Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone getting banded in January

Hi Everyone. This is my first time to post - I've been lurking for a couple of months - but hesitated to jump in until I knew that this was going to happen. I got my approval this week and my surgery date is set for Tuesday, January 6th! Like many, I'm so excited and a bit anxious, too. But, I've never been as heavy as I am now and I know that if I don't do something about it - a permanent solution - I'm headed for a lot of health problems.

I've read so much, both on the official Lap Band web site, my doctor's website and now all of the forums on lap band talk. So, technically, I feel I know what is about to happen and am confident that I am prepared, but emotionally I don't know. But, be that as it may, I am ready to take this leap because nothing else has worked in keeping the weight off permanently.

I'm looking forward to coming here for support! :tt1:

HI wtbgone!! You sound just like me!! I read everything on these forums for a couple months before I joined in.. I too feel like I am physically prepared, but I am worried about the emotional side of it, but I felt like I had no other choice to keep the weight off permanantly!! :thumbup:

I'm getting banded January 29th and I can't wait!! Good luck to you and keep us posted on your progress!!:tongue2:

hi all

i just saw that there's a chat room on here. we should set aside maybe a 2 hour window once a week where we get together and chat. of course you dont have to chat that whole 2 hours (who has the time). We could just jump in the room to talk live, share ideas, answer questions, vent etc. let me know what you all think.

welcome to the new hotties:-)

hi all

i just saw that there's a chat room on here. we should set aside maybe a 2 hour window once a week where we get together and chat. of course you dont have to chat that whole 2 hours (who has the time). We could just jump in the room to talk live, share ideas, answer questions, vent etc. let me know what you all think.

welcome to the new hotties:-)

Sounds great - I'm in!!! Let me know when and I'll be there!!

BTW, can anyone tell me how to jazz up my profile??

Kimberlyea, what ins.do u have? I think some don't require much, just a referral from your primary. My ins. (BCBS) required that I take the 5 nutrition classes from the program that my surgeon is affliated w/ and I had the visit w/ my primary, sleep study, ekg, psych eval., barium swallow, and something else I can't remember rt. now.

I have BCN in MI. It will start in Jan. The insurance I have now doesn't cover anything!!! I am making an appt with my primary doctor tomorrow and talk everything over with her... I wish that I would have started this process a long time ago, I have thought about it for so long that it seems like I should be able to just go and do it already!! I know I want it, I don't feel like I need to beg my way through the process. I just hope that I don't go through all of the hoops and then get rejected by insurance. I am not really unhealthy(except for being overweight) but I am borderline diabetic. and my family history is HORRIBLE! heart attacks, diabetes...have already lost a sister and almost lost both of my brothers last year....I know that it's just a matter of time for me, and why wait to get to that point? I have 5 kids that I need to think of...this is really an informative site, I appreciate all of your stories and updates... it's really inspirational... thanks

ok...i need some advice

my husband is very scared for me to have this surgery. are any of you dealing with a very nervous family member that does not want you to do it. he is very supportive of my decision but i know he doesnt want me to do it.

he is thin so i told him a thin person will not understand fully what an OW person is going through. i think he understands that i really want this, he probably just thinks it could have been done w/o surgery. i dont know how to make him feel better and i dont want his feelings to cloud my decision. my bmi is 55 o i know i need this. im nervous about the surgery too but im a high risk everyday.

plz help

Hey i know the feeling i have a couple of family members and even friends that feel that same way. And I am also nervous. BUT if we continue down the path that we are heading they are going to be more concerned later on! this is a chance to be healther before it gets to late. my advice to you would be to tell him that you understand how he's feeling but now you want him to understand how your feeling. good luck!

ok...i need some advice

my husband is very scared for me to have this surgery. are any of you dealing with a very nervous family member that does not want you to do it. he is very supportive of my decision but i know he doesnt want me to do it.

he is thin so i told him a thin person will not understand fully what an OW person is going through. i think he understands that i really want this, he probably just thinks it could have been done w/o surgery. i dont know how to make him feel better and i dont want his feelings to cloud my decision. my bmi is 55 o i know i need this. im nervous about the surgery too but im a high risk everyday.

plz help

My husband is supportive of my getting surgery, but I need to point out that he has never said anything neg to me abut being overweight. That's all fine and good, but I wasn't' overweight when we met, so I know that isn't what he was attracted to, but we have been together about 20 yrs(boy that makes me feel old)and our love is way deeper than appearance.

When you talk about it with your husband does he have fear of the actual surgery, or does he think that you'll change or what??? Maybe he is just scared of change....just point out all of the positive aspects that will come out of it....there are sooo many! good luck and take care

hi

thx for the responses so far. from talking to him i think he is afraid something might go wrong. i guess that's a normal feeling anytime a loved one is put to sleep and operated on. i know it will be a long hour (or so) for him. i'll just have to keep talking to him, he might not ever feel comfy.

thx all

Hey Everyone,

my husband is also both supportative and nervous about me having the surgergy. Truthfully, I think I would be a little upset if he weren't! Ya know what I mean? It would seem as if he didn't care ! :frown:

Anyway, I've told him about what I've read, even sent him my doctor's website where he has a video posted of the surgery itself and all of his patients' before and after photos. He knows how unhappy I am with myself - so, even though he is anxious about me undergoing "the knife" and something in his mind is very drastic - he is supportative.

I will keep you guys posted on how mine goes on the 6th. Any news on us starting our own January forum?:)

Thanks, Sandy

There are alot of other reasons for surgery too, and not to trivialize this procedure, if you have an experienced surgeon, things should be fine. I had a laproscopic hysterectemy in June and had no issues or problems. People need thier appendix removed, cysts, etc. Any surgery is liable to go wrong, but most don't.

My boyfriend is supportive and nervous too. He doesn't want anything to go wrong, but he loves me for who I am, not what I look like, as I'm sure your husband does.

I can't wait for my approval and will be shouting it to all as soon as I know.

Happy Holidays.

KayVee

There are alot of other reasons for surgery too, and not to trivialize this procedure, if you have an experienced surgeon, things should be fine. I had a laproscopic hysterectemy in June and had no issues or problems. People need thier appendix removed, cysts, etc. Any surgery is liable to go wrong, but most don't.

My boyfriend is supportive and nervous too. He doesn't want anything to go wrong, but he loves me for who I am, not what I look like, as I'm sure your husband does.

I can't wait for my approval and will be shouting it to all as soon as I know.

Happy Holidays.

KayVee

you brought up alot of good points. i guess most ppl dont don't think of WL surgery in that aspect.

Hey Everyone,

my husband is also both supportative and nervous about me having the surgergy. Truthfully, I think I would be a little upset if he weren't! Ya know what I mean? It would seem as if he didn't care ! :frown:

Anyway, I've told him about what I've read, even sent him my doctor's website where he has a video posted of the surgery itself and all of his patients' before and after photos. He knows how unhappy I am with myself - so, even though he is anxious about me undergoing "the knife" and something in his mind is very drastic - he is supportative.

I will keep you guys posted on how mine goes on the 6th. Any news on us starting our own January forum?:)

Thanks, Sandy

hi

i do know what you mean and im happy that he is concerned but his worrying is causing me to worry more and i dont need to start doubting my decision. i know im making a good decision i've put this off until i felt i was ready for it. after trying for so many years on my own i know i have to do something to be healthy.

im so happy i found this site, it seems like we all deal with the same stuff. its just good to post then within a few hours i get what i need to make me feel better.

:mellow:

hi. i'm getting banded january 5th. i have all my pre-op tests coming up this friday on dec. 19th. i'm excited, nervous and just ready to have it done all at the same time.