Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Mexican fill patients & Dr. Malley

Guest HappyBander

I want to echo the positive comments about Dr Malley. He moved from the other office due to some professional issues that I fully support. I am a health care professional and fully understand the issues. I felt very uncomfortable on my first visit to the old site after Dr Malley had left. I'm not concerned as to the manner in his leaving. He is a very professional physician who cares a great deal about his patients. He is with us for the long haul in our weight loss process. I had a friend who was insurance approved for Dr Malley and the other site was just going to have another physician, who my friend had never met, do the surgery without any consultation with my friend.

I work in kc and was banded by dr malley 8/25/05. I think he is a very professional doctor and his staff is wonderful. I went to a seminar by him while at mwibs and followed him to his new office on north oak. Many of you may not know alot of details, but I do know there was some legal issues he endured related to leaving and taking patients (which he did not call any patient...maybe why some think he was doing things wrong). I was fortunate enough to have a friend who clued me in on where he was and why. I think things were not going to well at mwibs and he left while it was still good??? Just my opinion, nothing factual about it.

I am planning on getting banded the end of April in Mexico. Looking for a fill doctor close to kansas city. Anyone have any ideas? thanks!

dear shellysms, The only fills I have recieved have been through the weight loss centers of america in the kc area, dr malley and a dr lopez both left this group and went out on their own ventures and are barred from performing services within a certain mile radius of this clinic. I have good luck with this center their pa does these at a out reach clinic in wichita which is closer to where i live. hope this helps you a little.

shellysms,

Your Mexican lapband doctor can probably give you a list of local doctors who will give you fills. My Mexican doctor did. Who did your band?

Good luck on your search.

I was banded in Mexico in Nov. 06. Dr. Malley does my fills in Kansas City, his number is 913-492-2530. He is very busy so it is sometimes difficult to get in.

I would encourage those of you that have been put off by the $2,000.00 'banded elsewhere patient fee' to contact Dr. Malley's new office. I don't believe that was Dr. Malley's idea or that he endorsed it. I spoke to his office admin & she said he would absolutely NOT be charging the $2,000 upfront. Call to make sure, but that's what I was told. I'll post the contact info again for everyone's convenience:

Dr. Stephen Malley

10640 W 87th St

Overland Park, KS 66214

913-851-3482

I still don't like the fact (if it's true) that he simply walked in, turned in his letter of resignation, and left -- that's very unprofessional & inconsiderate of everyone -- staff and patients.

Dr. Malley is in a new really nice office and the address is 5820 Lamar, Suite 200, Mission KS. Just take I-35 to the Lamar exit. IT is easy to find him.

He is wonderful. He took me in for fills and I had my band placed by Ariel Ortiz in Tijuina. I am lucky to have him as my doc.

Just call Darlene @ 913-492-2530 Malley Surgical Weight Loss Center.

I drive down from St. Joseph and that is so much nicer than flying south.

He is a little shy at first but then as he gets to know you he visits a little more.

I want to echo the positive comments about Dr Malley. He moved from the other office due to some professional issues that I fully support. I am a health care professional and fully understand the issues. I felt very uncomfortable on my first visit to the old site after Dr Malley had left. I'm not concerned as to the manner in his leaving. He is a very professional physician who cares a great deal about his patients. He is with us for the long haul in our weight loss process. I had a friend who was insurance approved for Dr Malley and the other site was just going to have another physician, who my friend had never met, do the surgery without any consultation with my friend.

Dr. Malley is very genuine and I too am a medical professional. I am a registered radiation therapist and I think he is wonderful. He took me in and I was banded in Tijuina Mexico. I feel lucky to have him.

Hey rsduhe,

Are there any plans underway for the get-together? After having been banded on 7-18, (and not having any fills yet) I don't have any restrictions. So, I know I'm eating too much. I also drink with my meals to prevent that 'stuck' feeling. I think I need a swift kick to get myself in gear. I didn't fight the insurance company for 9 months to let this procedure be a failure. Bottom line? I think the moral support and friendships would be good for me. Please keep me posted.

I live in Leavenworth and would be interested. I am waiting for a Medicare Approved Facility before I can do anything...but would like the support in waiting.

Hi, all! I'm a newbie, not banded yet, but I've started the wheels turning. Still not 100% sure if this is really for me, or not, I still have to work that out for myself, BUT... If I do this, it will be at the Tallgrass Center in Topeka, KS. That's the closest place to me that has surgeons that do the lap band that my insurance covers. It's a network thing. :tired

Anyway, I have a friend who really would like to consider it, but it is totally out of the question for her, because of the cost, and her insurance doesn't cover it. I was wondering how much of a savings can be expected by traveling to Mexico for the surgery? This might be an alternative that she might want to look into.

Any info you can give me would be great!

:eek: Excellence is achievable. Perfection is God's business.:confused:

The savings would be dependant upon the current price she has been quoted. Dr. Rodriguez in Acuna, Mexico is about $7000.00 or so. I think he is running a special. I just had my first fill (not with Dr. Rodriguez) and paid $200.00 total. I haven't had any complications. I stayed on the liquids for 2 weeks and then the mushies. I even decided not to have the fill at 6 wks as suggested as I wanted to make sure I was completely healed as I have no money for complications. Feel free to shoot me a line if you have any other question.

I went to Dr. Ariel Ortiz in Tijuana. He was wonderful. It was $8500 and that included hotel. You had to take care of airfare. I spent one night at his surgical facility but they still paid for my hotel room for my Mom to stay in. www.obesitycontrolcenter.com

I had very little pain and was pleasantly surprised. I was up and ready to go to the hotel first the next morning and I was the 3rd surgery the day before. I would highly recommend them. I was a self pay and got wonderful care for $8500.

Your friend just needs to email them and a rep will call her back.

Tell her good luck. Dr. Malley in Mission Ks does my fills as I wanted a local doc for after care. He has been a Godsend to me.

Kay

dear shellysms, The only fills I have recieved have been through the weight loss centers of america in the kc area, dr malley and a dr lopez both left this group and went out on their own ventures and are barred from performing services within a certain mile radius of this clinic. I have good luck with this center their pa does these at a out reach clinic in wichita which is closer to where i live. hope this helps you a little.

Could you give me the name and number of the PA in Wichita where you get your fills? I know someone in Wichita that is looking for a fill doc.

Thanks so much!

Any experience with Mary C Vernon in Lawrence, Ks.? She is very favorably mentioned in this week's Men's Health magazine.