Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

ask a nutritionist - free advice offered

Why is there so much emphasis on having no sugar/no fat pudding (and overall in general no sugar/no fat) lol. I hate the stuff. I'm on mushies right now and totally not getting in enough calories/protein. I feel like I'd be able to get in more if I could make regular pudding with skim milk.

Why is there so much emphasis on having no sugar/no fat pudding (and overall in general no sugar/no fat) lol. I hate the stuff. I'm on mushies right now and totally not getting in enough calories/protein. I feel like I'd be able to get in more if I could make regular pudding with skim milk.

Most people don't realize that the body converts sugar into blood sugar very rapidly. Having a high blood sugar level can eventually cause diabetes and other problems. Sugar isn't a natural food item that our bodies were meant to have. It is a nice man made treat.

If you don't feel you are getting enough calories I would focus on carbs/protein like a bean burrito and scrambled eggs.

If you must have something I would recommend using a small amount of Splenda instead of regular sugar and always remember that a small amount of anything is always better than a large amount. Just keep your portion size to 3-4oz once a week. I wouldn't do it daily.

Hi,

I am a nutritionist and I can answer any of your nutrition questions.

Just ask!:(

I am still on full liquids, and looking ahead to the next stages for ideas. My paperwork says I should aim for 60-70 grams of Protein, 25 grams of Fiber. My concern is that 25 grams of Fiber. 1/2 to 3/4 cup of food, 4 oz of it hard Protein - what can I add that will bring up the fiber content of my diet? There are high fiber pastas out there - but I know many people have trouble with Pasta. Beans are a good source of both, so they can be incorporated. What else can I do?

I've been educating myself of the diet phases. But I'm fuzzy on Full liquids vs Mushies vs. Puree.

What I'm thinking is that Mushies (if more liquid is added and stuff is strained) could constitute as full liquids? (for example: you make a chicken vegetable Soup and blend it then strain it, if it is too thick add a bit more Water and .... waaalaaa - full liquids?)

And Mushies and Puree sound about the same. Or is Mushies a mix of solid and liquid that isn't pureed?

Also, on the Protein shakes...they are considered liquid for the 1st stage? And you can add things to them (such as SF pudding) for the full stage?

And what are you feelings of crushed supplements mixed into Water or Protein shake .... would that be considered Liquid/Full Liquid?

Thanks so much for offering to help!

I am getting banded at the end of January and I'm worried about Vitamin deficiency after surgery. Do you have a recommendation for a liquid vitamin that I can take?? I'm really worried about maintaining my energy level for work and I'm also really worried about my hair falling out.. Any suggestions and advice is greatly appreciated!! Thanks!!

I am getting banded at the end of January and I'm worried about Vitamin deficiency after surgery. Do you have a recommendation for a liquid Vitamin that I can take?? I'm really worried about maintaining my energy level for work and I'm also really worried about my hair falling out.. Any suggestions and advice is greatly appreciated!! Thanks!!

You can use a chewable vitamin. Centrum has them, though they taste like sh*t. I am a transplant patient so I was taking my medications the same day as my surgery (the pills are small), so a chewable vitamin is fine. Also, what I have found is great for energy that you can also take with Water at the same time is dried bee pollen. You can buy it at a health food store. Taking just a 1/4 teaspoon a day gives you more energy. Dried bee pollen is a natural form of an antioxidant. Antioxidants get rid of the free radicals or bad stuff that hangs around in your body.

Why are you worried about your hair falling out?

I've been educating myself of the diet phases. But I'm fuzzy on Full Liquids vs Mushies vs. Puree.

What I'm thinking is that Mushies (if more liquid is added and stuff is strained) could constitute as full liquids? (for example: you make a chicken vegetable Soup and blend it then strain it, if it is too thick add a bit more Water and .... waaalaaa - full liquids?)

And Mushies and Puree sound about the same. Or is Mushies a mix of solid and liquid that isn't pureed?

Also, on the Protein shakes...they are considered liquid for the 1st stage? And you can add things to them (such as SF pudding) for the full stage?

And what are you feelings of crushed supplements mixed into Water or Protein shake .... would that be considered Liquid/Full Liquid?

Thanks so much for offering to help!

What kind of supplements are you taking? If they are the size of a pea or smaller you can take them normally with a glass of water or liquid. I was taking my meds the same day as my surgery (pills are small) without any problems. Crushed and put into milk, ect... is also fine, but I am curious to what supplements you are taking.

Protein Shakes are always considered liquid and you need to have at least 3 of them a day to get your 1200 calories or you body will go into starvation mode.

I wouldn't worry to much about mushies and purees. Full liquids are:

Protein drinks

milk

chicken broth

Mushies and Purees are:

cream Soups

chili from Wendy's

pinto Beans from Taco Bell

applesauce

OJ

smoothies

and you can puree anything you like.

Mushies and purees are almost the same thing. You will know if your body can handle it and if not then I would just experiment with different foods. I was having soft foods by my 3rd week (though I wasn't suppose to), but I didn't have any problems and at my doctor visit everything was fine. Is is more of how your body feels after eating versus the pages of guidelines of "what to do" from your doctor.

I have found on this website that everyone's doctors give everyone different instructions on eating, so I would definately experiment with what feels good to you when eating it.

Hope this helps.

I am still on full liquids, and looking ahead to the next stages for ideas. My paperwork says I should aim for 60-70 grams of Protein, 25 grams of fiber. My concern is that 25 grams of fiber. 1/2 to 3/4 cup of food, 4 oz of it hard Protein - what can I add that will bring up the fiber content of my diet? There are high fiber pastas out there - but I know many people have trouble with Pasta. Beans are a good source of both, so they can be incorporated. What else can I do?

What I have been taking is Fiber One chewable tablets. You can have 1-2 of them a day as a supplement and since they are chewable you can have them during your liquid phase. If you are looking straight for foods when you are on a regular or soft food diet, instead try these:

High Fiber Food Chart

(more than 7 grams per serving)

FOOD AMOUNT TOTAL FIBER (grams)

Avocado1 medium11.84

Black Beans, cooked1 cup14.92

Bran cereal1 cup19.94

Broccoli, cooked1 cup4.5

Green peas, cooked1 cup8.84

Kale, cooked1 cup7.20

Kidney beans, cooked1 cup13.33

Lentils, cooked1 cup15.64

Lima beans, cooked1 cup13.16

Navy beans, cooked1 cup11.65

Oats, dry1 cup12.00

Pinto beans, cooked1 cup14.71

Split peas, cooked1 cup16.27

Raspberries1 cup8.34

Rice, brown, uncooked1 cup7.98

Soybeans, cooked1 cup7.62

Thanks for the advice. I should have told you in my original post that I have a hard time with chewable Vitamins. For some reason anything chewable (vitamins, tums, etc.) activates my gag reflex really bad. I think it has to do with the texture.. I know that sounds crazy, but that's the way I've been as long as I can remember?? I found a liquid Vitamin mixture at GNC do you think that would be sufficient. Also what about liquid or shot form of B12? ?

As far as my hair falling out, I know two people who both have been banded and their hair became really thin and brittle and they lost alot of it in the intial months after the surgery. Both of their docs said that it could be attributed to Vitamin deficiencies. I've also read about the same thing happening to other members in these forums. I'm just trying to make sure that I do whatever I can to prevent that from happening!! I think Biotin is the vitamin to take to prevent that?? Any recommendations??

Thanks for the advice. I should have told you in my original post that I have a hard time with chewable Vitamins. For some reason anything chewable (vitamins, tums, etc.) activates my gag reflex really bad. I think it has to do with the texture.. I know that sounds crazy, but that's the way I've been as long as I can remember?? I found a liquid Vitamin mixture at GNC do you think that would be sufficient. Also what about liquid or shot form of B12? ?

As far as my hair falling out, I know two people who both have been banded and their hair became really thin and brittle and they lost alot of it in the intial months after the surgery. Both of their docs said that it could be attributed to Vitamin deficiencies. I've also read about the same thing happening to other members in these forums. I'm just trying to make sure that I do whatever I can to prevent that from happening!! I think Biotin is the vitamin to take to prevent that?? Any recommendations??

Sometimes about 3 or 4 months after an illness or a major surgery, you may suddenly lose a large amount of hair. This Hair loss is related to the stress of the illness. Also, to much Vitamin A can cause hair loss. I haven't heard anything about Biotin though. But I do know that Rogaine will help your hair grow back.

Regarding the liquid vitamins, I would check the back of the liquid vitamin bottle and compare it to a chewable/regular Centrum type vitamin and see if the percentage of each vitamin is the same. If not you may need to double your dosage to make sure you are getting the recommended daily dosage which is:

Vitamins Recommended daily intake

Biotin

(B-complex)

30 µg

Folate

(B-complex)

400 µg

Vitamin A 600 µg

Vitamin B1 (thiamin)

1,4 mg

Vitamin B2 (riboflavin)

1,6 mg

Vitamin B3 (niacin)

18 mg

Vitamin B5 (patothenic acid)

6 mg

Vitamin B6 (pyridoxine)

2 mg

Vitamin B12 (cobalamine)

6 µg

Vitamin C (ascorbic acid)

75 mg

Vitamin D (cholecalciferol)

5 µg

Vitamin E (tocopherol)

10 mg

Vitamin K 80 µg

Minerals Recommended daily intake

Boron < 20 mg

Calcium 1000 mg

Chlorine

3400 mg

(in chloride form)

Chromium 120 µg

Copper 2 mg

Fluorine 3,5 mg

Iodine 150 µg

Iron 15 mg

Magnesium 350 mg

Manganese 5 mg

Molybdenum 75 µg

Nickel < 1 mg

Phosphorus 1000 mg

Potassium 3500 mg

Selenium 35 µg

Sodium 2400 mg

Vanadium < 1,8 mg

Zinc 15 mg

Notes

I try pretty hard to eat right and exercise. I am doing well on the band, but could be doing better.

My weight is ALL OVER THE PLACE! I can gain like, 2-3 pounds overnight. I can also lose that much overnight.

Often though my weight stays the same for several weeks and drops. I am now trying to keep to around 1000 calories a day (fewer some days, more others) and I am exercising 3-4 times a week.

I am not watching carbs though, and do definitely eat some junk... however, I eat very little and should think I would lose anyway, especially with the low calorie intake. Do you know what the problem is?

I don't understand! Calories are low, exercise is good, can it really be that bad? I have eaten 600 calories today, 45 grams of Protein and will probably eat again. I did eat a cookie and some hot cocoa.

the issue I have is that this is supposed to be a life style change and a tool... why does my doctor want me eating 600-800 calories and only a bit of sugar once in awhile. She said maybe chocolate once a month. I understand that I have to make sacrifices, but it seems crazy to me the amount of calories and the kinds of foods I need to eat. I mean, if I did that pre-band, I probably would have the same results...

Why is the diet so strict when you already can hardly eat any food? (I can maybe eat 3 oz at a time.)

Hi there.. I haven't been banded yet, but trying to learn everything i can now....i am a vegetarian...i hear how important the Proteins are.... I hardly eat them now(you could call me a pastaterian) what can i do after surgery to make sure to get enough without eating meat....thanks for any advice

I am very confused and puzzled by the term "glycemic index". Could you please explain (define) and how this can help a bandster?

I try pretty hard to eat right and exercise. I am doing well on the band, but could be doing better.

My weight is ALL OVER THE PLACE! I can gain like, 2-3 pounds overnight. I can also lose that much overnight.

Often though my weight stays the same for several weeks and drops. I am now trying to keep to around 1000 calories a day (fewer some days, more others) and I am exercising 3-4 times a week.

I am not watching carbs though, and do definitely eat some junk... however, I eat very little and should think I would lose anyway, especially with the low calorie intake. Do you know what the problem is?

I don't understand! Calories are low, exercise is good, can it really be that bad? I have eaten 600 calories today, 45 grams of Protein and will probably eat again. I did eat a cookie and some hot cocoa.

the issue I have is that this is supposed to be a life style change and a tool... why does my doctor want me eating 600-800 calories and only a bit of sugar once in awhile. She said maybe chocolate once a month. I understand that I have to make sacrifices, but it seems crazy to me the amount of calories and the kinds of foods I need to eat. I mean, if I did that pre-band, I probably would have the same results...

Why is the diet so strict when you already can hardly eat any food? (I can maybe eat 3 oz at a time.)

Everyone naturally goes up and down 2-3 pounds per day because it is Water weight coming and going. Don't worry about it.

You have put your body into starvation mode because you are not eating the minimum calories of 1200 per day that your body needs in order to function. Try to stay at least at 1200 calories a day for the next couple weeks. With the exercise you should see a difference in a couple of weeks. Let me know if you don't.