Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

FREE Nutrition advice

I love free help!

I am 30 days post op and had my first fill on this past thursday on 12-11-08. My doctor says I am doing well. I am down over 20lbs. I am just worried about what I should be eating. when I do eat I stop when I am full and I am fine after that. I was raised on soul food so that consists of lots of carbs. I not sure what I should be eating and what my plate should look like. for example for dinner I had 2 baked chicken wings some mashed potatoes and some peas. I ate my chicken and my veggies and didnt finishe my potatoes because I was full. am i doing the right thing?

Sounds good to me. I believe it isn't always WHAT you eat, but HOW much of it you eat. You can eat a small cookie everyday to take care of a craving and be fine versus eating the whole box. If you have a concern regarding a certain food item (soul food) let me know, as I can tell you how to make a less fatting version, if needed.

20lbs - GOOD JOB!!!:confused_smile:

I actually had my first fill last week since April. I am finally losing again. I actually think I wasn't eating enough. I'm doing at least 14-20 miles a week on the treadmill---I'm limiting my workouts to cardio because I build muscle really fast--and while I know it may rev up your metabolism, I'm the ONLY woman I know who manages to bulk up at Curves..... So now, I'm focusing on eating everything right--following the rules and making sure I eat enough. Thanks for offering though. My scale is finally moving again. :thumbup:

I wouldn't limit your workout to just cardio. While it seems like your legs are building muscle you still need to balance out the rest of your body. The chest area is another large muscle area and also doing abs. Just 10 minutes twice a week will help you out more. Your body metabolism runs higher when you have a muscle mass on you.

GOOD JOB!!:confused_smile:

Question To Nutrionist - when we get to a proper restriction level and are only able to eat small portions, how are we supposed to get the proper amt of Protein? Kind of hard to do for me right now since I am only able to eat maybe 1-2 oz of Protein each meal.

1-2 ounces each meal adds up each day. I would add in Protein Drinks to make up the difference. Body builders buy protein drinks that have the highest level of protein. Check out a health food store like Sprouts, ect. That way if you are having a Protein Drink with each meal you are getting enough.

You are on the right track. Make sure you are exercising 30 minutes a day whether walking or doing Richard Simmons videos (he makes a difference in people's lives)

Merry Christmas.

Did you know that police officers pour soda on blood left on the street from car accidents because the soda disintegrates it?

Good to remember next time you are craving a soda!

Also, if you would like me to reduce the calories of your favorite meal or have questions regarding certain foods, please let me know.

Thanks for the offer of free advice! I'll take you up on it.

I'm 5 days post-op so I'm in the liquid stage - Protein Shakes, broths, sugar-free popsicles and pudding, and lite yogurt, along with liquids like Crystal Lite and Water are my options right now. With that said, I'm STARVING. And I'm not talking about head hunger...those gnawing pains and growls from my tummy are hunger. I'm curious to know how long after you were banded did you get to the 1200 calorie minimum? My Protein shakes have 15g Protein, but only 70 calories each, so I may need to look for different shakes. Also, I'm already at about 60 ounces of liquids per day plus a popsicle and a little container of sf pudding. Is this too much too fast? My instructions from the doc say to sip slowly and increase as tolerated. But the hospital nutritionist told me that it would likely take several weeks to get to the point where I could handle 64 ounces of liquid and 60 grams of protein. I don't want to do any damage, but I also don't want to become dehydrated because I'm not getting enough liquids. And I don't think I'm drinking too much because I've had no reflux, no pain, etc....no indications that I'm overdoing it. I'm just worried because I seems to be taking in more than the nutritionist thought I would. I've left her (and the nurse at my surgeon's office) a voice mail, but no response yet.

Any advice would be appreciated.

PS - If it matters, I logged my intake for the past two days and I'm having about 350 cals/55g protein.

Hello my name is alice. My email is leojudd@hotmail.com. You are exactly what I'm looking for! I've got some troubles finding nutritional balance. I'm 12 weeks out of surgery and I'm needing some serious assistance. It would be wonderful if you could email me. I really really really appreciate all the help I can get. I need it!

Thank you.

I wouldn't limit your workout to just cardio. While it seems like your legs are building muscle you still need to balance out the rest of your body. The chest area is another large muscle area and also doing abs. Just 10 minutes twice a week will help you out more. Your body metabolism runs higher when you have a muscle mass on you.

GOOD JOB!!:)

Whilst I agree in principle, I can promise you that running builds your arms and shoulders to a lovely feminine tone and will eventually give you SUPER strong and flat abdominal muscles. My upper body is in fantastic shape from running.

Thanks for the offer of free advice! I'll take you up on it.

I'm 5 days post-op so I'm in the liquid stage - Protein shakes, broths, sugar-free popsicles and pudding, and lite yogurt, along with liquids like Crystal Lite and Water are my options right now. With that said, I'm STARVING. And I'm not talking about head hunger...those gnawing pains and growls from my tummy are hunger. I'm curious to know how long after you were banded did you get to the 1200 calorie minimum? My Protein Shakes have 15g Protein, but only 70 calories each, so I may need to look for different shakes. Also, I'm already at about 60 ounces of liquids per day plus a popsicle and a little container of sf pudding. Is this too much too fast? My instructions from the doc say to sip slowly and increase as tolerated. But the hospital nutritionist told me that it would likely take several weeks to get to the point where I could handle 64 ounces of liquid and 60 grams of protein. I don't want to do any damage, but I also don't want to become dehydrated because I'm not getting enough liquids. And I don't think I'm drinking too much because I've had no reflux, no pain, etc....no indications that I'm overdoing it. I'm just worried because I seems to be taking in more than the nutritionist thought I would. I've left her (and the nurse at my surgeon's office) a voice mail, but no response yet.

Any advice would be appreciated.

PS - If it matters, I logged my intake for the past two days and I'm having about 350 cals/55g protein.

Not to piss off your doctor, but a week after my surgery I started eating mushy/soft foods because I wasn't getting enough calories. I would try and see if you can handle scrambled eggs, applesauce, ect...really soft foods. If you can then your calorie intake will increase (and you will stop starving). If not, let me know and I will find you higher calorie liquids to drink.

Good luck.

Hello my name is alice. My email is leojudd@hotmail.com. You are exactly what I'm looking for! I've got some troubles finding nutritional balance. I'm 12 weeks out of surgery and I'm needing some serious assistance. It would be wonderful if you could email me. I really really really appreciate all the help I can get. I need it!

Thank you.

Email is on the way.

Whilst I agree in principle, I can promise you that running builds your arms and shoulders to a lovely feminine tone and will eventually give you SUPER strong and flat abdominal muscles. My upper body is in fantastic shape from running.[/quote

Both 'methods' are essential for developing the healthiest body possible. They namely target different systems: cardiovascular exercise strengthens lung, vessels and heart, while weight training uses the stamina of cardiovascular exercise to build muscles that support skeleton and organs.

While aerobics burns more calories it doesn't build muscle the same way.

QUESTION:

Jachut addressed the Protein controversy earlier and I want to revisit it for a clear answer. For a male going to the gym 5-7 days a week for a blend of strength training and intense cardio, how many grams of Protein per pound of body weight would you shoot for? Is it really that important?

Brad

Not to piss off your doctor, but a week after my surgery I started eating mushy/soft foods because I wasn't getting enough calories. I would try and see if you can handle scrambled eggs, applesauce, ect...really soft foods. If you can then your calorie intake will increase (and you will stop starving). If not, let me know and I will find you higher calorie liquids to drink.

Good luck.

Thank you so much for the advice. I had an applesauce/cottage cheese mixture last night that kept the hunger pains away for about three hours, so that's much better. I have my post-op visit with the surgeon tomorrow, so I'm going to see if I can start on soft foods with a little more substance.

QUESTION:

Jachut addressed the Protein controversy earlier and I want to revisit it for a clear answer. For a male going to the gym 5-7 days a week for a blend of strength training and intense cardio, how many grams of Protein per pound of body weight would you shoot for? Is it really that important?

Brad

Hey Brad! Nice to see a guy actually asking for advice (or directions when lost in the car) Just kidding!

Eating more protein while you are working out so much is very important as your body will burn up the protein first and then start burning up the fat before it even starts going after any carbs (bad foods).

Several studies have shown that a great male physique can be built by consuming between 0.6 and 0.8 grams of protein per pound of body weight daily. So a 200-pound guy should shoot for 120-160 grams of protein per day to gain muscle weight.

Sounds like you are heading in the right direction.

Keep up the good work! :thumbup:

Huh?

It is my understanding that when you're working out hard you need plenty of Protein in your system to provide the raw materials to rebuild the muscles you've damaged AFTER the exercise has occurred.

When it comes to your body producing energy for your muscles, doesnt your body use circulating sugars in your blood, when that's depleted you use the glycogen from your muscles, followed by fat.

That's why you use sports nutrition products like energy drinks and gels during a run - instant, quickly digested and converted carbohydrates, and afterwards you ingest a mix of Protein (for repair) and a high GI carb to fill up that muscle glycogen that you've depleted.

I didnt think your body "burned protein" or any type of calories specifically or in preference once over another.

I know I sound argumentative, honestly I dont mean to. I want to understand this.

Huh?

It is my understanding that when you're working out hard you need plenty of Protein in your system to provide the raw materials to rebuild the muscles you've damaged AFTER the exercise has occurred.

When it comes to your body producing energy for your muscles, doesnt your body use circulating sugars in your blood, when that's depleted you use the glycogen from your muscles, followed by fat.

That's why you use sports nutrition products like energy drinks and gels during a run - instant, quickly digested and converted carbohydrates, and afterwards you ingest a mix of Protein (for repair) and a high GI carb to fill up that muscle glycogen that you've depleted.

I didnt think your body "burned protein" or any type of calories specifically or in preference once over another.

I know I sound argumentative, honestly I dont mean to. I want to understand this.

You are right. Protein does help rebuild your muscles, but your energy comes from a certain order. Your body burns protein, fat and then carbs in a certain order. That is why the Atkins diets are so popular because if you limit your carbs you then must burn up the first two (protein and fat) which burning the fat is the ultimate goal.

When people eat Desserts, Pasta, potatoes or other sugar- and starch-laden foods beyond the body's energy and nutritional needs, these carbohydrates become a flood of glucose, and the liver converts the surplus glucose to fat, If you don't burn up all those carbs and fat, guess who they become "best friends" with (your ass and thighs).

Does this make sense?