Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Restaurant card experience

I went to Capt. George's in Virginia Beach last night for dinner (not by choice, had to go with the flow). Since they are so expensive, I asked the manager about a discount due to bariatric surgery. I tried to be discreet even though my party is aware of my surgery. The manager said as long as I had the Restaurant Card I could show it to our server and the cost would be half price.

Well when the waiter came to the table I told him I needed to show him my card and he, very loudly said "Oh you mean for gastric bypass?".

So much for trying to be discreet. I was so embarrassed that he should threw my business out there to all the other patrons. I never use that stupid card and the first time I do the waiter has a big mouth!

To top it all off, he brought the bill, my father in law paid and the waiter comes back to the table and in a loud voice again says "Here's $15 back, I forgot to deduct for the gastric bypass"!!!!!

I'm still debating whether to write something to the manager. I really think their servers need to be educated and/or directed how to discreetly handle people with the restaurant cards.

I don't know that I'll ever use that card again :thumbup:

Sorry to hear about that...I would definitely complain to the manager!

Personally, I don't use the card. If there is not something appropriate in the Appetizer list then I order a regular meal and a "to go" container. I wrap about 2/3 of the meal then eat what is left. I can usually get at least three meals out of any regular menu item.

I would write a letter to CAPT George's, there's not excuse in that. If you are pulling him to the side to tell him something in a descrete voice, he should be able to figure that out. Totally UNSAT. You've convinced me not to go there again (haven't been since my band).

Sorry to hear about that. It amazes me how uncouth some folks can be!

I had a similar experience--we were at an all-you-can-eat buffet in Pennsylvania. We had come in a RV and had to park about 200 yards away, and I carried in my card, but left my ID in the RV. When I asked the cashier about getting a discount and showed her my card, she said I needed to show her ID to prove that the card belonged to me. Well, that pissed me off royally, and I wasn't about to walk all the way back to the RV, so I asked her, "You need proof? Wanna see my scars?" and proceeded to pull up my shirt to show her my month-old scars. Well, she got all flustered, my husband was about to die of embarrassment, and the other people in my party just laughed their heads off. Needless to say, I got my discount!

Carla, you should have done it right then and there, probably not much will be accomplished at this point...jerks!

Sad to hear about Ivy, he was so sick, he was a fun, fun guy! Not sure of all the details, I'm in Acapulco, but my daughter in law called and told me he had passed.

I see it's cold in VA, the weather here is awesome.

How are you doing with the WL? I'm going for a fill when I get back, I've had way too good of a time, too many "spirits", it's been over 1.5 year, so I guess it's time.

By the way, the only place I use the card is Golden Corral, yuk, I don't like the foods, only the Soup, so it's not often. One of my fav restaurants is Uno's, they have a fab' Soup bar for lunch.

Nice to see you on line...take care.

I got a card saying I have the band ans such my nurse said to use it in restaurants :blush:

I guess I need to check with my doctor's office then. Haven't heard a thing about it.

My doc DID mention the day of surgery that there is a card to let security know I have metal in my body if I go through a detector, but haven't heard another word about that either.

I'll ask when I go to my follow-up on Tuesday.

I got mine the morning after my surgery around 7 or 8 am in the morning

i got my card in post op papers i leave it in my wallet in case i have a wreck or something and cant talk they could see i have the band ...i dont use it i dont like other people to know i have issues with food ...i order Soup or eat off my bf plate ...

From the hospital no. My surgeon and his nurse practioner came in to check on me and gave me the card

Hm, I'll have to ask about it on Tuesday -- moreso as a medical notification in case of emergency than for restaurants.

I walked out of the hospital with one piece of paper.

I am sorry this experience happened to you. One of my jobs is a waitress and I am told to never ask questions, just do as the customer wants. The waiter and manager were extremely rude, and you should definitely call the customer service line or call the general manager of the restaurant.

Good luck.

Carla, you should have done it right then and there, probably not much will be accomplished at this point...jerks!

Sad to hear about Ivy, he was so sick, he was a fun, fun guy! Not sure of all the details, I'm in Acapulco, but my daughter in law called and told me he had passed.

I see it's cold in VA, the weather here is awesome.

How are you doing with the WL? I'm going for a fill when I get back, I've had way too good of a time, too many "spirits", it's been over 1.5 year, so I guess it's time.

By the way, the only place I use the card is Golden Corral, yuk, I don't like the foods, only the Soup, so it's not often. One of my fav restaurants is Uno's, they have a fab' soup bar for lunch.

Nice to see you on line...take care.

Yes that was sad about Ivy.

I'm doing fairly well. I was stuck for a while, but seem to be on the move again. I'm down 61 lbs.

I was in Farm Fresh about a week or so ago and I thought it might have been you in the store. I was on my way to work so I couldn't stop to ask. Its funny too because I think last time I went for a fill your mom was there again. That is just so strange.

Hope you had a good time on your vacation.