ice-cream Medium

Fruits

Cherries Low

Grapefruit Low

Apricots (dried) Low

Apples Low

Pears Low

Plums Low

Peaches Low

Oranges Low

Grapes Low

Kiwi fruit Low

Bananas Low

Fruit cocktail Medium

Mangoes Medium

Apricots Medium

Apricots (tinned in syrup) Medium

Raisins Medium

Pineapple Medium

**Watermelon High

Spaghetti, Protein enriched Low

Fettuccine Low

Vermicelli Low

Spaghetti, whole wheat Low

Ravioli, meat filled Low

Spaghetti, white Low

macaroni Low

Spaghetti, durum wheat Medium

Macaroni cheese Medium

Rice Pasta, brown High

Root Crop

Carrots, cooked Low

Yam Low

Sweet potato Low

Potato, boiled Medium

Potato, new Medium

Potato, tinned Medium

Beetroot Medium

Potato, steamed Medium

Potato, mashed Medium

chips High

Potato, micro waved High

Potato, instant High

**Potato, baked High

Parsnips High

Snack food and Sweets

Peanuts Low

*M&Ms (peanut) Low

*Snickers bar Low

*Chocolate bar; 30g Low

Jams and marmalades Low

*Crisps Low

Popcorn Medium

Mars bar Medium

*Table sugar (sucrose) Medium

Corn chips High

Jelly Beans High

pretzels High

Dates High

Tomato Soup, tinned Low

Lentil Soup, tinned Low

Black bean soup, tinned Medium

Green pea soup, tinned Medium

Vegetable and Beans

Artichoke Low

Asparagus Low

Broccoli Low

Cauliflower Low

Celery Low

Cucumber Low

Eggplant Low

Green beans Low

Lettuce, all varieties Low

Low-fat yogurt, artificially sweetened Low

Peppers, all varieties Low

Snow peas Low

Spinach Low

Young summer squash Low

Tomatoes Low

Zucchini Low

Soya Beans, boiled Low

Peas, dried Low

Kidney beans, boiled Low

Lentils green, boiled Low

Chickpeas Low

Haricot beans, boiled Low

Black-eyed beans Low

Chickpeas, tinned Low

Baked beans, tinned Low

Kidney beans, tinned Low

Lentils green, tinned Low

Broad beans High

Notes: *high in empty calories **low-calorie and nutritious foods

Hi,

I am a nutritionist and I can answer any of your nutrition questions.

Just ask!:thumbup:

Hi, My surgery was 12/5 I am comming up on my 3 wk post op. Ok i am very hungry now. I just started walking to work out. My first fill is 1/12/09. I am trying my best to stick with the plann. I have lost 21lbs so far. But iam trying not to eat in between the meals like it says to do. Is there something else i can eat or do to make this feeling go away.

i was wondering what you think of the tofu Shirataki noodles i just got banded on 1/16/09 but will be moving into my own apt and have to learn to cook for myself i was hopeing to use these in a chicken stir fry when i get into solid foods but i dont realy have a clue what i will tolerate well as i curently have no restriction and other people have reported that they continue to eat mostly the same foods but in much smaller portions

the stats for the noodles are

8 oz package, 2 servings, 20 calories per serving, .05 fat, 1 gram of Protein 3 total carbs 2 of those are Fiber, 1 net carb per serving

thank you for your time and advice Liz

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Prdgrdma

So I guess after gastric bypass surgery, I cant eat flock chips because they are fried???  They sell them on here so I thought I could have them. So high in protein and no carbs.  They don't bother me at all.  Help. 
      · 1 reply
      1. NickelChip

It's possible for a very high fat meal to cause dumping in some (30% or so) gastric bypass patients, although it's more likely to be triggered by high sugar, or by the high fat/high sugar combo (think ice cream, donuts). Dietitians will tell you to never do anything that isn't 100% healthy ever again. Realistically, you should aim for a good balance of protein, carbs, and fat each day. Should you eat fried foods every day? No. Is it possible they will make you sick? Maybe. Is it okay to eat some to see what happens and have them for a treat every now and again? Yes.

• NovelTee

I'm not at all hungry on this liquid pre-op diet, but I miss the sensation of chewing. It's been about two weeks––surgery is in two days––and I can't imagine how I'll feel a couple of weeks post-op. Tonight, I randomly stumbled upon a mukbang channel on YouTube, and it was strangely soothing... is it just me, or is this a thing? 
      · 1 reply
      1. NickelChip

I actually watched cooking shows during my pre-op, like Great British Baking Show. It was a little bizarre, but didn't make me hungry. I think it was also soothing in a way.

• Clueless_girl

How do you figure out what your ideal weight should be? I've had a figure in my head for years, but after 3 mths of recovery I'm already almost there. So maybe my goal should be lower?
      · 2 replies
      1. NickelChip

Well, there is actually a formula for "Ideal Body Weight" and you can use a calculator to figure it out for you. This one also does an adjusted weight for a person who starts out overweight or obese. https://www.mdcalc.com/calc/68/ideal-body-weight-adjusted-body-weight

I would use that as a starting point, and then just see how you feel as you lose. How you look and feel is more important than a number.

2. Clueless_girl

I did find different calculators but I couldn't find any that accounted for body frame. But you're right, it is just a number. It was just disheartening to see that although I lost 60% of my excess weight, it's still not in the "normal/healthy" range..

• Aunty Mamo

Tomorrow marks two weeks since surgery day and while I'm feeling remarkably well and going about just about every normal activity, I did wind up with a surface abscess on on of my incision sights and was put on an antibiotic that made me so impacted that it took me more than two hours to eliminate yesterday and scared the hell out of me. Now there's Miralax in all my beverages that aren't Smooth Move tea. I cannot experience that again. I shouldn't have to take Ativan to go to the lady's. I really looking forward to my body getting with the program again. 
      I'm in day three of the "puree" stage of eating and despite the strange textures, all of the savory flavors seem decadent. 
      I timed this surgery so that I'd be recovering during my spring break. That was a good plan. Today is a state holiday and the final day of break. I feel really strong to return to school tomorrow. 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • BeanitoDiego

Now that I'm in maintenance mode, I'm getting a into a routine for my meals. Every day, I start out with 8-16 ounces of water, and then a proffee, which I have come to look forward to even the night before. My proffees are simply a black coffee with a protein powder added. There are three products that I cycle through: Premier Vanilla, Orgain Vanilla, and Dymatize Vanilla.
      For second breakfast on workdays, I will have a low-fat yogurt with two tablespoons of PBFit and two teaspoons of no sugar added dried cherries. I will have ingested 35-45 grams of protein at this point between the two breakfasts, with 250-285 calories, and about 20 carbs.
      For second breakfast on non-workdays, I will prepare two servings of plain, instant oatmeal with a tablespoon of an olive oil-based spread. This means I will have had 34 grams of protein, 365 calories, and 38 carbs. Non-workdays are when I am being very active with training sessions, so I allow myself more carbohydrate fuel.
      Snacks on any day are always mixed nuts, even when I am travelling. I will have 0.2 cups of a blend that I make myself. It consists of dry roasted peanuts, cashews, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, pistachios, and Brazil nuts. This is 5 grams of protein, 163 calories, and 7 carbs.
      Breakfast and snacks have been the easiest to nail down. Lunch and dinner have more variables, and I prepare enough for leftovers. I concentrate on protein first, and then add vegetables. Typically tempeh, tofu, or Field Roast products with roasted or sautéed vegetables. Today, I will be eating leftovers from last night. Two ounces of tempeh with four ounces of roasted vegetables that consist of red and yellow sweet peppers, sweet potatoes, small purple potatoes, zucchini, and carrots. I will add a tablespoon of olive oil-based spread, break up 3 walnuts to sprinkle of top, and garnish with two tablespoons of grated Parmesan cheese. This particular meal will be 19 grams of protein, 377 calories, and 28 grams of carbs. Bear in mind that I do eat more carbs when I am not working, and I focus on ingesting healthy carbs instead of breads/crackers/chips/crisps.
      It's a helluva journey and I'm thankful to be on it!

· 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches