Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Watch what you eat? or Just let the band work?

If you had your band 6 months or longer and you keep losing weight.....are you watching and counting calories??? Or you just letting the band be your guide?

I've heard some people on here say "Just let the band"

I've lost about 30lbs and I haven't gained anything...but I've stopped losing. I haven't been counting calories but I walk and do upper body weights almost everyday....kinda on the fence about getting my band a little tighter. I get stuff stuck now....but I eat to fast and don't chew like I should .....but I slow down or stop when I start to slim :eek:

Your Thoughts???????????????

I was banded in July and I do a little of both. I eat healthy and unheathly stuff. Mostly I think I am letting the band work. I get on kicks where I eat very little and very healthy but every now and then I need a little piece of chocolate. They way I see it is when on WW I was able to do that same things, except my hunger always got the best of me. Now the hunger is not the same...I say live your life, just in less quantity.

I have been banded almost 5 1/2 mos...as a matter of fact, two days after you were banded.

In answer to your question, I would say both. You have to watch what you eat then let the band do its part and control how much of it you can eat. I do not count calories, fat grams, carb grams etc. I do not journal my food either. But I do focus on lean meats and high Fiber veggies and fruits and some whole grains. I avoid starchy foods and I look for healthy opitions for when my sweet tooth needs something.

I do have the occasional goody but I don't make a habit of it.

Edited by Jodi_620

My weightloss was a miracle to me and everyone who knows me.

I've been on maintenance for 10 months now. I'm holding steady at 140lbs. I go down to 137 (and eat alot more) or up to 142 (and just watch it for a day or so).

I went into this knowing I've done every diet, program, pill, etc. Also, I cannot exercise my large muscle groups like most can.

So, this was all band. No dieting or exercise.

But this was my case, many others I've heard have to exercise or diet to lose weight.

My weightloss was a miracle to me and everyone who knows me.

I've been on maintenance for 10 months now. I'm holding steady at 140lbs. I go down to 137 (and eat alot more) or up to 142 (and just watch it for a day or so).

I went into this knowing I've done every diet, program, pill, etc. Also, I cannot exercise my large muscle groups like most can.

So, this was all band. No dieting or exercise.

But this was my case, many others I've heard have to exercise or diet to lose weight.

Quick question for ya then...with all due respect:

So if it was "all band and no dieting" where is the need for maintaining?

There is nothing wrong with admitting you had/have to watch what you eat. You said yourself that you watch it for a day or so...and why is that? Because you will gain back some weight, that is why. So, just admit that you DO have to work with the band and not that is is just a MIRACLE!

Edited by TracyK

6 months post op here. I lose about 1-3 pounds a week depending on the efforts I put in. I do log my food at dailyplate.com . I do that so I can see what works and what doesnt.. easier to keep track of my Protein count too. You can also print it out and take it to the doctors when you go in for check ups.

Yes you probably need a fill.. especially if you're eating too fast. That itself is an indication that you are not tight enough. I would follow the bandster rules to the T for a couple weeks to see if you're getting hungry, can eat too much, or if you're losing.

Quick question for ya then...with all due respect:

So if it was "all band and no dieting" where is the need for maintaining?

There is nothing wrong with admitting you had/have to watch what you eat. You said yourself that you watch it for a day or so...and why is that? Because you will gain back some weight, that is why. So, just admit that you DO have to work with the band and not that is is just a MIRACLE!

When anyone reaches a goal, it must be maintained so that it won't go away. I've found that to be true with many goals in my life, not just weightloss.

I watch what I eat sometimes because I want to ensure I get adequate nutrition. For me, if I have dessert one day, I don't want to the next. Old habits are hard to break and backsliding is easy. I'm sure it will take years for my new lifestyle to become permanent. Took 30 to gain it, it's gonna take more than just 1 to keep it off.

For me, the band is a miracle. Others may not feel that way. But isn't that part of what makes the band so wonderful? It can work for many different types of people.

I'm 6 months post-op and yes I watch what I eat. I try to eat as healthy as possible and I do log all of my calories. Mostly to keep me accountable, but also because I exercise a lot and I try to see what combinations of things give me the best workout experience. I tried the "let the band do the work" mentality right after surgery and for part of the summer. It didn't work for me. It wasn't until I decided to make some lifestyle changes that the weight loss really kicked in. It's starting to come off slower and slower so I really have to work at it right now. I feel better than I ever have and that's mostly due to my improved nutrition. Weightloss has been a positive side effect to eating better. Now, with all of that said, I do still enjoy food and treats. I just do it in moderation now. And it's a still a journey as I have bad days just like everyone else. I'm not perfect and neither is my weight loss. There are lots of things I could probably do better, but I'm enjoying my life like never before. So, it's all okay with me. Good luck!