Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

up and about

I'm having my band done Nov 24 in RI. Looking forward to it. Here's a ? for the banded men. How long after surgery before they got you up and walking around. How did you feel? Also, did anyone have to get a catheter? I'm told I have to have one for a day. Not too concerned when they put it in because I'll be asleep but taking it out well definately not my idea of fun. Any feedback guys??? :rolleyes: Thanks Bill

I was literally on the treadmill day after surgery and was able to walk around the mall. Different for everybody - I did not have a catheter and was discharged same day of surgery (around 4 hours after surgery)

Hey Bill, congrats on the date that is great news. My doctor required an overnight stay and discharge the next morning but I was up walking the halls that night (I also didn't have a catheter). My surgery was at 2:30 PM and I was in a room by around 7:00 with a couple of visitors but as soon as they left around 8:15 I was walking the halls with my IV rack in tow. I was also walking in the park near my house everyday there after. Everyone says to take Gas X and walk a lot and I completely agree. As mediummike said; everyone is different so listen to your body but don’t baby yourself either. If you feel you can walk do it! My opinion is that you want to engage in activity as soon as possible. Good luck and God speed.

Me and my brother were both up and about the next day, and back to work after a couple. The catheter doesn't sound fun...can you opt out of it :(

I'm having my band done Nov 24 in RI. Looking forward to it. Here's a ? for the banded men. How long after surgery before they got you up and walking around. How did you feel? Also, did anyone have to get a catheter? I'm told I have to have one for a day. Not too concerned when they put it in because I'll be asleep but taking it out well definately not my idea of fun. Any feedback guys??? :rolleyes2: Thanks Bill

Bill, put me down in the "no catheter" column. Also, I was up walking about 30 minutes after I "remember" waking up in recovery. I was a little sore for about 3 days, back to work on the 4th with no problems (my job is 80% desk job).

No catheter.

I was walking about 6 hours after surgery. Walking is easy. Twisting and getting upright with the new incisions is what hurts. Went home the next day and walked around the park for an hour in 15 minute chunks.

Walking is good. Plan for lots of it after surgery. It helps you get feeling normal again.

I'm having my band done Nov 24 in RI. Looking forward to it. Here's a ? for the banded men. How long after surgery before they got you up and walking around. How did you feel? Also, did anyone have to get a catheter? I'm told I have to have one for a day. Not too concerned when they put it in because I'll be asleep but taking it out well definately not my idea of fun. Any feedback guys??? :cursing: Thanks Bill

I had my surgery on 11/12/2008. I was overnite as well with no catheter. I was walking the next morning and tonight i will try the treadmill for the first time. Best of luck to you!! I am in Mass so if you have more questions feel free to ask.

No catheter here either. I was walking around the hospital unit the evening after surgery, and I went home the day after. The first couple of weeks I walked as much as I could because I knew that once I went back to work it would be harder to walk as much as I wanted to, so I took advantage of not having to work. Walking definitely helps with the gas, which is pretty bad the first few days.

Good luck,

Bryan

My doc said they may or may not have to do a catheter. I remember them waking me up still in the op room and asking me how I felt. I told them I had to piss and they said, "go ahead - you have a catheter in." That ticked me off because I'd hoped to have been able to avoid that. When I drifted back out they removed the catheter prior to going to the recovery room. But I have to say that the pain from the catheter was the worst part of the whole event for me. Every time I had to piss it felt like I was ON FIRE! :laugh: I finally learned that if you wait to piss until you REALLY REALLY have to go, it's not as bad once the flow gets going. If I went to the restroom everytime I got the urge I would start to go, then stop due to the pain, then start and stop etc. The pain was much less the second day and gone by the third.

My doc also required an overnight stay and I was up and walking around with hours of the end of the surgery. I felt good enough to go home.

Good luck! Brad