Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pressure from lap-band tubing on diaphragm

I ended up in the ER on Halloween Night...with shortness of breath, and sharp pain behind my left rib just over my stomach. Kind of felt like a stitch when you run, but worse, I couldn't take a deep breath.

I had my surgery on Oct 22nd, 2008, so the first thing they wanted to rule out was Pulmonary Embolism.

I had an EKG, X-ray, and a CAT scan, Nubain for pain.

It turns out that the pain is from my Lap-Band tubing that has found it's way to put pressure on my diaphragm.

Phone calls to my surgeon, helped the ER doc with what to do....they took about 3 cc from my port, it hasn't alleviated all of the pain, but it is a little better.

The worst thing about this is that since they removed the 3cc, I have been able to eat... I haven't been as bad as I could have been with all this Halloween candy around. I see the surgeon, tomorrow...hopefully I can get filled again, and that this does not require a surgery to repair.

I have had something similar since last Thursday. I was banded on 4/4/08 and have no problems at all, then in September I had right abdominal pain kinda above the belly button. My dr. kept saying it was a UTI, but I never had any of the classic symptoms. But after being on 4 different antibiotics, last week I started having shortness of breath. Went to lapband dr. they took out all of my 4.5 cc (sigh!) but surprisingly my appetite is still in check, maybe it is the 6 months of eating so little. Unfortunately, the unfill did not help the shortness of breath. Next, I ended up in E.R. with catscans of chest and abdomon, x-rays and blood work. So far they can't find anything wrong. My internal dr. thinks something is irritating the diaphram - so that is why your post caught my attention. Let me know what you find out! Have you had any infections which required antibiotics?

Good luck - hope you get some answers too.

2befree: I had repeat surgery on Nov. 5th, Dr. Pitt couldn't find anything wrong. I am still having the pain under my left ribs when I take a breath, sometimes it is worse than at other times. They took out the last 1cc from my port during OR. Let me know what they find out with you. I have a follow up meeting with Dr on Nov 18th, I hope my pain will have resolved by then so I can get filled again.

Okay, I'm in a pickle and I'm hoping to find some advice/help here. I'm an oldtimer - was banded south of the border 10/04. I lost a lot of weight within the first year (90+ lbs), then slowly it creeped back up (still down 30+lbs). My insurance wants nothing to do with my lapband. We have had some serious money issues, and we cannot afford to pay for me to go see someone (even though I've called about three different band doctors in Washington, and they have all refused to see me - due to me being banded in Mexico). I've been to the ER twice, both times they didn't know what the heck to do with me, gave me some numbing medicine for GERD, and sent me home. Here are my symptoms:

Painful breathing, can't really take a very big breath - getting increasingly worse. It feels just like the bottom section of my lungs are being agitated by my diaphram, which is being pushed up by my band - I'm not a doctor, but that's what it feels like.

Pain so bad it makes me cry - like tonight, when I can't sleep and it's 1am. It's a constant heavy ache, that a few doctors believe is acid reflux (although it seems to just sit at my band, and not come up at all).

Bloating in the mid section - I know this seems trivial, but I honestly feel that the whole area surrounding my band is just really swollen.

Never knowing if I will be able to eat - sometimes there is no restriction, sometimes it comes right up. I do the hot liquids either way.

I've emailed my Mexican doc to find out if I can have my band removed (after 4 years - 3 years of which have been a constant struggle, I'm ready to get it out). I don't know what it's like to just feel like a normal person anymore. I swear, I would rather deal with the weight issues than the constant pain I am in. I just feel like I'm caught between a rock and a hard place - no Washington band doc wants to deal with me, no one who isn't a band doc knows what they should do for me, and even if I found a band doc, I'm not sure I could afford it (and no, I can't get a credit card that would work). Any help would really be appreciated.:(

TM12-

I hope the revision surgery works - do they think you are just swollen from the surgeries? Or do they just not know what to do? How experienced is your dr.? Mine actually has 9 or 10 yrs. experience with the lap band (first dr. in Texas to perform lapband). So I would like to believe him when he says my band is not responsible for shortness of breath, but since no one else knows either - I don't know what to think! I had a CT on Thursday and I am awaiting those results - this all gets kinda scarey when no one seems to know what to do for me.

Cond-

Have you looked at out-of-state doctors? Have you had any CT scans or MRIs? I know you have to be beyond sick of it by now! I have really loved my band and done so well until now - I hope this is not band related, I don't want my band out yet.

Keep in touch with what you both find out.

Update: talked with my doc, he did pull the tubing down off my diaphragm. After another trip to the ER, ER doc thinks it might be muscle spasms in my abdominal wall. I took flexerall (muscle relaxant) and it seems to be helping me more than the oxycodone. I am off work for 1 more week to relax and take flexerall...hopefully time will take care of this.

How did they move the tubing down? Did you have another surgery? Well, I ended up at the pulmonolgist yesterday because my shortness of breath hadn't gotten any better. He explained that it wasn't exactly "in my head", but that I truly probably had some shortness of breath but had since been hyperventilating because I have been having tingly hands and lightheadness (symptoms of hyperventilating). He sent me home with a small dose of valum "to take the edge off". He said my lungs sound fine, etc. I am trying to relax and believe him, but I know my body and something is still not okay. When I eat, I start having this shortness of breath sensation I am going to try to wait it out and see what happens.:thumbup: Keep in touch with your progress.

a few months back, Chickie had surgery to shorten her tubing becuase it was causing similar problems. They took about a foot out of it I believe and as far as I know, that solved her problems.

2befree: I had repeat surgery on Nov. 5th, Dr. Pitt couldn't find anything wrong. I am still having the pain under my left ribs when I take a breath, sometimes it is worse than at other times. They took out the last 1cc from my port during OR. Let me know what they find out with you. I have a follow up meeting with Dr on Nov 18th, I hope my pain will have resolved by then so I can get filled again.

Oh my, I have been searching the net for months trying to find someone with a similar problem to mine!!! I too had the same problem and had surgery to have my tubing shortened. The tubing seems to have weaseled its way back where it was cos I am still in pain everyday and have to take endone (vicodin?) everyday. My surgeon keeps saying he doesnt know whats causing it and my gp thinks I am turning in a junkie needing the pain meds. ITS SO FRUSTRATING!!! I would love to hear more about your story.

tania - australia

Tania,

I went to the dr. and he thinks my side abdominal pain might be scar tissue and isn't convinced that the band has anything to do with my breathing problems. However, it happens everytime I eat - I kinda feel breathless and when I move around too much I get winded. He said he could go in laproscopically and remove the scar tissue (adhesions) and then look around to see if he could find anything wrong. He did a flourscopy and everything looks good and normal. At this time, I think I'm gonna wait it out and see. My insurance is really bad - and I was self-pay for the band, so I really don't want to have surgery if he doesn't think it will help. Keep in touch about your situation. :wink:

Deidra

Thanks so much for your reply, I hadnt seen it until today! I am still having the same problems. My doctor says I really dont have any choice and must have the band removed. Even though I think he may be right I am really sad that it hasnt worked out the way I thought it would and I am terrified of having more surgery and the possibility of gaining weight back. I can't win!

Well, I hate to hear that you might lose your band. Actually, things have changed for me. I went to an internist and he found out I have hypothyroidism and put me on Synthroid and my breathing problems having pretty much gone away! It is so weird that my thyroid could have been making me feel so bad. Have you had yours checked? Just curious - the thyroid is a very complex thing! Good luck to you.

Deidra

Hey, glad they found a solution for your problem! :thumbup:I am seeing my surgeon tomorrow to decide whether bandy should come out or if there is another solution. I am kinda wondering if relocating the port might help as the pain is up around that area. Anyone else had this done?

Okay, I'm in a pickle and I'm hoping to find some advice/help here. I'm an oldtimer - was banded south of the border 10/04. I lost a lot of weight within the first year (90+ lbs), then slowly it creeped back up (still down 30+lbs). My insurance wants nothing to do with my lapband. We have had some serious money issues, and we cannot afford to pay for me to go see someone (even though I've called about three different band doctors in Washington, and they have all refused to see me - due to me being banded in Mexico). I've been to the ER twice, both times they didn't know what the heck to do with me, gave me some numbing medicine for GERD, and sent me home. Here are my symptoms:

Painful breathing, can't really take a very big breath - getting increasingly worse. It feels just like the bottom section of my lungs are being agitated by my diaphram, which is being pushed up by my band - I'm not a doctor, but that's what it feels like.

Pain so bad it makes me cry - like tonight, when I can't sleep and it's 1am. It's a constant heavy ache, that a few doctors believe is acid reflux (although it seems to just sit at my band, and not come up at all).

Bloating in the mid section - I know this seems trivial, but I honestly feel that the whole area surrounding my band is just really swollen.

Never knowing if I will be able to eat - sometimes there is no restriction, sometimes it comes right up. I do the hot liquids either way.

I've emailed my Mexican doc to find out if I can have my band removed (after 4 years - 3 years of which have been a constant struggle, I'm ready to get it out). I don't know what it's like to just feel like a normal person anymore. I swear, I would rather deal with the weight issues than the constant pain I am in. I just feel like I'm caught between a rock and a hard place - no Washington band doc wants to deal with me, no one who isn't a band doc knows what they should do for me, and even if I found a band doc, I'm not sure I could afford it (and no, I can't get a credit card that would work). Any help would really be appreciated.:crying:

I know this was awhile ago, but I was wondering if you resolved the problem. I have had this pain off and on but never like this (since the surgery) and never more than a few hours (since surgery). This is the 2nd or 3rd day and I am so short of breath and the pain under my left rib around the port side is incredible. I'm going to stay on liquids a couple of days. I am wondering if I pulled something when I was doing some weights at the gym Friday and Saturday. I was doing twisting with a weighted bar and I'm wondering if I ripped out a suture or stretched it or something. Very painful! My doctor has quit doing lapband surgery in our town due to hospital issues so I'm kind of between the rock and the hard place also. If it lasts a couple more days, I will go to the doctor. I am self-employed and don't have health insurance any more. Sigh. ANYWAY, just wondered what had become of you???^_^

I guess nobody is answering this thread anymore. Anyway, this is my 3rd bout with this, 2nd time ended up in hospital for 3 days. Couldn't breathe. This week going to a more experienced bariatric surgeon to look.