Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

FREE Nutrition advice

After my surgery on July 1, 2008, I was stuck on a 17 lb. weight loss. I couldn't understand why, but now I am sure I was not eating enough. Some days it was hard to eat more than 750 calories and as soon as I started eating more, I started losing.

jazie

Whenever you have less than 1200 calories in a day your body goes into starvation mode. It takes probably 2 days. That is why I don't agree with fasting because you are only losing the Water in your body and then your body will start using your muscle as fuel if it isn't getting it in the proper form of food. :tongue2:

That's what I was afraid you were going to say. I had started losing then after a couple of days of having so few calories, I went up 3 pounds in two days. I picked up my calorie intake yesterday. Thanks so much for offering us your advice!

I was wondering, my doc is always saying to eat more Protein, eat more protein and mentions having like almonds, nuts, ect..... but when I look at the labels, some of them are high in fat.... When looking at labels, should I be more concerned with the protein in an item or the fat? or calories? Also, how many calories a day should I be eating?

So I have some questions:

I read on here somewhere there are "issues" about soy for men. Of course that's all that was said. I looked on line and can't find anything. I don't use a lot but I actually like the taste and convenience soy milk.

What's the deal with Carbs in food - there are good carbs and bad carbs. How do I make a smart choice when looking at a label as it relates to carbs?

Thanks for the help

I have a question. I have a problem with high potassium. I have tried to find a substitute for milk. I thought the lactose free would be the answer, but found out it has the same potassium as regular milk. My lap band doctor says to eat more Protein and my kidney doctor says eat less protein. I drink 6 scoops of biatric meal with two glasses of milk a day. So far I am doing ok, but my potassium jumped to 6.1 when I first started. If I try to drink it with Water it upsets my stomach. Any suggestions?

I was wondering, my doc is always saying to eat more Protein, eat more Protein and mentions having like almonds, nuts, ect..... but when I look at the labels, some of them are high in fat.... When looking at labels, should I be more concerned with the protein in an item or the fat? or calories? Also, how many calories a day should I be eating?

Fat and protein burn in your body before carbs, so I would focus more on finding a nut that you like and limit yourself to about 10 per day, since they do naturally carry fat (but it is a healthy fat like avocados). I wouldn't focus so much on calories, fat, protein or you will just get frustrated. The best habit you can be making for your lifestyle change is quantity. Learn that you can eat whatever you want, but in small amounts. It is okay to have a small piece of cake. You just can't have the entire cake or a huge piece of cake. When you start depriving your self or trying to control your calories too much, eating will become a chore and life is to short to not enjoy yourself. So remember the following serving sizes:

Servings and Sizes Needed

Here is a review of the number of servings needed each day from each of the food groups and some ways to picture a serving size using everyday objects. Using these examples may help you see you are eating more servings from the food Guide Pyramid than you think.

Bread, Cereal, Rice, and Pasta (6 to 11 servings)

A serving is:

• • 1/2 cup of cooked cereal, rice, or Pasta or

• • 1 ounce of ready-to-eat cereal

Picture:

1 cup of rice, pasta - is the size of a tennis ball or ice cream scoop

1 piece of cornbread - is the size of a bar of soap

1 slice of bread - is the size of an audio cassette tape

Vegetables (3 to 5 servings)

A serving is:

• • 1/2 cup cooked or chopped raw vegetables or

• • 3/4 cup vegetable juice or

• • 1 cup of raw leafy vegetables

Picture:

1 -cup salad greens - is the size of a baseball

3/4 cup Tomato juice - is the size of a small styrofoam cup

1/2 cup cooked broccoli - is the size of a scoop of ice cream

1/2 cup serving - is 6 asparagus spears; 7 or 8 baby carrots or carrot sticks

or 1 ear of corn on the cob

Fruits (2 to 4 servings)

A serving is:

• • 1 apple, banana, or orange or

• • 1/2 cup of chopped, cooked, or canned fruit

Picture:

1/2 cup of grapes (15 grapes) - is the size of a light bulb

1 medium size fruit - is the size of a tennis ball

meat, Poultry, Fish, Dry Beans, eggs and Nuts (2 to 3 servings)

A serving is:

• • 2 to 3 ounces of cooked lean meat, poultry or fish

Eating one of these foods is the same as eating

1 ounce of meat:

• • 1/2 cup of cooked dry Beans or

• • 1 egg or

Picture:

1 tablespoon Peanut Butter - is the size of a ping pong ball

3 ounces cooked meat, fish, poultry - is the size of a deck of cards or a cassette tape

3 ounces cooked chicken - is the size of a chicken leg and thigh or breast

Milk, Yogurt, and cheese (2 to 3 servings)

A serving is:

• • 1 cup milk or

• • 1 1/2 to 2 ounces of cheese or

• • 1 cup yogurt

Picture:

1 1/2 ounces cheese - is the size of a 9-volt battery or 3 dominoes

1 ounce of cheese - is the size of a pair of dice

1 cup of ice cream - is the size of a large scoop the size of a baseball

Fats, Oil, and Sweets (use sparingly)

1 -teaspoon butter, margarine - is the size of a stamp or the thickness of a pencil

2 tablespoons Salad Dressing - is the size of a ping pong ball

Your doctor needs to tell you how many calories you should be having each day since your weight and situation are unique. You definately want to be having a minimum of 1200, which is what the body requires just to function.

So I have some questions:

I read on here somewhere there are "issues" about soy for men. Of course that's all that was said. I looked on line and can't find anything. I don't use a lot but I actually like the taste and convenience soy milk.

What's the deal with Carbs in food - there are good carbs and bad carbs. How do I make a smart choice when looking at a label as it relates to carbs?

Thanks for the help

Good question. First the issue with soy for men. Unless they are allergic to it, they can have it. There were some rumors regarding fertility function, but that has yet to be actually verified.

Now with carbs, the best way to define the difference between good and bad is that bad carbs are full of sugar and white flour, which send blood sugar levels skyrocketing upwards. Simple sugars are considered bad carbs. Simple sugars are broken down quickly by your body and result in a surge in blood sugar. They essentially wreck havoc in your body and their consumption should be kept to a minimum. Excess consumption of simple sugars can even contribute to the development of diabetes.

Complex carbohydrates are considered good carbs. Complex carbs are broken down more slowly and do not result in a spike in blood sugar.

So in basic english, we all know that chips, Cookies, ect.. are bad carbs. And that veggies are good carbs. Most processed food are bad carbs because they have lots of excess salt in them to preserve the food.

Why don't you give me a list of foods you like or were considering to eat and couldn't tell if they were bad or good carbs and I will break it down for you.

I'll bite!! I'm fairly careful about following the plan. I originally had surgery on Dec. 12, 2007 and had 3 fills. I subsequently had 2 slight unfills, with today being my first fill in 6 months. I workout at least 45-50 minutes 5 days a week. I watch what I eat, and yet I'm not losing many pounds. (I'm down about 75-80 now...) Ideally, I'd like to lose another 45-55 pounds. I expected to struggle with the LAST 10 when I got close, but this doesn't make sense. I do build muscle easily, but my workouts are almost entirely cardio now to avoid building muscle. I thought this would all be a simple mathematical equation--I eat less than I expend and I should lose weight. I should mention that I went about 2 months before losing much weight initially. Please, tell me that as long as I keep at it, the weight will start to come off again? I'm working so much harder at this than most of the people I know, and I just want this to work. What can I do to jump start the weight loss again? (I went for a fill because I had little to no restriction for a while....) Suggestions, please?! I've tried changing up my workout, increasing Protein, even liquids for a few days here and there. I lose 1-2 pounds, but seem to gain it back on. I've been at the same weight--within 5 pounds or so--since August. Help, please.... :thumbup:

Congratulations on losing 75-80 so far. That is a big accomplishment in itself.

First, I need to know what kinds of cardio you are doing 5 days a week. Also, please give me 3 days of exactly what you are eating.

You are able to lose the weight. It just sounds like your body is leveling out and needs a good kick in the ass. I can tell you exactly where to kick it, when you provide the information requested above.

Good job so far ! :tongue2:

I'm interested in this as well...do you recommend an Atkins like high Protein diet (less fruit/veg and of course carbs), or a more reg. balanced diet?

Atkins does work, if you can tolerate it. It can get boring after awhile. I would try the Atkins diet, but make sure you are eating some of his recommended fruits and veggies. Most people think he is totally against them, but he isn't. He likes only certain fruits and veggies that carry less carbs than others.

Let me know how it turns out for you.

I have a question. I have a problem with high potassium. I have tried to find a substitute for milk. I thought the lactose free would be the answer, but found out it has the same potassium as regular milk. My lap band doctor says to eat more Protein and my kidney doctor says eat less Protein. I drink 6 scoops of biatric meal with two glasses of milk a day. So far I am doing ok, but my potassium jumped to 6.1 when I first started. If I try to drink it with Water it upsets my stomach. Any suggestions?

Definately listen to your kidney doctor. I had a kidney transplant in 1995 and I know you can cause problems with too much protein. What are you seeing a kidney doctor for? (if you don't mind me asking). The most common cause of a high potassium level is an impaired kidney. The kidneys are responsible for excreting potassium. When the kidney is not functioning normally, it will not be able to excrete the potassium. Has your kidney doctor mentioned this to you?

So your goal to lower your potassium levels? First, does this biatric meal you are having two glasses of each day carry any potassium in it that could be offsetting your levels at all?

If not, do you carry a predisposition to diabetes? If you have type 1 diabetes, you are also susceptible to a high potassium level. People with diabetes often have reduced kidney capacity. This coupled with a lack of insulin will cause Fluid and potassium to seep into the blood stream and cause a high potassium level.

Your best substitute for milk is to take Tums for Calcium or rely on eating cheese, which carries less potassium. Unfortunately,even goats milk carries a high % of potassium.

i am eating 3 meals and day and light healthy Snacks but cant seem to reach the calorie goal!! im eating till i'm full and having balanced meals and enough Protein. i am having about 800 calories a day or less and have stopped loosing any weight. i'm not sure how to up my calories without eating unhealthy foods???? i havent even had a fill yet either so im thinking its only gonna get worse coz i'll be able to eat even less!! im also exercising at the gym doing cardio for about 40- 50 mins a day starting 4 days ago to see if that would boost my weight loss?? can you help please???

I love free help!

I am 30 days post op and had my first fill on this past thursday on 12-11-08. My doctor says I am doing well. I am down over 20lbs. I am just worried about what I should be eating. when I do eat I stop when I am full and I am fine after that. I was raised on soul food so that consists of lots of carbs. I not sure what I should be eating and what my plate should look like. for example for dinner I had 2 baked chicken wings some mashed potatoes and some peas. I ate my chicken and my veggies and didnt finishe my potatoes because I was full. am i doing the right thing?

Congratulations on losing 75-80 so far. That is a big accomplishment in itself.

First, I need to know what kinds of cardio you are doing 5 days a week. Also, please give me 3 days of exactly what you are eating.

You are able to lose the weight. It just sounds like your body is leveling out and needs a good kick in the ass. I can tell you exactly where to kick it, when you provide the information requested above.

Good job so far ! :tongue2:

I actually had my first fill last week since April. I am finally losing again. I actually think I wasn't eating enough. I'm doing at least 14-20 miles a week on the treadmill---I'm limiting my workouts to cardio because I build muscle really fast--and while I know it may rev up your metabolism, I'm the ONLY woman I know who manages to bulk up at Curves..... So now, I'm focusing on eating everything right--following the rules and making sure I eat enough. Thanks for offering though. My scale is finally moving again. :thumbup:

Question To Nutrionist - when we get to a proper restriction level and are only able to eat small portions, how are we supposed to get the proper amt of Protein? Kind of hard to do for me right now since I am only able to eat maybe 1-2 oz of protein each meal.

i am eating 3 meals and day and light healthy Snacks but cant seem to reach the calorie goal!! im eating till i'm full and having balanced meals and enough Protein. i am having about 800 calories a day or less and have stopped loosing any weight. i'm not sure how to up my calories without eating unhealthy foods???? i havent even had a fill yet either so im thinking its only gonna get worse coz i'll be able to eat even less!! im also exercising at the gym doing cardio for about 40- 50 mins a day starting 4 days ago to see if that would boost my weight loss?? can you help please???

You are not eating enough calories. You need to be at a minimum of 1200 per day. I would cut back on the aerobics to 2-3 times per week because you are causing your body to burn more calories than the 1200 you are not eating and you will make yourself sick. You have put your body into starvation mode and you will not lose any weight.

Now on bringing up your calories. I would suggest:

Healthy but High Calorie Food:

NUTS – Although most nuts contain heart-healthy monounsaturates and other helpful ingredients, they are high in calories and fat. Just watch how many handfuls you are eating especially with drinks. Count the calories!

BANANAS – Highly nutritious with plenty of useful minerals and Vitamins, bananas are a healthy snack but remember 1 medium/118g banana carries 115.6kcals.

Peanut Butter – Healthy with monounsaturated fats but just one Teaspoon/10g spread over a slice of bread carries 62.3kcals. In general watch out for spreads. Even when spread thinly they can push up the day’s calorie count by quite a lot.

FRUIT JUICES, PURE – Drinking a glass of fruit juice is a healthy option counting towards your 5 a day fruit & vegetable quota. But do watch how many glasses you are drinking. A glass at Breakfast and then a couple throughout the day could mean you are unwittingly notching up a lot of calories.

Orange juice, 1 Glass/200ml = 87.7kcals

Drink 3 glasses and you have totalled 260kcals

pineapple Juice, 1 Glass/200ml = 100kcals

Drink 3 glasses and you have totalled 300kcals

Apple Juice, 1 Glass/200ml = 94kcals

Drink 3 glasses and you have totalled 282kcal

Grapefruit Juice, 1 Glass/200ml = 76kcals

Drink 3 glasses and you have totalled 228kcals

YOGHURTS – There are endless different yoghurts on the market today – fat free, low fat, natural, lite, and healthy. Yoghurts carry a healthy image. But you do need to be careful with which choices you are making regardless of what the packaging says. A product from Sainsbury’s – Natural Yoghurt With Honey, Greek Style, oozes connotations of being good for you and healthy but one 150g pot has 243kcals.

PastaPasta is not necessarily as high in calories as you might think. A 75g serving of Pasta Twirls which is a reasonable portion contains 259.5kcals and with a Tomato based sauce can make a filling and nutritious meal that does not overload the calories. The idea that pasta is packed with calories comes from portion sizes which can be too high. A 100g serving notches up 346kcals. Watch the portions and be careful with the olive oil and cream.

DRESSINGSdressings can liven up any salad. In liquid form and just a Tablespoon used it’s easy to think dressings carry minimal calories. A 1 Tbsp serving of different dressings can carry between 50 to 80+ kcals alone:-

1 Tbsp/15g/15ml Serving:-

Caesar, Classic, Sainsbury’s

= 66.3kcals

Caesar, Gourmet, Waitrose

= 71.9kcals

Caesar, Somerfield

= 82.1kcals

Caesar, Tesco

= 71.3kcals

Caesar, Loyd Grossman

= 51.3kcals

Italian, Newman’s Own

= 81.8kcals

Texas Ranch, Frank Cooper

= 81.8kcals

French, Morrisons

= 74.9kcals

French, Somerfield

= 73.5kcals

French, Co-Op

= 70kcals

BREAKFAST CEREALSBreakfast is an important meal and kick-starts your day. Get into the habit of eating breakfast but make it a healthy option not one which will start off your day by over-doing the calories. There are loads of breakfast Cereal options. Most make a healthy choice but guessing at portion sizes makes it easy to over-fill your bowl. If you are eating 10 or 20 grams more of your chosen cereal each day than the recommended portion size it's easy to overdo the calories.

Corn Flakes, Kellogg’s

1 Serving/30g gives you 111kcals

1 Serving/50g gives you 185kcals

Difference of 74kcals

Over a 7 day period a difference of 518kcals

A LITTLE BIT OF BUTTER OR MARGARINE – A piece of bread and butter seems harmless enough. Many will concentrate on the calorie content of the bread and believe it to be loaded with calories. But how much butter are you actually spreading?

Butter or Margarine, Average

Thin Spread/7g = 51.4kcals

A blob/10g = 73.5kcal

Thick Spread/12g = 88.2kcals

Lashings/15g = 110.2kcals

The piece of bread toasted is not the problem!

Bread, Brown, Toasted 1 Slice/24g = 65.3kcals

Bread, White, Toasted 1 Slice/24g = 63.6kcals

Also, I would check out Sprouts, ect to see if they carry a higher calorie Protein Drink that you can have each day. You don't need to eat junk food to get your calories, just the right fatty healthy food.< /span>

Hope this helps! Let me know.