Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post op diet phases

I had my surgery this past Thu (11/20). I am suppose to be on thin liquids for 2 weeks, then thick liquids for 2 weeks, and THEN I get soft foods. So basically I'm a month away from any sort of food.

I'm really thinking, hoping, whatever, that at my follow up appt. on Dec. 5th that he gives me to go ahead to move on to soft foods. I cannot lose weight like this. I'm not talking about anything more than yogurt, or eggs, or oatmeal. Just anything that will give me some calories. I also feel like this sets me up for failure. That's 5 weeks on liquids, it seems a bit extreme.

I can swallow my regular meds with no problems, and I have flown through this thing without breaking a sweat. I haven't even had to take OTC pain relievers. The day of surgery he gave the order for me to move on to day 2 of the plan the nutritionist gave me. I'm definitely going to ask him about it.

How long were you on liquids after your surgery?

Edited by MellyB

I actually think you are lucky! My post op diet is 6 weeks+! I was Clear Liquids 2 days after surgery, then full liquids for 1 week, now I'm on mushies and I'm supposed to do that for 4 weeks then I get soft foods for 2 weeks! I'm currently on week 2 for mushies.

I had my surgery this past Thu (11/20). I am suppose to be on thin liquids for 2 weeks, then thick liquids for 2 weeks, and THEN I get soft foods. So basically I'm a month away from any sort of food.

I'm really thinking, hoping, whatever, that at my follow up appt. on Dec. 5th that he gives me to go ahead to move on to soft foods. I cannot lose weight like this. I'm not talking about anything more than yogurt, or eggs, or oatmeal. Just anything that will give me some calories. I also feel like this sets me up for failure. That's 5 weeks on liquids, it seems a bit extreme.

I can swallow my regular meds with no problems, and I have flown through this thing without breaking a sweat. I haven't even had to take OTC pain relievers. The day of surgery he gave the order for me to move on to day 2 of the plan the nutritionist gave me. I'm definitely going to ask him about it.

How long were you on liquids after your surgery?

What state are you from? It seems like each state is different. I had 1 day of clear liquids, then 7 days of full liquids, then 7 days of mushies. I'm still in the "full liquid" phase and am dying for some food.< /p>

I was banded on 11-10-08 and was on clear liquids for one week, full liquids for weeks 2-3-4, and start mushies on week 5. so far I'm doing great, If I get hungry between meals, I have some broth.< /p>

I have 3 weeks of full liquids, cream Soups, cream of wheat, yogurt ect......

I am very depressed over the fact that I can not enjoy the thanksgiving day.

I kinda know how you feel!

Keri

I had my surgery on November 3rd. For 10 days PRE op I was on a liquid diet of only Jello, yogurt, cottage cheese and Protein shakes. For ten days POST op I was on the diet also but without yogurt or Protein Shakes. Then ten days after they let me move to soft foods.

You will be alright, the reason you have to do it is because your muscles in your stomach contract when moving food so if you eat food that your stomach needs to move through ie, not soft foods or liquids, your band could slip. It's giving your stomach time to heal around the band without causing any chance of slippage.

Hi. I was banded on 11/10 and I had no problem the first week with the clear liquids, and the second week with the full liquid diet, I lasted about 3 days. I was starving!! I had a post op appointment with my surgeon, and I told him I was hungry, so he said eat. I went from full liquids to regular foods that quick. I don't recommend this for everyone, but it is working for me.

Hi I was banded on Monday, November 24. I am on clear liquids for three days, then full liquids for 5 days. Then on "mushies" for three weeks. I feel pretty good, some pain directly above my belly button--bloated! Ugh. Did anyone else gain a few pounds right after surgery from the bloat?

I was 248 morning of surgery 11-10 and when I got home on 11-11 I was 255. Today I am 243. Just stick with what your Dr / nutritionalist says and you'll be fine. Some times I do get hungry, I'm not sure , it might just be head hunger, But have some yogert or cottage cheese, something with Protein.< /p>

Mine was a 4 week plan . . . 1 of Clear liquids, 1 of full liquids, 1 of mushies, 1 of softs and then on to normal food by week 5.

It does seem like a long time and not easy . . . but definitely wait to see your doctor before you progress it. They do give you permission to progress from time to time depending on how you are doing.

Being on liquids during Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays is very hard, so I commend you for it. Hang in there, you can make it through if you keep positive and what is a few weeks compared to the rest of your life.

The post-op diet is extremely important for healing . . . but I think that there is one more reason for it just as important as healing . . . reframing your mind-set to get used to banded life.

I have never seen statistics on this, but I had always assumed that the people that find the most success are the ones who follow doctors instructions for the first two months of banding. Those who are non-compliant at this stage are much more likely to find limited success later on.

It seems like every doctor is different. Did you get the Lab Band booklet Post op from the hospital? The book is from the makers of the lapband. It is very informational about what to eat, how to eat, when to eat and fills. My doctor does the 3 week clear liquid diet, 1 week thicker clear liquid, 1 week mushies, 1 week chunky, then finally regular food. So I am in the middle of week 2 clear liquid. I can't stand the Protein Shakes anymore either, so now I am trying to figure out what to drink besides Special K Protein water!!

I was band on 11/03/08 and I had to do 2 days of clear liquids, 4 weeks of liquid, 2 weeks of soft food and then I can start trying regular foos little bit at a time. Right now I'm still in liquids and by next week I'll be eating soft food and by Dec 25 that's when I can start "regular" food so X-mas present for me!!!!

Hi, I was banded on 11/11/08 was on clear liquids week one and week two full liquids. Today was my first post-op doctor appointment and my doctor said to start mushies. I believe the mushie stage is either one or two weeks in length depending how I tolerate the stage.