Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Arthritis meds after surgery

Is anyone taking arthritis medicine after surgery? I really need mine and I can't find any information anywhere. I am afraid to ask my doctor, because if I can't have medicine for the arthritis all over my body, I may consider canceling my surgery on the 21st. I don't want to after all I have been through, but the pain of the arthritis is almost unbearable. :D Please let me know if you are taking something and how it is working for you. Thanks.

Is anyone taking arthritis medicine after surgery? I really need mine and I can't find any information anywhere. I am afraid to ask my doctor, because if I can't have medicine for the arthritis all over my body, I may consider canceling my surgery on the 21st. I don't want to after all I have been through, but the pain of the arthritis is almost unbearable. :) Please let me know if you are taking something and how it is working for you. Thanks.

HI. I was given a card to keep with me at all times.IT reads Patient Considerations -No Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs(NSAIDS),Arthritis Medications, or medications known to produce ulcers. i Hope this helps ,but you should talk to your Dr. NOW!!!!!!! GOOD LUCKY Kerry

Hi -- I haven't been banded yet, am newly looking into it, but I have rheumatoid arthritis for which I take many drugs -- prednisone, enbril, methotrexate, etc. and I'm concerned about being asked to go off my drugs, too. There is a thread regarding this. Put in key word "arthritis" and it should come up. Evidently this differs from doctor to doc. Some doctors did not make patient give up drugs.

I have arthritis and I was banded in March, 2008. I was taking Plaquenil and Methotrexate and was told they were both ok to take. I'm now off of Plaquenil and just taking Methotrexate because since the weight loss has started I don't need the Plaquenil. I was also told that I can take Glucosomine. Hope this helps.

Hi I didn't have to give up my arthritis meds, but i was strongly suggested to stop taking them just after i had to have an unfill--due to illnesses, intolerances, allergies. I was taking an Nsaid for osteoarthritis. I am now taking Arthritis strength Tylenol. Believe me it isn't the same but it helps. My goal was to get enough weight off so that I will stop hurting. However, with almost 50 lbs gone, I am moving a lot more and it seems I hurt a lot more....go figure.

Hi there... I don't know if I'm too late (I just found this age appropriate group) but I live on Celebrex and 2 weeks before my surgery I stopped taking it... was achy (knees & Hips), trouble getting off couch, walking down stairs, you name it... had my surgery last tues Dec. 2 and can't believe this but, the liquid diet I'm on must be helping because I've been able to move sooo much easier and haven't taken my Celebrex (I'm not taking pain meds any longer either) Again, hope I'm not too late best of luck to you, it's worth it!!!!!

I was taking Naprosyn for years pre-surgery. Stopped two weeks before surgery on 3/25/09. I was in so much pain going off of it. I figured I would be able to go back on it after surgery, but never asked the question. Well, my discharge papers showed that I am never to take it again. So far, I'm just a bit achy without it, and hope that as the weight drops, I won't need it at all.

Hi there... I don't know if I'm too late (I just found this age appropriate group) but I live on Celebrex and 2 weeks before my surgery I stopped taking it... was achy (knees & Hips), trouble getting off couch, walking down stairs, you name it... had my surgery last tues Dec. 2 and can't believe this but, the liquid diet I'm on must be helping because I've been able to move sooo much easier and haven't taken my Celebrex (I'm not taking pain meds any longer either) Again, hope I'm not too late best of luck to you, it's worth it!!!!!

I too had been taking Celebrex for many years prior to Banding. SInce Banding I only take Tordol or Tylenol extra strength...

My doc does not want me taking Nsaids as they can cause stomach irritation/erosion... and actually since I've lost 65 lbs my knees and back problems have beenmore manageable.. I try to get reg exercise and just take the Extra Str. Tylenol when I have flare ups.

Good luck to you dear!

I have Ankylosing Spondylitis and am taking Celebrex (most smomach friendly of the NSAIDS). My Dr also makes me take Prevacid to help with the stomach problems. You might try that approach.

Even though losing weight has helped, I still go through periods when moving isn't fun.

Any of you on Humira, Enbrel, or Remicade? I'm looking into gettting on one of them.

Bruce

Edited by Brewa2000

Hi I didn't have to give up my arthritis meds, but i was strongly suggested to stop taking them just after i had to have an unfill--due to illnesses, intolerances, allergies. I was taking an Nsaid for osteoarthritis. I am now taking Arthritis strength Tylenol. Believe me it isn't the same but it helps. My goal was to get enough weight off so that I will stop hurting. However, with almost 50 lbs gone, I am moving a lot more and it seems I hurt a lot more....go figure.

I posted this quite awhile ago and since then I have had to be unfilled 3 times. the 3rd time I was throwing up blood. They figure it was because of the long term (16+yrs) use of the NSAIDS. I am no longer taking them and am not allowed to take any kind of NSAID again. I just wanted to send out a warning to those of you that are still taking them. Not saying that this will happen to you, but please be cautious. I'm getting my fills again, but it is now a slower process. I've lost about 60 lbs in about 16 months, and I'm going at them at a much slower pace. take care ....

I know anything that might eat into the stomach or may cause bleeding is pretty much out. I am on Plavix and baby asprin for my heart problems. The surgeon wanted me to stay off the asa and hold the plavix after surgery. My cardioligist insisted I go back one both. Surgeon gave me cytotec to take with the asa. So far so good.

I'm pain free now. No longer need my meds so it's not an issue any longer. but I was also told NO NSAIDS. If I do have pain I'm only allowed tylenol. It causes your stomach to bleed, and your stomach is already sensitive due to the band. Not a good mix. After you lose some weight I promise you'll be more comfortable. I couldn't go up stairs, had trouble getting up off the couch, couldn't dance or raise my arms over my head. I even had trouble tying my shoes. I do aerobics now, and up and down the stairs several times a day. No pain. It's HEAVEN and one of the reasons I had the LapBand in the first place.

hi. dont be afraid you can take your meds after surgery, i take celebrex and ultram twice a day .....just remember to drink Water slowly with pills and they go down ok ...good luck:smile: