Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Many Fills before you started losing well

Hi all!

I just had my first fill, but I am definately not getting full as I hoped I would be from my meals. I have a 10cc band and they put in 5cc's. I have lost 12-14 lbs right during the preop and right after surgery, but I completely stuck now (for 3 weeks). I intend to start exercising more over the coming weeks.

One drawback to not being allowed to have Diet Coke, is drinking more skim milk. I know it's good for you, but still liquid calories:redface:

Anybody else out there with a lower BMI take a while to really start losing well?

I was banded on Oct. 24, when I went in for my first fill he put in 3cc's, I have a 10 cc's band. I have lost about 16 pounds since I first started the pre-op diet, I too fill like I'm eating to much, i don't get that full feeling like I thought I would. I go Dec. 9, for my second fill, maybe that will make a differance. I'm also ready to get on the band wagon and lose some more weight.

Have a great day!!!!!:tongue2:

The first fill rarely does it.

There is not a straight answer for how many it took for me. Each fill was better. Fill three was great, I lost fast within the first two weeks then the band got loose and I needed another fill. Fill four was the same thing so two weeks later I had to have fill five that was six weeks ago and I have been losing steadily 2 pounds a week.

I've had one fill and don't feel very much restriction at all. I goto see the dr in 1 week to talk about another fill. I'm glad I'm not alone!!! I always need support especially from people who get it.

im the same age as you and i just got my first fill. I was banded on october 23rd and i too cant tell much of a difference. They scheduled my next fill for six weeks out. Im wondering if i can get my next one sooner if i want to or if thats whats required by my dr. Im going to call them next week and find out. good luck :tongue2:

Jodi,

Would you please explain to me how your band got loose, i have never heard of that before. Can I streach my pouch? is that how it gets loose.

Thanks for your help

bradley18

Jodi,

Would you please explain to me how your band got loose, i have never heard of that before. Can I streach my pouch? is that how it gets loose.

Thanks for your help

bradley18

When we are overweight we also have excess fat around our organs including the stomach. And as we lose weight the fat dissolves around the stomach which makes the band get loose.

You can stretch your pouch if you constently keep it overfilled. As long as you are following the band rules it shouldn't happen.

I was not a real low bmi I was at 40. Everyone will definately tell you that you will never again lose like you did on the pre-op. That is when all the Water weight came off, so it was really fast. You would definately notice a difference in your measurements and probably on the scale once you start exercising. It really revs up the weight loss and can get you off plateus. Were you told the amount of calories you should eat per day to ensure weight loss? I may be odd, but I like to leave my band on the looser side, so I am able to eat enough where I feel good during exercise. I still get hungry, just not famished. It sounds like you may need a fill to get to your comfort level. As far as diet coke goes, I was addicted. I still have a couple a week. The only difference is, I can only have the little itty 4oz (i think) cans. I leave it opened a while so it isn't as carbonated. I don't let myself have it unless I have drank all my waters. I love crystal light packets, if it wasn't for them I wouldn't get any water down. Remember that you are only suppose to lose 1-2lbs a week. I tend to go a couple of weeks without losing anything, and then all of a sudden 5lbs will be gone. Good Luck with continued success.

I have had 2 fills and have to say I haven't hit real restriction just yet. I have enough restriction that if I eat too fast or too big of a bite, it gets stuck. I don't have enough restriction to keep me full for 4 or more hours. I am hoping that my next fill will put me to that point. Keep up the good work though!

Thanks everyone!

I hope fill #2 tames the beast a little more. I do know that I am taking in a lot less than I was before, so it sort of blows me away that the weight doesn't come off - exercise or not. I ate an entire grilled chicken sandwhich at Big Boy with a couple of my sons FFs. I was satisified (for about 3 hours), but I think I should have been FULL! Not that the FULL sensation is what I am looking for, but I would think that after half of the sandwich I should have not been able to finish the rest. Well at the end of the month is another fill, and I will just try to make good choices.

I have another question if anyone has time to anser:confused: Do you have to have a couple of sips of Water with a meal (meaning 2-3) or are you all eating without a drop until a half hour later? How do you cope with dry mouth?

Thanks everyone!

I hope fill #2 tames the beast a little more. I do know that I am taking in a lot less than I was before, so it sort of blows me away that the weight doesn't come off - exercise or not. I ate an entire grilled chicken sandwhich at Big Boy with a couple of my sons FFs. I was satisified (for about 3 hours), but I think I should have been FULL! Not that the FULL sensation is what I am looking for, but I would think that after half of the sandwich I should have not been able to finish the rest. Well at the end of the month is another fill, and I will just try to make good choices.

I have another question if anyone has time to anser:confused: Do you have to have a couple of sips of Water with a meal (meaning 2-3) or are you all eating without a drop until a half hour later? How do you cope with dry mouth?

I don't drink even a sip with my meal and it does indeed suck, thats probably one of the worst parts about the band for me. I do drink one sip after my meal to clean out my mouth but truly only one sip since I'm afraid of washing my food down too soon and risking being hungry again.

Both my surgeon and dietician said I could have a few sips of a beverage during a meal. Occasionally I do but I try to avoid it. For me it seems to disrupt the meal because it gives me a strange bubble feeling in the pouch and usually causes me to stop eating until that passes.

Brad

My surgeon takes the view with drinking that if you dont think it makes you hunger, then drink when you like. I truly do not think drinking with a meal makes me hungrier.

However, since about my fifth fill I can no longer really do it anyway. It gives me that bubble in the chest feeling too, its not comfortable and with certain foods its guaranteed to cause a pb. I usually drink within half an hour of finishing a meal though. Over time, the desire to do it has simply dissipated because I associate drinking anything more than a sip with discomfort, same as how I never want to eat pizza or Mcdonalds either.

I had enough restriction after each fill to lose well, what changed for me was how long that restriction lasted before my band would loosen off and it was time for another. Early on it was weeks, after my last fill, I went over a year before getting a tiny top up.