Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Kaiser Richmond Pre-op

No problem Stacey! Just make sure you do what is right for you along with a well educated decision!

Evening all........long day!!

Missed Robins call today because of work. Disappointed.

I am gonna be in the Bay area on Thursday and Friday so I might try to stop by Richmond if she is available.

Is dispo doing ok?? Don't see any messages?

Sleeve people is there such a thing as being to tight with the sleeve? Have you ever not been able to get anything down? Does the stomach swell if you throw up to much?

Ever not been able to get liquids down? Just trying to do some research and find out what the possible complications are?? Thanks ahead of time :-)

Hi swrktp (sorry forgot your name, maybe you can add it to you signature),

Not sure there are any of the complications you mention except sometimes the stomach can be too small after Sleeve surgery then a procedure is performed to stretch the stomach out slightly. This is not very common.

Once you fill your new small stomach up with food or drink there is no room so if you eat or drink too much it will come back up. Not sure puking has caused any swelling with me that caused further complications like some have with the band. Remember the band is a fixed object and swelling directly causes problems. The Sleeve is just a much smaller stomach so your plumbing/absorption works just like normal but with greatly reduced input capacity. I have only spit up some liquid once in the past six weeks and I’m now four months post-op. Hunger is greatly reduced still which really helps me out. I hope this all made sense as I’m tired and getting ready for bed.

Have a great night!

Thanks John that was really helpful!!

Doing research and trying find any possible complications. I guess so far only leaks which they are suppose to catch in the hospital if they happen.

My name is Tina :-)

Tina, I echo what John said. One time I took to big of gulp of Water and it wouldn't go down...it was weird but once I threw it up I was fine. I have thrown up maybe 4 times.

I am 2 months post op and really don't have any issues at all. I really can't eat to much food and my stomach has never seemed irritated. I can say that I have not had a hunger pain since surgery..If its been a while since eating I feel kind of "empty" but a small something and I am full again.

Leaks and heartburn are the most talked about complications...I think leaks are rare and if heartburn develops there are pills for that--lol. I have had neither.

Guest sodapop

reg and mo!!!! heyyyyyy hope to see ya soon!

TINA-hey the ONLY complications that I have heard of with the sleeve was leaks and the fact that if you ever got stomach cancer later in life we only have a small stomach.

This is the reason I choose the sleeve there really werent ANY complications and I figured damn-my stomach is too big and this is why i a fat get rid of that shit! lol the sleeve to me still seems too good to be true but time will tell. I can eat whatever I want just little amounts and get full and satisfied??? seems crazy. The sleeve will stretch a tiny bit but they leave all the leathery part of the stomach, take out all the stretchy part, and then it is also suppose to take out the part of the stomach that is responsible for hunger its called "gryle" (spelling) anywho kinda seems like a magical fix but we shall see. ha ha. nothing can be that perfect right?

yes I love that you are as messed up as me. we can totally feel sorry for ourselves. lol! have you gone to verticalsleevetalk.com? most and I say MOST people that have the sleeve on there were banded before and they could give you a lot of help. everyone is super duper nice on there like here!

so TOMORROW will be a WEEK out! yay! 12 pounds post op. I feel like I am MELTING!!!!!!!! yay!!!!!!

ali-tonight I totally freaked out. I am starving for meat. I hate meat! I think I am lacking protien. all I can think about is chicken and tuna and eggs. there is something wrong-I never want these things!!!!!!!!!

Guest sodapop

ohhh and I want the WHOLE world to know I LOVE ASH!! She is my rock through all of this. I love you my sleeve BFF!

:biggrin:

Thanks Chrissy I did go over to the other forum and found you there!!

I am doing alot of serious thinking.

Gotta figure out the asthma thing first and hopefully get Kaiser Richmond to order an x ray of the band just to make sure that is not causing the breathing problems and make sure everything is where it is suppose to be. The docs in ER in Roseville were sorta clueless about the band!! They said they had heard of it but didn't feel comfortable deal with it. LOL. I asked for an x ray of the band and they did my lungs. I wanted both but they said go back to Richmond for the band x ray...........****sigh***** I am sure they could have done it just for my peace of mind but they said they don't deal with the bands Richmond does that. I wonder if I could get Richmond to order an x ray or barium swallow here in town.

Still down 16 pounds and TOM so the band is tightening up today. Will be tight for the rest of the week so maybe I will lose a bit more this week. No PB's for three weeks now :-)

Edited by swrktp

Oh one more question for the lady sleevers.............what about TOM does anything significant happen with the sleeve? I know with the band I get tight for about a week.

I am assuming probably nothing happens.

ALI:

Do you get in 64 ounces of Water a day no problem now??

Hi Tina!

Yes like Ali said heartburn (Gerd) is one of the more common issues. I take Protonix to help the stomach out. Ali do you take the Protonix daily? I was told I should take it for life. I haven’t had any signs of Gerd but I can say that my small stomach is more sensitive to spicy foods so I try and take it easy.

But they do stress that this type of Sleeve procedure (titanium staples) is new and does not have much of a history. The old Sleeve procedure has a history and because it inserted a Sleeve type mesh around the stomach it had erosion and rejection problems like the band.

Even though my hunger has gone done significantly from what I understand the Ghrelin is more of a theory and is not proven. The hunger may come back as I’m still in the honeymoon phase…

Chrissy – Glad you are a looser! Haha

Hi everyone,

I know it has been a while since I posted, so I thought I would give everyone an update. I had my second fill on June 18th. I love how Dr. Baggs gives me 5 pound goals between fills. It makes everything seem so doable. Little chunks of weight all add up. I didn't have any restriction until this last fill. Now, I can feel my band and I am lovin' it. I have lost 35 pounds total so far. My surgery was March 22nd. My next fill is July 29th. I have already lost 1.8 of my 5 pound goal. I think the key to my success is that I still go to my weekly Weight Watcher's meeting. I follow the lapband diet, but get support and accountability by continuing my weekly meeting. My WW leader knows about my surgery and has no problem with it. She did some research and helps me stay on track with my special diet needs in mind. It really just makes good nutritional sense anyway and actually there isn't much difference. I just stick to my Protein and veggies and restrict my carbs. Water and exercise are my friends.

I am happy to know everyone else is doing well. Just stick to the basics, relax and be kind to yourselves. The weight will come off. You are all doing great!

I love my Chrissy 2!!!!

Hi Laurel, I have been thinking of you and am so glad to hear you are doing great! 35 pds is awesome and it sounds like you have a good thing going by blending the WW and the band diet--that's a great idea.

John, I was given prilosec to take but I never have taken it. Since I don't have GERD problems I never felt the need to take it. Probably should confirm that with Dr Park...maybe at my 3 month apt I will ask. I was also given a stomach coater and I only took that in the very beginning.

Tina, I get Water down fine. The one episode was really weird and I think I tried to take to big of gulp and it got stuck but I get my 64 ozs water in no problem.

Chrissy, I do get cravings too but I don't think I got them a week post op. It was more like a month. I crave spicy foods which is funny since John says he has to be careful with them. We are all different!

John, I hope my hunger pains never come back! Wouldn't that be awesome! When I am real busy I totally forget about eating. I take in about 600-800 calories a day. I am trying to get my Proteins up to about 65 a day and to do that I drink a muscle milk light Protein drink--otherwise I only get to about 50 a day of protein.

My hardest thing has been remembering to take my vitamins! I keep forgetting! I am going to resort to putting sticky notes all over the house to remimd me.

Great day everyone!

Ali - I don't have Gerd either but was told to take Protonix for the first year and probably for life. I hope your hunger never comes back as well! I do get some temptations to eat more but the stomach capacity always wins my mind over so it’s easy to just eat a little. It’s an awesome feeling being satisfied with such a small meal!

Pam – Great article thanks for sharing!!!!!!!!!

Donna – Can’t make the meeting this weekend. Working so I can take a longer 4th weekend.

How is everyone else today?