Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help with selecting surgeon in Aust for excess skin removal.

Hi everyone, after 3.5years of being banded I have shed about 75Kg, I was 165Kg and now around 88Kg and goal is 85Kg. I am 179Cm and pretty active going to the gym about 4 times a week for the past year, despite that I can't see that any amount of exercise will get rid of the excess skin, that losing 75Kg+ has left me with.

I was in Malaysia recently and visited a surgeon from Gorgous Getaways who advised me I would need 4 operations, Tummy Tuck, male chest reduction, Thigh lift and buttock lift, the excess skin would reduce my weight about 3-4kg as well and could all be done in one operation, overnight stay in hospital, 2 week stay in Kuala Lumpur for dressings to be changed etc, all up about $15K AUstralian including all fees and accomodation.

I would much prefer getting it done locally in Australia, has anyone had any similar work done locally ideally, or abroad? Any help would be appreciated, when I get the procedure done, I will update the post and offer any assistance to anyone considering getting it done as well.

Oh golly, I'd be really really careful about using Gorgeous Getaways. There's been some horrendous reports on botched up jobs and difficult aftercare.

I know that Chickie ended up getting most of the cost of her Tummy Tuck covered due to visiting a reconstructive surgeon rather than a costmetic or general plastic surgeon - it all had a medicare item number. She's rarely here these days but perhaps if you seek out her username and PM her?

In Australia, you have to do it the right way and approach it as a reconstructive thing, which given the weight you've lost, shouldnt be hard to argue. So speak to your GP about that rather than just asking for a referral to anyone.

Thank you Jacqui, I will definitely look further into it, and talk to my GP, thank you for the advice. :thumbup:

I have met quite a few girls over the years that have had breast implants done in Thailand and they were all very happy with their results. As for Tummy Tuck, male chest reduction, Thigh lift and buttock lift you really need to find a doctor with a lot of experience, so if you decide to get it done abroad,or at home research doctors and hospitals. There are great doctors everywhere, just do your research.

Hi everyone, I am in Adelaide (SA) in a hotel a few minutes from Adelaide Memorial hospital Dec 21 - Sunday. Tomorrow Dec 22 at 7AM I get admitted for stage 1 of my surgery to remove excess skin. Stage 1 comprises of 1 x Radical Tummy Tuck, and Male breast reduction. Total cost inc GST $6030 surgeon, $800 Aneathesist, $0.00 for assistant, $200 for chest and tummy compression garment (Needed to be worn for 2-6 weeks) and $250 excess for hospital, I will be staying at hospital Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, on XMAS day between 8and 9AM I am allowed to fly home to Sydney, assuming there are no complications, stitches where my belly button is re-positioned are able to be removed by a local surgeon. Stage two entails a Thigh Lift :tongue_smilie: (I have lots of skin on my thighs) and a buttock lift. Cost is going to be slightly under 7K all up for this second procedure. The quotes I had in sydney were about 4 times as much as in Adelaide, the Adelaide doctor also gave me medicare numbers so I will also get some $$$ back from Medicare :tongue: Will update some more details after 1st and second stage are completed.

Am happy to give more details when stage 1 is completed and I am back to accessing my PC after XMAS, stage 2 is scheduled for 8 Jan 2009, assuming I recover enough by then, should be OK. Am really nervous and so excited, I just hope it all works out like it is supposed to. :lol: Merry Xmas to everyone, and thank you for all the support and advice I have been given from this forum for teh 3.5 years of my Lapband journey. Weight today is 89Kg, after both procedures it should drop about 4-5Kg, making my weight almost exactly 1/2 of what I was prior to being banded :eek: Amazing!!!! Anyone who is considering getting banded, stop wondering and do it, it was the best thing I have ever done in my life, it has changed my life in so many ways.....

Hey Nigel,

firstly congratulations on your weight loss! and the new you! I was just reading your post and was going to suggest a surgeon in Adelaide, but as i read further i see you your way ahead of me...lol! I had my lap band Dec 07, TT Jun 08 and breast reduction Sep 08 all performed in Adelaide. All surgeries combined cost $7000 after insurance and medicare. As I'm sure you'll agree money well spent!! I have lost a total of 107lbs and feel great! would recommend this process to anyone who has struggled with weight loss. Out of curiosity who was the surgeon Dr Kollias performed my TT and BR, cant say enough, he was great!! Good luck with your future procedures!! Will you be posting any pics?:thumbup:

Trudy

Hope you're feeling better now Nigel and that you're thrilled with the results. I'm glad you stayed in Australia, the thougth of what could go wrong is horrendous. Breast implants are a pretty simple procedure compared to major body reconstruction and you need good aftercare.