Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have failed my band - SUPPORT GROUP

Hi Everyone,

I would really like to see this thread get up and running again.

To all of you original, earlier posters out there - where are you??

I think I have just "ignored" the fact that I'm banded. I have stopped working it, stopped thinking about it (except when I can't eat, which is rare anymore as I'm not filled), stopped seeing it as a tool for weight loss, and have even stopped mentioning it unless medically necessary. I don't even consider myself as a real WLS patient anymore. However, I am just fooling myself.

I have joined and quit weight watchers 3 times since I've been banded (February, 2008) and have not lost a pound, been on numerous reduced calorie diets and have not lost any weight, seen a dietitian for years and even currently have a trainer and my weight has even been slightly increasing. Been told my metabolism is shot.

I'm trying (again) for a revision with my insurance company. I was denied last October. I remember what happened when I was approved for the band back then - my confidence, motivation and self esteem returned. My drive grew and I found it easier to make better decisions about what I ate. It was a new day!

Calling fellow banders for support and camaraderie!

Where are you?

I also had my band in 2008 and I now weigh 13 pounds more than I did when I had mine placed. I don't recognize myself in the mirror and I certainly do not like what I see. I am filled with self loathing of my body and I need to change my life. I've been exercising regularly for a few months but the weight continues to creep up. I need help and I don't know what to do. I feel I have too far to go that I don't know how to get started

I was banded in March 2014. I lost 50 pounds and was loving this. However after a few fills I started spitting up most of the time. Some times I can eat normal stuff, taking tiny bites and chewing really good, but more times than not I eat creamed Soups for dinner because I know I am not going to spit or throw up. Also, because it is Soup I overeat. Because of the horrible eating habit I have now formed I have gained 24 pounds back. Today I hate this band and wish that I had not gotten it. I don't want to feel that way, but I can't stand this.

I was banded Jan 2011 in TX, HW 268, LW 214, CW 264 - what the actual-F?!? I lost all that weight the first 6 months, I was so proud of myself. I did have occasional throwing up but I could always account for it, not chewing, too big a bite, etc. Nov 2011, I hit 214 and we moved to GA. Maintained that weight, didn't try to lose anything because that was a such a stressful year. 2014 things went sideways, depression about life/family kicked in and I started eating at night, snacking and generally eating around the band. I felt my pants fitting differently and took up residence in yoga pants and cute tops. We visited TN in spring 2013 and I was tight and vomited everything I tried to eat, we moved here that summer. It's been miserable, it took 8 months to get into a doctor and I honestly tried to follow band-rules because I was so tight. I get a doc, he deployed after 1 visit, the next chick I saw was so mean and told me I was fudging my food journal and fitbit steps and that I'm flat out not following the rules. She refused to take anything out of my 10cc band. We had 3 visits that were unpleasant, the last time I saw her my hubby came along, she was still ugly even though he gave his input on my actions. I quit trying at that point. To get any calories in, I started eating slider foods. I'm a carb addict, I know this, I own it, I like fancy breads with butter and one slice is never enough. I don't get truly hungry and when I do get hungry it's been 8 hours and I'm shaking because my sugar has dropped so low and i'm just trying to eat ANYTHING. I've finally gotten in to see another bariatric doctor and he's done a barium swallow and EGD and I'll see him in 2 weeks to get those results. I'm hoping to convert to vsg, i'd rather not have this device that makes me uncomfortable, unable to eat the things I should and has aided in keeping my self esteem down. I accept I need help, not sure if Tricare is gonna pay for me to get it.

You shouldn't be so hard on yourself, especially when your support is non existent, I posted a few weeks ago regarding the band, and I have a sleeve, but just like any procedure it should only be used as a tool along with other regiments, if you lost that much the positive is that you have it in you, but you will need to overcome your issues with depression and so on, I wax the opposite I was depressed last December having lost my last family member in 2013, my mom and I took it hard on the one year anniversary of her passing, so I chose this option only after getting myself together and making sure I could keep it together from there on, and I have, nothing is perfect in my life but I monitor myself on a day to day basis and recently realized I've become happier than ever, good luck you have what it takes, just make sure you and your surgeon are compatible, it went a long way for me to have all the support I did both by my team, and at home......... BTW I'm from San Antonio Tx.

I am happy to tell you that I will be having a revision to bypass. I'm reading all about the good and bad and I'm still so excited!!

It's great and I support the sleeve until something better comes along, I have to remind myself to eat sometimes, which is really weird for me........lmao

Reading the posts made me resolve to find another doctor to get up-to-date on my fills. I was banded in Oct '08 in Ft Worth by a great surgeon and good support staff. After we moved to Colo Springs, I ran into s myriad of problems, including moving the port. I am now covered by Medicare and as such essentially self-pay. Anyone know a good WLS Doctor in the Denver or Colo Springs area?

Hi Everyone,

I would really like to see this thread get up and running again.

To all of you original, earlier posters out there - where are you??

I think I have just "ignored" the fact that I'm banded. I have stopped working it, stopped thinking about it (except when I can't eat, which is rare anymore as I'm not filled), stopped seeing it as a tool for weight loss, and have even stopped mentioning it unless medically necessary. I don't even consider myself as a real WLS patient anymore. However, I am just fooling myself.

I have joined and quit weight watchers 3 times since I've been banded (February, 2008) and have not lost a pound, been on numerous reduced calorie diets and have not lost any weight, seen a dietitian for years and even currently have a trainer and my weight has even been slightly increasing. Been told my metabolism is shot.

I'm trying (again) for a revision with my insurance company. I was denied last October. I remember what happened when I was approved for the band back then - my confidence, motivation and self esteem returned. My drive grew and I found it easier to make better decisions about what I ate. It was a new day!

Calling fellow banders for support and camaraderie!

Where are you?

I also have these issues....no metabolism, ugh! Banded in 07 245pds, current 215pds.

I have a spinal cord injury and can't exercise with meaning!!

If i eat 800/900 cals a day, I store and do not lose. If I up to 1200+/- I lose at a rate of about 1 pound every couple months. I stall for 6-8 month intervals.

How is the revision?

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using the BariatricPal App

I can understand and support you with your frustrations, but when I was researching for my surgery ( it took me 2 years since it wasn't like buying a car for me) and Banding was the first one I ruled out, it had the most problems, complaints and bad stories, and only a few doctors still perform it, perhaps other alternatives should be looked at, although I know all of us are made differently and it will depend on who you are........ I went with a sleeve due to many factors including risk, I was sleeved in June 10th 2015, i began on January 2015 @ 388lbs, 346.6 on my surgery day, and today am at 248lbs but honestly there were a few setbacks and side effects, believe it or not the funniest one is also the most annoying, I sneeze through a whole meal when I eat almost every single time ( yes I've seen 3 doctors including my surgeon and have been told very thing from "your full" to " oh it's allergies" well no it's not) good luck and I wish you all the best

Edited by laguerr13

I was banded Sep 2013. Nov 2015 I got to my 'lowest' weight, losing about 55lbs. Not great, not where I wanted to be, but was still on the right path. Holidays hit and everything has gone down hill. I am currently up 25-30 lbs from my low, and last week I started having issues that the doc says is a slipped band. All Fluid has been removed, however none of the symptoms have gone away yet, he did say it would take a week or two. Current insurance will no longer cover any bariactrics, although we do change in Jan. I want to remove the band and have the sleeve done, but we will see how things go. Right now I feel so lost, discouraged and alone. Feel like I will never win the battle of having a healthy body, so I should just give up. I could really use some help from someone that understands.

I was banded Sep 2013. Nov 2015 I got to my 'lowest' weight, losing about 55lbs. Not great, not where I wanted to be, but was still on the right path. Holidays hit and everything has gone down hill. I am currently up 25-30 lbs from my low, and last week I started having issues that the doc says is a slipped band. All Fluid has been removed, however none of the symptoms have gone away yet, he did say it would take a week or two. Current insurance will no longer cover any bariactrics, although we do change in Jan. I want to remove the band and have the sleeve done, but we will see how things go. Right now I feel so lost, discouraged and alone. Feel like I will never win the battle of having a healthy body, so I should just give up. I could really use some help from someone that understands.

I did self pay to get rid of my band and revise to rny. Best thing I ever did. Can't believe I lived like i did for as long as I did.

I was banded about 3 years ago. Lost 30 pounds and then I stopped using the band the right way. I can't even remember what I'm supposed to do to do this correctly. My dr closed his practice and moved - I didn't seek out another Bariatric office, but I think that would be my first smart move. I don't need a fill, I'm not having problems- I'm just not losing weight.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App