Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Having problems with new clothes

Okay, I am weird, I hate to shop for clothes. It has always been painful, nothing fit, and I always felt humilitated.

Once I begun to loose a lot I went out and bought a couple things. I refused to go into the little hot sweaty try on room, so I guessed. My pants were too big, but much small than what I was wearing. Shirts, I tried them on over my clothes. I guessed with undies. How are you suppose to know!?!?!?!?

Well - I am buying the wrong sizes. My daughter bought me some undies, okay I am dumb, I have no idea what size I wear. THEY FIT. Two sizes smaller than I just purchased. I cannot believe it. She also bought me two tops which I was sure would not fit, would be WAY TOO TIGHT. They fit, smaller size than I bought when I went out. In fact, on shirt is a little big, but it will work for a month or so. The shirts I bought, good grief!

I am having trouble with my body image. How do you do this? I am so afraid I will go in the the size will be the same as it use to be. Undies, what do you do about that.

Before I kept gaining weight. It was easy, just buy two sizes higher, you know, you stretch out your jeans until the seams bust and then you just get two sizes or so bigger. Usually they fit. Same for undies. Didn't have to worry.

Now, are these sizes for real???!!!??? I am serious. Help me, I can't wear an 18-20, that is too small. This is so stupid, but serious too. I have lost 50 pounds, but my clothes were from the beginning of the year and I have lost almost 70 from that, I lost almost 20 pounds before I saw the Surgeon from nerves.

Just any help would be nice. I know I should accept that the size fits, but I just don't believe it and I just can't face the stores. Debbie :thumbup:

You need to stop looking at "sizes" it is a sure way to drive yourself crazy. Currently in my closet I have size 12 pants, and size 4 pants and every size in between, and they ALL fit me.

You need to get over your despise of the change room. Find pants that you like, grab them in 4 different sizes and buy ONE pair that fit.

For undies, just buy one pair at a time. If they fit, and hold up well in the wash then go and buy a few more exactly the same.

In terms of bras........this is where I spend the majority of my clothing money. I ONLY go to the type of bra store that sells high end bras and has someone fit you for the bra.

Due to my changing size, since i started this journey I only have one bra that fits properly. I just wash it a lot. It cost me about $150.00 - so you can see why I have only one per size.

I buy a lot of clothes second hand also, this helps out with the budget, when your weight is going down, and your shape is changing.

Debbie, accept that you have lost a lot of weight. You have to let the "fat girl" go. You have moved beyond her. If you really can't stand shopping, ask your daughter to buy a few more things from the same store in the same sizes. Also, measure yourself around your hips (undies usually have hip sizes on the back of the package) to get your undies size. I am stil wearing the same size right now because I was OBVIOUSLY in denial about how big I had gotten. Now the clothes that I THOUGHT fit, are fitting the way a normal person would wear them.:thumbup: Who knew?:wink2:

add me in this group.

And the undies thing... ya'll will laugh, but I haven't bought new ones since having the twins. So i walk around pulling up my undies. I guess it's time for me to get new ones. :thumbup:

I did break down and bought a pair of pants that tie in the waist. They look like a sack on me, as they're much bigger than I am. :wink2: God that felt good to say.

teri

Ladies ... YOu are missing on some fun of trying new sizes ... I m trying everything i get my hands on in normal sizes ... I used to shop from Big Girls department but now i fit size 18 and i m trying it all ... ok some items get me dissappointed but in general it is nice to see me fit in things i never dreamed of ... and i m buying few things at a time ... and throwing way too much clothes ... my closet is now almost empty ....

Mine's pretty bare too. I do have to get shopping, but right now money is tight, with holidays. I'm living off the stuff from the clothing exchange.

I am buying things slowly. I got three tank tops, and they are already fitting. I wear them year round.

teri

Thank you all so much for being understanding.

Yes I know I have to get over my phobia, but it is kind of deep. The dreaded "closet" of a changing room and then the shame that the biggest size didn't fit. When that happened at Lane Giant, I started going to the Avenue. But it is VERY embarrassing.

I do agree about the bras. My Mom and I cut my straps and made them tighter, that has lasted a month but now the girls are hanging low. I was told that they would look like two wet tube socks hanging from your shoulders. I laughed, yeah right. So I am going to this place near here, Wizzard of Bras, they fit you. I think I would like a nice PADDED one.

Hey, it's not fair. God give you nice boobs to compensate for your weight, right. So what does he take away first!!!!!! :)

I will try used to find a used clothes store, but I did go to Walmart, but you are all right. I need to take in 4 sizes, and take one of the smallest I think possible and try them all on. Also, I think I will take someone with me.

Thank you so much. Thank goodness I didn't throw away my "skinny" clothes. Almost 8 years old and now they too are getting big. Oh Well. :biggrin: Debbie

Stupidly, I gave away most of my "skinny" clothes about 6 months before I made the decision to have wls.

Teri

My jeans don't go down to 4, but they vary from 14, 12, 10's. Yesterday I had on a pair of 14's figured they'd be comfy, NOT! They were the regular waisted, I thought I'd come unglued by the time I got home. I thought because they were a little big the "regular" waist wouldn't bother me. I felt like my entire body was in a vise, LOL. I love my 10s and 12s that are low waisted, never again with those waist fitted jeans.

I'm on a mission to find some corduroy type jeans today, they're so much more comfy.

Stupidly, I gave away most of my "skinny" clothes about 6 months before I made the decision to have wls.

Teri

You know normally that is me. This is the fist time I didn't trash them, but I know I thought seriously about doing it. I did toss some, I am missing some stuff, I think, but it was SO LONG AGO - who can remember.

Yeah, those waists are a pain in the tushie. I love Cords.....

Oh and those damn Walmart pants - they shrunk, in the length, in the rise (now hip huggers), but not in the waist and legs. So they are big except they are low and short......

Good Grief!

And now, all the small tops that were snug I swear just a month ago are huge. AND - Has anyone seen my boobs! I use to have boobs. Someone must have stollen them in my sleep, or perhaps they are hiding in my turkey arms! I should be so lucky to get some biceps! Stupid boobs! :smile2:

Why can't the but disappear so quickly!!!!!

Don't you hate those low rise pants? OMG anyone that's been obese or had kids, they just don't fit right. I'll bite the bullet and go to the local consignment shop Saturday looking for something decent to wear for the holidays. I always dress up for Christmas, but I've NOTHING nice to wear.

teri

Don't you hate those low rise pants? OMG anyone that's been obese or had kids, they just don't fit right. I'll bite the bullet and go to the local consignment shop Saturday looking for something decent to wear for the holidays. I always dress up for Christmas, but I've NOTHING nice to wear.

teri

Ok, not just the low rise pants, I am from the 60-70's so we wore hip huggers, but how about those stupid THONGS. I have spent most of my adult life picking my undies out of my butt, I don't want to have some damn string up my bum on purpose. And, since we are on clothes, when did it become okay to show your undies. It's the fashion to show the triangle and sides of your thong?????

Consignment will have something nice for Christmas. A lot of people get dressed up and some never want to wear the same thing twice.

I have something I have to wear before it doesn't fit. I wore it once to a Christmas Party. It was years ago, and I am I think twenty pounds lighter than I was when I wore it, but I is nice.

I had spent $150.00 on a Christmas Party outfit I wore once, that I just gave away, a Velvet Jacket and Skirt. But it was from my highest weight and that was over 70 pounds ago. That day I was lucky to find anything that fit I was so large. I would have paid anything so I was not embarrased at the party.

I wish we had consignment. My Walmart pants were not such a terrific idea after all. Live and learn. But I am not spending a lot of money right now.

Let me know what you find. Soon we will have to post before and after pics. Yeah like I take pictures of myself! :cursing:

Take Care Debbie

OMG you're so right.

We have several consignment and donation type stores here. Like we have a hospice and pallitive care second hand shop. They sell clothes and all sorts of other stuff donated to them. We have one that is strictly a consignment shop. We have two other second hand shops that are church run. I'll be checking them out too.

It's funny, over the last two years I've done ZERO photos of myself. Then all of a sudden (literally) I decided to do this, and took before, and have taken them monthly since (on the first of each month). I haven't taken December's yet. My camera batteries need charging. I'll be taking them over the weekend at the very latest. Not that I see any difference in how things fit this month.

Teri

I love my low rise jeans, only since I've lost the weight and had a tummy tuck! At my age, I can't stand pressure around my waist or pants that cut me in the crotch, talk about miserable. I'm totally into comfort, if I find jean that fit better than others, I'll buy two or three pairs. Do you have a Dress Barn close by? They make the most comfortable jeans and they have good sales on their holiday clothes.

You know I never was one for used clothes but it is definetly the way to go. You drop sizes so fast you will go broke trying to keep up.

There was a time when I had every piece of clothing in a pile to go to goodwill even my shoes(I was a wide).

It has been interesting gaining since losing the band, but now rebanded I have some restriction so I have a whole closet of clothes that will fit about 20 lbs down again.