Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Frist fill today, OUCH!!!

I've read and read on here that it's not too bad, it doesn't hurt, well, IT DOES. It did hurt a lot more than I expected, but it wasn't so much or so prolonged that I couldn't handle it. So, for all of you waiting to get your first fill....IT WILL HURT. Just take a bunch of little breaths, close your eyes and wait for it to be done. I think the doctors probing and pushing around with their fingers hurt much worse than the actual poke did. My port is right under my longest incision on the front of my stomach, and that one is still tender anyway. I had my surgery 9/12/08 and my first fill today 11/4/08. I had 4cc in an AP standard band, which I think holds 12-14cc. I made an appointment for my next fill in three weeks the second I got home. With the holidays coming up, I wanted to make sure I got in again before everyone was to busy.

BTW-Did you know there is actually Fluid in your band now? They test it for leaks first and inevitably leave some in. SO--there was already 2cc in my band, they sucked that out and put 4cc in. So I actually only have 2cc more than I started with. Kind of a bummer. I wish they would have put it all in so I'd have 6. Just seems like a way for them to make me come back more to make more money.:(

I've only lost 19lbs since surgery, and all of that in the first 2 weeks, so I hope this will start things up again. Good luck to all:smile2:

I just had my first fill today and I am beginning to think that some people are just idiots. The nurse (Dr. left for lunch and couldn't be bothered - Shout out to Dr. Jay at Dallas Bariatric Center). The nurse used the lidocaine to numb it and then all I felt was the big huge needle going into my stomach. I have had lidocaine before for IV's and afterwards I have never felt any needles. I think your person and my person came from the same stupid college. Next time if it hurts I am going to tell the Dr. he needs to do it or I will file a complaint against them.

It shouldn't hurt. Don't let them hurt you! Make someone else do the fill next time and then if it hurts then maybe there is something else to look into as to why.

i have on;ly had one fill ...i had surgery on 9/8..one fill on 11/18..see doc on 12/18 and will see what he says about the fill. i have only lost 22 lbs..i expectred to be much more than that by this time.

i was walking and havent been cause of cold weather..going to force myself to go tomorrow even if its cold.. and am looking into a gym..exercise is so key

as far as the pain my fill was painless. im glad for that since i hate needes and pain...i need TONS of novacaine to even get a tooth filled..my body seems to absorb it too fast.

anywy...hope everyone is doing well with all the holiday goodie temptations. Its worth it to say NO!

Diane

I had my first fill today and I had no pain. I didn't feel the little needle with the numbing medication nor did I feel the port needle. I did feel immediate restriction. But nada pain.

Everyone is different, for me I feel a tiny pinch at first and then nothing. I don't have my doc use lidocaine and numb me at all.

I had my first fill on 12/1 - 3 cc. The Doctor told me that up to that point they had done nothing to help me lose weight. My surgery was on 10/29. I have lost 22 lbs since starting a 2 week liquid diet before surgery and then up to my first post-op appt on 11/10. So that was like 3.5 weeks. That was ALL me doing it too - which was encouraging. MY FILL HURT. I have a huge ugly bruise still from that fill. It has almost been a week and a half since the fill and the bruise is Yellow, Purple and in some instance red - the red is new like something is bleeding in there. I also have pain from there. I went bowling on Sat - which was 40 days after my surgery and I strained something by my port. HURTS!!!!

Just want to find out if anyone else had bruising with the fill.

Thanks Molly Anne! Also do the October Bandsters have a name? Just wondered!:lol:

Does any one know why the doctor tells you to have only protien drinks, Water,and crystle light for three days after a fill? I have had two fills and I have not figured it out.

Thanks

bradley18

Had my first fill today, and talk about painful! I wasn't even expecting to get one since my surgery was less than 3 weeks ago, but the doc seemed to think it was ok, especially since he doesn't have any appointments open before the new year. But back to the fill...I hate needles anyway, so that was the first thing. Then he wiggled it around for about 30 seconds before taking it out and sticking the needle in again:blink:. That time he got it, but I thought I was going to cry! And then he breezed out of the office without giving me so much as a Bandaid (which I really needed). I trust my doc, and have heard lots of good about his capabilities but he's way too pressed for time whenever I see him. I think that's why it hurt so much...

Does any one know why the doctor tells you to have only protien drinks, Water,and crystle light for three days after a fill? I have had two fills and I have not figured it out.

Thanks

bradley18

I don't know. Each doctor is different. Mine doesn't require anything special after a fill.

Just had my first fill yesterday and I didn't feel a thing. I really think it the individual person. So, I don't think it's fair to make those who haven't had it done yet worry.

I had my surgery 10/28, first fill 12/12 and I am down 21 pounds. It has been the best decision ever. I am so much happier.

Thanks

bradley18

My doc said the stomach is a mean grouchy patient and hates to be adjusted.Sometimes the stomach swells after a fill and they don't want you to hurt yourself or get something stuck from being swollen .Now that said the last three times I did have swelling from the fills but oddly it didn't happen right away it took about a week, so I would suggest going real slow and be very careful for a week or two until the swelling goes down and your body adjusts to the new fill level.

Thanks

bradley18

It gives the band time to get use to being smaller. I cheat and only do it for 1-2 days since I don't seem to throw up when I do. I think you have to try different things and see what you can get away with.

Just had my first fill yesterday and I didn't feel a thing. I really think it the individual person. So, I don't think it's fair to make those who haven't had it done yet worry.

I had my surgery 10/28, first fill 12/12 and I am down 21 pounds. It has been the best decision ever. I am so much happier.

I think it is better for newbies to go in knowing that it might hurt instead of being told it won't and then you feel a lot of pain. if someone had told me it might hurt then I would have been mentally prepared and then if it didn't I would have been relieved instead of in pain and doubting the nurses abilities when she kept telling me I wasn't going to feel a thing.

Just because you didn't have any pain doesn't mean that others shouldn't be prepared for it because some of us do. your not seeing both sides.

Thanks

bradley18

My doctor doesn't require any special diet before or after a fill...?

I had my first fill on 12/1 - 3 cc. The Doctor told me that up to that point they had done nothing to help me lose weight. My surgery was on 10/29. I have lost 22 lbs since starting a 2 week liquid diet before surgery and then up to my first post-op appt on 11/10. So that was like 3.5 weeks. That was ALL me doing it too - which was encouraging. MY FILL HURT. I have a huge ugly bruise still from that fill. It has almost been a week and a half since the fill and the bruise is Yellow, Purple and in some instance red - the red is new like something is bleeding in there. I also have pain from there. I went bowling on Sat - which was 40 days after my surgery and I strained something by my port. HURTS!!!!

Just want to find out if anyone else had bruising with the fill.

Thanks Molly Anne! Also do the October Bandsters have a name? Just wondered!:tongue2:

I also had a pretty large bruise, but they also dug around looking for mine and poked me twice.... :thumbup:

I have had 3 fills so far and I am at 5cc's in a 10 cc band. None of my fills hurt until the last one I had last week. The dr. seemed to be in a bad mood from the start and in a big hurry. he couldnt find my port then he pulled back real hard on the syringe and I busted out in tears, he sucked up all this yellow stuff. I asked what that was and he said it was melted fat. I was like OK... all I know is that it hurt so bad. I have a huge bruse right under my longest scar being that was where my port is. I need to make an apt for another fill as I feel like I am getting closer to where I need to be but I am scared to go in for another one. I think i need to be about 6cc's.

So I agree with you about it hurting. I am not looking forward to doing this again!

I have had 3 fills so far and I am at 5cc's in a 10 cc band. None of my fills hurt until the last one I had last week. The dr. seemed to be in a bad mood from the start and in a big hurry. he couldnt find my port then he pulled back real hard on the syringe and I busted out in tears, he sucked up all this yellow stuff. I asked what that was and he said it was melted fat. I was like OK... all I know is that it hurt so bad. I have a huge bruse right under my longest scar being that was where my port is. I need to make an apt for another fill as I feel like I am getting closer to where I need to be but I am scared to go in for another one. I think i need to be about 6cc's.

So I agree with you about it hurting. I am not looking forward to doing this again!

You know what I am starting see is that some (not all) of these doctors just don't give a shit. They get their money and they perform the surgery and then you are just another person coming through the door that needs their help.

How sad that some doctors don't take pride in actually helping people, but are more motivated by money. :confused_smile: